Swift Getting Way Too Gadget-Reliant

Discussion in 'Swift Transportation' started by Injun, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

So, I meandered into the office earlier and was immediately called into the boss' office. Apparently, Swift's GPS and satellite tracker had me doing 45 in a 35 zone. They say they can "see" that stuff now.

So, I asked the natural question: Where does it say I did this? North end of Spokane on Hwy 395.

There's only one problem with that: I was west of Sand Point on Hwy 2 yesterday at the time they say I was in Spokane, and I can prove it. I didn't even get into Washington until a half hour after they said I was in Spokane and I crossed at Oldtown/Newport. I didn't get onto that 35 mph section of road in Spokane until more than six hours after they said I was there. The boss was a little surprised when I became annoyed with the conversation.

I don't give a rat's hairy ass if they want to talk to me about something I actually did. I'll own up to it and take whatever ass-chewing I've earned. But don't throw accusations at me that I can easily prove otherwise. If the office-jockey knucklehead who made this claim against me had looked, he would have plainly seen it was impossible.

Get off the ****ing gadgets, Swift. They're not always right. You won't catch me doing stupid ****, like 10 over in a city zone, because (I'll type this slowly so the learning-challenged idiots in the office will understand) I. don't. do. stupid. ****. Do your ****ing homework next time, before accusing me of something like this.

Less than a year left on my purchase contract and WalMart is looking better and better.

2. Pops65

Pops65 Well-Known Member

Have nephew who drives for Wal-Mart out of SLC and he's happy there. Makes good money.

Injun likes this.
  3. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

That's the problem with the new fancy tech.... it's controlled/interpreted by office monkeys who have no damn idea what they're doing, and their "interpretation' is gospel.

4. Injun

Update on this:

"Oops. We didn't mean it. You have the wrong software in your QC."

5. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

:coocoo:

6. Southern Fried

Yeah, it's real funny how every "ultimate system" has to be "updated" every time you turn around and then be replaced by a "new ultimate" at least twice a year. The one you paid a bundle for? "Oh, that's not supported anymore. Sorry, but that's progress don't cha know? Now would you like to buy our new program?".

They're right, mankind does need an electronic brain. We sure as hell ain't using the ones we were born with.

Injun likes this.
  7. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian, Eh! Staff Member

Technology can be both good and bad, I am sure we can all agree on that. It is a bout the technology that we use and ho wee use it.
    I am straying a bit from @Injun original post because it is kinda what I do.

I am on the E-logs, I am loving it because, I don't have to look up my location when I stop and at the end of the day I just hit the sleeper berth button and everything is done! At the end of the week when I want nothing more than to just get **** out of the truck, I hit off duty and log out.

I have way less of the massive amounts of paperwork that WAS needed before. I need only fill out my fuel information.

OLD SCHOOL/ NEW SCHOOL. I don't need to find a pay phone to check in with dispatch, They know where I am at.
    Now that we all have cell phones, We don't need to stop and call in or ask questions.

GPS. We don't need to call the customer and get wrong directions.

And most Importantly, I am here talking to a bunch of foreigners from my home or on my phone in any location.
    None of that was possible when I started trucking.

/

8. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Yeah all that convenience will bite you in the ass when you arrive at a receiver that doesn't allow parking, 7 hours before your appointment & the nearest truck parking that you know of is 10 miles away.o_O

9. rigjockey

Why would I show up 7 hours before my appointment? I would stop 10 miles away, It is called trip planning!

10. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

:rolllaugh3:

Trip planning only works when the shippers get you loaded on time.

11. rigjockey

No, Trip planning means you plan on delays in shipping and receiving.

Injun likes this.
  12. Southern Fried

Who the heck is Ho Wee????? You workin for the Heathen Chinee, boy???? ;)

Dangit boy.... the payphones gave us an excuse to stop, grab a coffee and hit on the waitresses for awhile. An if we didn't like what dispatch was tellin us we just run our fingernails back and forth across the mouthpiece and say "Sorry boss (scratch, scratch), bad line (scratch), wii have to find another phone". That gave us a good hour or so at a real truckstop. Bossyman had no clue where we was less we told him.

Beat that one. Oh, btw.... the onny "furriners" we met was Torontonians. ;):D

rigjockey likes this.
  13. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Ok, ... when it's a 6 hour drive and I'm not loaded until 13 hours before the appointment, .. I'm going to plan .. what?

14. rigjockey

Why are you there 13 hours before appointment, it is an appointment! Plan accordingly.

15. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Do I need to post a "hooked on phonics worked for me" meme? :rolleyes:

Hammer166 and rigjockey like this.
  16. rigjockey

Yes! please and thank you!
    PM me and I will give you my address.

Duck likes this.
  17. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

While I like and exist well in the elogs world, I do miss the days of paper logs, check calls and Big Brother not being aware of my status every moment of the day.

Prime has been using the critical event deal through Qualcom for awhile now. If the rollover warning goes off, you're out the door. Well, I suppose Rob Low is tired of idjits making junk out of his expensive toys. Now its too many hard braking events, and lately, that stupid alarm going off on the onGuard too long will get you put in hack.

Now I don't have a problem with this crap... until a 4-wheeler cuts me off. Then its back off some more. Wet roads in a bobtail will catch me every once in awhile, but its never been because I had to stop. I back way off in traffic because I already know Mr Bobtail ain't like I had another 60klbs behind me. And my built-in rollover sensor (as well as a healthy sense of slow-down on curves) has that part taken care of. But this is getting downright ridiculous.

18. Injun

The OnGuard in my Prime truck went off all the time. For rain storms, snow, bugs, shadows from bridges on bright days... And in doing so, would cause a hard-brake because it jammed the brakes on.

So now they're firing guys for that?

Geez!

19. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

If they implemented that policy in the early days of the Bendix systems I'd have quit.

In 06 I had an 07 Volvo with that system on it. It was one of 40 trucks they ordered with super singles. The jury was still out on those tires at the time, so the owner decided to get the Bendix systems too just in case they actually improve stability and traction.

It would automatically cut the throttle and apply the brakes when it detected something bad was about to happen. Even the mildest side loads would set it off. That 55 mph stretch of the WV turnpike was a constant headache, even if you run it at 50 mph.

I never had any issues with those systems on newer trucks though, except on ice or when I'm empty in snow, or bobtailing in the rain.

20. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

They're certainly bringin' 'em in for a sit down, except on the roll over... that one get's 'em terminated. I haven't heard how the rest of its working yet.

Most of the time a good antenna alignment will cure 95% of the onGuard problems. Mostly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.