Today is a good day - Gymnastics Scholarship

Discussion in 'Truckers and Parenting' started by Mike, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

I almost drown when I was 11, mainly because I could barely swim at the time and decided to dive off a cliff like the rest of the kids were doing. Needless to say, I forgot to plan on the fact I would have to be able to swim back to the bank. I was rescued, and in a short time after that, became a very good swimmer, and eventually an excellent swimmer.

In theory, I should have had no problem swimming back. Hell, I could have swam more along with the current until I got to the end of the pier and worked my way back in from there if the current was truly as bad as I felt like it was at the time. Instead, I went into full panic mode....

Couple hours later, I was right back in the same place and having no problem, LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  2. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

:coocoo::biglaugh: i know right

3. Mike

As I said, we got the news yesterday, and she was immediately in class for her first 4 hour training session today. They also had a sleepover at the gym so she it there tonight having a blast I am sure.

4. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

:biglaugh:You almost drowned twice? :p One would think after the first time you would learn to swim.
    Sink or swim as they say.

5. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Okay fine where is the self banning button?:oops:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

When I was about 16 or so we had major flooding one summer.

The old abandoned I&M canal, which is normally just a stream, was a raging torrent.

There's an old set of locks with the gates long gone, but there's a 3 foot drop just beyond the end of the stone floor in the lock chamber.

This created the same undertow as a dam.

My friend jumped in and the current sucked him down to the bottom, carried him about 200 feet then pushed him back up to the surface.

He was FREAKED THE **** OUT and grabbed onto a tree limb and climbed out of the raging water, up into the tree and then down the trunk to shore.

Then ten minutes later he did it again, on purpose. o_O

Eventually everyone was doing it, except me. :rolleyes:

Amazingly, nobody drowned. :confused-96:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Mike

Sounds like fun (30 years ago.....)

8. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Yeah. When we were young and stupid. And full of energy and not carrying any blubber around. ;)

9. Mike

Blubber floats!

Or so I thought........:(

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1