This might be a dumb question.

Discussion in 'New Truck Driver Questions' started by TheFreightTrain, Jan 30, 2011.

  1. TheFreightTrain

    TheFreightTrain Active Member

    When taking CDL classes threw a school or college do they do the part for the road test for the CDL or would I have to find a rig of some sorts to do the test if that makes any sense.
  2. bigyellowpete

    bigyellowpete Town Bike Supporter

    Paper tests will be on paper, practical tests will be taken on school equipment if you are attending a school.
  3. TheFreightTrain

    TheFreightTrain Active Member

    Alright thanks BigYellow. I figure hey might as well ask I should say the only stupid questions are the questions that go unasked
  4. bigyellowpete

    bigyellowpete Town Bike Supporter

    Give it hell. It is always a valid question in here. If I am wrong, Sinister will let you know.
  5. Sinister

    Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

    I know nothing about breaking into the industry these days. I got my license out of a cracker jack box.
  6. bigyellowpete

    bigyellowpete Town Bike Supporter

    See, I told you he would let us know.
  7. Racer X 69

    Racer X 69 Member

    I was grandfathered when they changed the whole thing 20 years ago. When I was like 17, I got an "A endorsement" just like a motorcycle endorsement (got that one too, including trikes). I could drive anything except buses with people in them. Still can.

    I don't know if I could pass the driving part of the test today. They make you go around and look at and touch every little thing, and you gotta call it out loud for the tester guy, or he will knock points off of the score.
  8. patriciajnsn

    patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder

    When going thru a school,college or whatever,they furnish the semis.Then once you do so many hrs at the school you use their semi to take the road test at the DMV center.
  9. STP_Cowboy

    STP_Cowboy Active Member

    The tests are called written & skills test!
    No matter if it's through a college or a private institution, they all provide you with the material (books & tractor/trailer) you need to acquire a CDL.
    And being a former instructor from the "Diesel Driving Academy" here in Arkansas. You will only gain knowledge of how to get that CDL (only), they do not and will not teach you to be a good truck driver. That will be up to you. So my advice, take the classes and then find you a good local company to work for....and most importantly, listen to those who have the experience! That's where (in my opinion) you get the knowledge of how to be a good driver. That and practice being the safest driver on the big road!
    Good Luck and most importantly Be Safe!
  10. TheFreightTrain

    TheFreightTrain Active Member

    Thanks for all the help. And thats one reason why I joined the forum here to learn as much as I could from the seasoned people so I have more of a idea on whats going on.
  11. patriciajnsn

    patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder

    Well you came to the right place.Glad to have ya here.
  12. TheFreightTrain

    TheFreightTrain Active Member

    Well thanks for having me here haha. And ive joined like three or four forums and so far this one has generated the most answears for me. Think this freight train might be on this site for quite a while :)
  13. Coyote

    Coyote Member

    I went through an 8 week school at local community college. They had their own rigs and we spent a lot of time driving.
    From what I hear, colleges and tech schools all have rigs.

    It's easier to get a job if you graduate from an 8 week school.
  14. Gased

    Gased Well-Known Member

    I see you are from Flint, we have a termianl just off of 475 up there. I don't like going there but when you get some experience, look up Dayton Freight. Welcome to the forums and good luck.
  15. capefear

    capefear Member

    FreightRain, I am right there with you. I have my DOT physical out of the way, CDL permit in hand and register for driver training at a local community college. It is my understanding they provide everything you need, right up to taking the road skills test. I look forward to getting on the road. There seems to be a lot of really good folks here, and they have been posting some very helpful advice. Wishing you the best in your new career. Might see you on the road soon!
  16. TruckingBetty

    TruckingBetty Well-Known Member

    I can only speak on my experience here, but I went through my local community college truck driving program, and they gave the road test for the CDL's, and I had to take a sealed envelope to the DMV, and they took my pic, and my money, and now I R a truck driver :)
    My brother, however, went to SWIFT, and after he passed the class, he had to go to his home state and take the driving test at the DMV. Swift sent someone with him, and he used a swift truck.
    No slamming swift ok... my brother is a pretty good driver and actually likes the company.
  17. TruckingBiker


    I went through Swift school in 96. Sent my wife through a bonified trucking school in 01 and was able to train her through the company I was working for at the time. We have been trucking pretty much ever since..

  18. GAnthony

    GAnthony Well-Known Member

    given that the o/p hasn't been here since March, i am a wee bit too late...

    but as an instructor myself, i always say one (or both of these) to my students, "there are no dumb questions"......(or) "the only dumb question is the question you didn't ask"..

    i find myself asking questions to either my supervisor or co-workers, as i humbly admit, i do not know everything either.

    i think once anyone stops asking questions, it's time to roll up the sleeping bag and jump off the truck, as you DO NOT know it all......
  19. rigjockey

    rigjockey Token Canadian.

    Exactly Glenn,THE Only dumb question is the one you were afraid to ask,as for the schools some have signing authority and can raod test you and will give you a sealed envelope to take to the issuing office as was in my case.Make no mistake about it schools with signing authority test as rigorus, if not more than a issuing office tester

Share This Page