Swift: In-Cab Cameras

Discussion in 'Swift Transportation' started by Injun, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

I can longer, in good conscience, recommend Swift as a decent starter company. At one time, it was an excellent place to get started for many reasons, one of which was, they expected you to do your job with minimal supervision. You were given all the tools you needed to make your end of the bargain happen. If you screwed up, it was on you, but it wasn't because the company didn't offer you training.

They are now in the process of placing cameras in every company truck, across the board. These cameras will face both outward, at the road and inward, at you, the driver. I cannot give any positive support for this decision to keep a driver under constant surveillance. It's not fair to expect someone who is supposed to be trusted enough to haul millions of dollars worth of freight to be subjected to the added stress of this intrusion. It does not matter what excuses the executives come up with to justify this. It is not RIGHT.

I have heard everything from "It only activates when there's an event" to "It'll protect the driver (and company) from malicious claims" to "It'll reduce insurance rates" to "If you have nothing to hide..." That last one is particularly offensive to me. If you think your employee has something to hide, you need to get rid of him or her and hire someone you can trust.

Tell ya what, Swift executives: Let me put cameras up all over your house. They'll only activate if there's a loud noise or some other undescribed event to set it off. It's for your own protection, so that if something happens, police and/or fire response will be more rapid and they'll know what to expect when they get there. Don't worry. If you're having particularly boisterous sex with your spouse, the video feed will be deleted...but only after several unidentified "officials" watch it to make sure that's all that's going on. Wouldn't want a prowler-rapist to get away with it, now, would we? Aw, c'mon! You don't have anything to hide, do you?

Oh...privacy? Not my problem.

Nope. Just avoid this company if you don't want a camera in your face all the time. I sure as hell don't.

gravybird, Sinister, AK7 and 5 others like this.
  2. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Well once these are all installed, then we can have legitimate reason to laugh at & make fun of ALL Swift company drivers.

Sinister likes this.
  3. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

It's not their fault the cameras are going in.
    It's corporate band-wagon jumping.
    The drivers are just trying to earn money to support themselves and their families like everybody else.
    I won't be picking on the drivers. I have plenty more to say about these intrusions...that I would have to ban myself for.

4. Inkeper

Inkeper Well-Known Member

If I was younger I would leave when the time came to have the cameras installed. Since I am in a daycab I won't have the privacy concern that the OTR drivers will have. Also in my years here I have had 2 critical events, both were hard braking, one for an S-10 type pickup that pulled out in front of me in a construction zone coming out of L. A. about 9 years ago. The other was just last year, a teenager walked out from the front of a van into the road while looking at their phone. Both ended up being non events except that the teen needed to do some laundry, and I had a bad case of the butt puckers.

5. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

You might not, but I will.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

This will only go as far as drivers allow it to go.

Drivers who submit to these cameras are contributing to the growing intrusion of these things. They're part of the problem.

gravybird and Sinister like this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

The can kiss my a&# if they think they'll put a camera that THEY control in MY truck.

7. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

I have a forward facing camera. It'll stay that way. And I've already had to use it. Guy tried arguing g he didn't leave the scene after hitting me.

JunkYardDog5958 likes this.
  8. Dinomite

Dinomite Well-Known Member

Wow this sounds like the same over dramatic tiraid from the swift crew on the other forum. Funny how the low pay doesn't cause them outrage. But a camera that only records when the g force has been activated by either you or someone else. In the days of lazy safety people who just fire the driver anyway. This can only help keep ones job. There is no intrusion and since over 90 percent of the work force has camera's in their employment. Why shouldn't the big belly big riggers.

They should be in every car as well and forwarded to the police department and insurance companies. Maybe people would drive like civilized humans. But that's just a pipe dream. Just think you won't have to spend time making up lies anymore about pink elephants and somebody in your Lane so you rolled it. It's all on tape.

Roll Tide!!

firemedic2816 likes this.
  9. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

So you would welcome an eye spy in your face 24/7?

Duck and Injun like this.
  10. JunkYardDog5958

JunkYardDog5958 Well-Known Member

Forward facing dash cams are necessity in today's world. Too many scammers and dousche bags that know trucks have high (compared to cars) liability limits so they target us. You're seeing more and more where dash cams covered driver otherwise would've been hard to do.

11. Dinomite

Dinomite Well-Known Member

JunkYardDog5958 likes this.
  12. Osito

Osito Well-Known Member

so i guess no more sex, and no more driving naked i guess. but I guess we can always just trim our fritos to size....lmao.....

[​IMG]

13. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

I would put black tape over the camera. Then remove it back at the yard. Not sure why your camera is not working.
    Not that I would work for a place that feels the need to be along for the ride.

14. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I would either quit on the spot, or drive with tape over the lens until they fire me for it.

rigjockey likes this.
  15. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

What tape? The camera aint working. Oh I guess you are right, They would start rolling the camera when the driver got in and put the tape on.

16. AK7

AK7 Well-Known Member

I think I would smear a little dab of vasoline on it.....
    They would see a little light,but everything would be real fuzzy.

That way they can't get you for blocking the lens....

And if they call you to tell you to clean the lens,then you know they are spying on you..

ironpony and Injun like this.
  17. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Lots of drivers would be doing it at first, then like the rest of the cowards who are contributing to freedom's demise through obedience & submission, they'll quit covering it up once they get their hands slapped.

The companies will figure it out quick. Especially since they can pull up the camera feed any time they want to.

rigjockey likes this.
  18. Keendriver

Keendriver Hates all of you Supporter

We would just have to play Naked Chicken.

See who blinks first, me driving or you looking.

I got 3 eyes Bi***es.....2 for blinking and 1 for stinking.

Set that F***** on wide angle so you can get ALL this!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
    rigjockey likes this.
  19. Osito

Osito Well-Known Member

awe, just cut out a nude grandma photo, and place it directly in front of the camera when you going down the road....

the sheep will put up with the camera's and the others will find companies not using them...I guess millis, is up there with swift as far as the cameras are, think werner starting to put them in also....so there's 3 down...

20. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

And the f***tards who think they're great & spew out all that "if you have nothing to hide" crap are the worst.

They're the types I'm sure would've (justifiably) had their bones broken by other truckers back in these "good old days" the old timers are always talking about.

AK7, Sinister and rigjockey like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.