Swift Getting Way Too Gadget-Reliant

ironpony

Supporter
Holy Sh*t! Tin foil hats and black helicopters abound!

Couldn't this "tech stuff" be looked at as a way for carriers to weed out the bad drivers before they wipe out a station wagon of Canadians?
Wouldn't that be a good thing?

And before you start *****ing about the company knowing where you are and how fast you're driving, try to remember, it's their equipment you are driving.
They have every right to know where you're at and how you got there.
They're paying you.

You don't want them knowing these things.........find another job.

Christ, these outfits gotta do something to protect themselves from idiots that roll a truck on an off ramp because "my speedo wasn't working"
(rode with that guy)

I got 10 million miles backing up and I ain't never needed no damn eeeelectronics tellin me how to do my job

Yeah, we get it, you're good at what you do. There are plenty of us older more experienced drivers (and plenty of younger not so experienced...Quack, Pocahontas) who can do the job.
Problem is there are more drivers out there in the population who don't have our skills......and this is one way to help them get 'em.

I look at it as not letting these devices make drivers dependent, but allowing companies to use them as teaching/weeding tools.
If the roll sensor goes off, you're far enough into it that the truck is in immanent danger of rolling. In fact you'd be far beyond the point an experienced driver would have entered the turn.

Weeding out? You set one of those things off just once at Prime, and you can plan continuing your driving career at Swift.

No inward pointing cameras in company trucks though!

Last edited:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
If the roll sensor goes off, you're far enough into it that the truck is in immanent danger of rolling. In fact you'd be far beyond the point an experienced driver would have entered the turn.
Back when VW decided to experiment with super singles they were wary about traction (and were correct) so they threw in the Bendix systems.

They were primitive at the time, and mine was even worse because some sensor had fallen off & was swinging by the wires.

I set it off like 5 times one day when I was running that 55 mph section of the WV Turnpike between Beckley & Charleston with an empty trailer.

I had no cell signal in that area (nobody does) so the Qualcomm didnt send the "critical events" to safety until I was closer to Charleston. Then he got them all at once and freaked out.

:rolllaugh: