Today is a good day - Gymnastics Scholarship

Mike

Staff member
Drowned several times each trip too. :mad:
I almost drown when I was 11, mainly because I could barely swim at the time and decided to dive off a cliff like the rest of the kids were doing. Needless to say, I forgot to plan on the fact I would have to be able to swim back to the bank. I was rescued, and in a short time after that, became a very good swimmer, and eventually an excellent swimmer.

In theory, I should have had no problem swimming back. Hell, I could have swam more along with the current until I got to the end of the pier and worked my way back in from there if the current was truly as bad as I felt like it was at the time. Instead, I went into full panic mode....

Couple hours later, I was right back in the same place and having no problem, LOL.

Mike

Staff member
As I said, we got the news yesterday, and she was immediately in class for her first 4 hour training session today. They also had a sleepover at the gym so she it there tonight having a blast I am sure.

Rigjockey

Supporter
I almost drown when I was 11, mainly because I could barely swim at the time and decided to dive off a cliff like the rest of the kids were doing. Needless to say, I forgot to plan on the fact I would have to be able to swim back to the bank. I was rescued, and in a short time after that, became a very good swimmer, and eventually an excellent swimmer.

In theory, I should have had no problem swimming back. Hell, I could have swam more along with the current until I got to the end of the pier and worked my way back in from there if the current was truly as bad as I felt like it was at the time. Instead, I went into full panic mode....

Couple hours later, I was right back in the same place and having no problem, LOL.
:biglaugh:You almost drowned twice? :p One would think after the first time you would learn to swim.
Sink or swim as they say.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
When I was about 16 or so we had major flooding one summer.

The old abandoned I&M canal, which is normally just a stream, was a raging torrent.

There's an old set of locks with the gates long gone, but there's a 3 foot drop just beyond the end of the stone floor in the lock chamber.

This created the same undertow as a dam.

My friend jumped in and the current sucked him down to the bottom, carried him about 200 feet then pushed him back up to the surface.

He was FREAKED THE **** OUT and grabbed onto a tree limb and climbed out of the raging water, up into the tree and then down the trunk to shore.

Then ten minutes later he did it again, on purpose. o_O

Eventually everyone was doing it, except me. :rolleyes:

Amazingly, nobody drowned. :confused-96: