Swift Getting Way Too Gadget-Reliant

Discussion in 'Swift Transportation' started by Injun, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

Rollover events are easy to avoid: Slow down around corners. In over eight years of this, and every truck since my first Swift Volvo (after the Columbia) with rollover sensors, I have never set one off. I take some corners a little hard, but not hard enough to set off a CER. (Critical Event Recording)

There are people in our little DC-specific dedicated WalMart fleet who set them off in the yard. The speed limit in the DC is 15 mph. I can take every corner in the place at 15 and not set off the sensor.

When I hear about yet another guy setting off a rollover sensor in the yard, I feel like going up to the guy and shaking him and asking HOW??
    :dunno:

2. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

You have to work at it...

3. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

After a Roadway trip to California & back with a hideous idiot who spent the entire trip yakking on his cell phone, we get back at the yard in Chicago Heights & he's on the way around the buildings to the "arrival line" where we'd park & go into the drivers building & check in. He said "hey watch this, this is how you flip a box" and he proceeded to do a U-turn with a set of doubles, hard on the throttle & ripping through the gears. I'd been ready to jump out, and I had my sleeping bag all rolled up & crammed into my duffel bag & it was setting on the middle of the bunk. The side-load forces made it slide & hit the wall.

The trailers didn't flip over though.

4. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

Plenty of idjits around... unfortunately.

5. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

Trouble is that when these type of idiots go they take innocent people with them.

6. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

The thing about these warning systems is, barring a couple bugs that may still be in the system......... They work.

Take a curve too fast, the company will know. They will have GPS coordinates showing where you were, and will know how fast you were going.

I really have no problem with this stuff.

Throw in a system that will flag safety if you are tailgating for any extended period of time at highway speeds and it would be icing on the cake as far as I am concerned.

7. Mike

Simple, somebody else needs to plan better. You driving to the receiver and not getting an actual break does nothing to put a stop to shippers holding you up. The scenario you bring up should result in you being paid well for the detention, and layover pay also charged to the shipper for a missed appointment if they can't work you in after a 10 hour break.

Duck likes this.
  8. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Yeah, ... and governments should stop violating our rights, cell phone carriers should stop ripping us off, insurance companies should stop dictating how we live our lives, people should stop harming animals.

What else would you like me to change when I become dictator of the USA? :rolleyes:

9. Southern Fried

Well Mike..... I have one great big humongous problem with everything you just said.

I've been driving trucks for 43+ years... that's approaching 5 million freakin miles without damaging equipment, freight or people. No, I'm not special. There are others out there just as damn good and alot more that are close behind.

We're a mixed bag of races and genders. What we have in common is that we are professionals. We worked damn hard to get there.

What hacks me off severely about the "it's all good" crap. Simply put, Big Brother says our years of work matter nothing atall. We're classed with the rawest rookie out there.... no value unless we're constantly watched and controlled by our "betters".

If that's your world ol son..... you're welcome to it. I'm disappointed in you.

Hammer166 and Duck like this.
  10. Mike

Lots of good drivers out there. Problem is, the amount of bad drivers out there is increasing. Personally, I welcome technology that might work to hold people more accountable, rather than waiting til they kill someone in order to get them off the road.

11. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Do you remember what Benjamin Franklin said about trading liberty for safety? o_O

Southern Fried likes this.
  12. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Will the company also know whether you've got an empty box on dry road on a route that you've traveled a thousand times verses 45K loaded to the roof on a slick stretch you've never seen before?

Like @Southern Fried said [more or less],
    30 days or 30 years...
    same difference to a 9-5'er who doesn't know **** from applebutter.

13. Southern Fried

Listen up Mike and all the other "we need it" folks out there.

You are proving my biggest point against all this techie crap. We're just in the beginning stages of this junk and already we're over-relying on it.

Bad drivers???? Hell's bells... we've always had "bad drivers" in this business. They tended to weed themselves out pretty fast. Some of them actually got better at it. When I first started out with an "articulated vehicle" it was comical how bad I was backing up. Single axle gas powered tractor and a 45/48 ft trailer doing City Delivery of all things. Didn't have power steering or any of the "luxuries". If you'd seen me back then you'd have thought "No way he's gonna make it". Lord knows I had the same thought myself more than once. But then one day I faced a particularly mean delivery spot and everything just somehow "clicked" and I was off and running.

The thing is; there isn't a dang thing about driving a rig that can't be learned by anyone who wants to learn. Thousands of people have done it.

What we didn't have was a bunch of "do gooders" foisting off all their misfits, victims and unemployables on us. They either can't learn or more commonly don't want to learn the proper/safer way to do things. "It's too haaaard. I shouldn't have to learn that".

So, instead of dumping these losers back into mommy's basement what do we do??? We spend hundreds of millions in attempts to make things easier for these clowns to stick around. That's the real reason behind all this electronic crap.

Lots of luck with the industry in the coming years.

Blood, Hammer166 and Duck like this.
  14. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Put the same driver in a rig that will explode upon tipping over and a rrig tthat will auto-correct.

You can bet your last buck the style of driving will be different.
    ;)

We might be better off with C4 & detonators than auto-correcting trucks.
    :D

Hey, did you hear about ol' speedball nearly rolling his truck?

Yeah, poor bastard.
    :(

15. Bored Insane

Bored Insane Well-Known Member

I like technology for one, it appears Swift likes it too. Just upgraded my smart phone app for Swift to accept loads that I may not be able to deliver. And we can now use it when the truck is in motion! yeah!!
    :gun3: :yippee-1:

16. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Huh? :confused-96:

Blood likes this.
  17. Skateboard

Skateboard ** Commie Express ** Supporter

He said, All black guys teach the white guys how to dance. Geezus

18. Keendriver

Keendriver Hates all of you Supporter

YES!
    Outta nowhere....a feckin Stripes reference!

(well it was pretty close)

You go to the head of the line!

Duck likes this.
  19. Skateboard

Skateboard ** Commie Express ** Supporter

Lol...Your good!

20. Keendriver

Keendriver Hates all of you Supporter

Holy Sh*t! Tin foil hats and black helicopters abound!

Couldn't this "tech stuff" be looked at as a way for carriers to weed out the bad drivers before they wipe out a station wagon of Canadians?
    Wouldn't that be a good thing?

And before you start *****ing about the company knowing where you are and how fast you're driving, try to remember, it's their equipment you are driving.
    They have every right to know where you're at and how you got there.
    They're paying you.

You don't want them knowing these things.........find another job.

Christ, these outfits gotta do something to protect themselves from idiots that roll a truck on an off ramp because "my speedo wasn't working"
    (rode with that guy)

I got 10 million miles backing up and I ain't never needed no damn eeeelectronics tellin me how to do my job

Yeah, we get it, you're good at what you do. There are plenty of us older more experienced drivers (and plenty of younger not so experienced...Quack, Pocahontas) who can do the job.
    Problem is there are more drivers out there in the population who don't have our skills......and this is one way to help them get 'em.

I look at it as not letting these devices make drivers dependent, but allowing companies to use them as teaching/weeding tools.

Inkeper likes this.