RV rig overnight and truck stop use?

Discussion in 'Truck Stop Reviews and Discussion' started by Jay23123, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Jay23123

Jay23123 New Member

do any of you on the road truckers care if an RV stops at a truck stop? What are your thoughts?

2. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i don't care, as long as you park in ONE SPOT and don't expand the sides (open up) for your comfort, as this takes up a total of 3 spaces, which means 2 truckers cannot park...!!!!!

and park PROPERLY, not sideways as to really muck up the drivers......

and don't park near the scale, or in the middle row or along the curbing.

park along the very back row. that way, if you have a dog, you can walk it in the grassy area.

rigjockey likes this.
  3. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Yes. I do. Parking for trucks is already limited and we are required by law to stop and rest at specific intervals, for specific lengths of time. If the truck stop is plugged up with RVs, truckers have to keep moving, sometimes against Hours of Service rules. The biggest issue raised by "safety" groups is tired truckers driving around, supposedly being menaces to the safety of their families. Most of us have safety as our highest priority. We want to get home to our families as much as "safety" advocates want their family members returning safe to them. In order for all of us to accomplish this goal, trucks need places to park. There is a documented parking shortage in the US for trucks, especially since most large parking lots (of retail businesses and shipping customers) is off limits to us. It seems kind of selfish, to me, for an RV to take up a spot designed for a truck because it's free. That trucker is doing a necessary job, providing a vital service. He's working. He needs somewhere to sleep. Almost all RVers are on vacation and can pretty much park where they want to. They have a lot more options than we do.

So, yes. I get annoyed when I see an RV in a truck stop parking space that was specifically designed for trucks. I get downright enraged when I see trucks circling around looking for a spot and there are RVs in the lot.

rigjockey likes this.
  4. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Some truck stops have RV parking in the front. None of my bidness if you park there.
    If you're taking up valuable real estate for truckers, then I take issue.

Most Rv's are good folks and are a pleasure to share the road with.
    I hope to one day be an RV'r myself one day.
    But truck parking is at a premium now days

5. GAnthony

you wanna continue to drive when you retire..??

are you on crack...???

when i retire, i don't even wanna drive to the grocery store, doctor's office, bank or anyplace else....

i'm gonna buy me a self driving car, a robot, and the 2 can do it all for me...

BirchBarlow and rigjockey like this.
  6. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

some truck stops have security that will ask you to leave because parking is for truckers

7. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

I don't care. I'm only stopping to fuel and pee.

GAnthony and rigjockey like this.
  8. (((ME)))

(((ME))) Well-Known Member

You know there was a time many yesterdays ago I gave my opinion on this issue...I will say held my ground and fussed about it too. As time gone by I can well see your point...But keep in mind I been learning from all of you along the way. Since I am not a truck driver I had to take lessons else where by reading all of your post. I learned much as time gone by from all of you in some measurable way. Keep in mind when your talking to me I learning something along the way...For me knowledge is power. I also took the time to watch many videos of truck stops and the many activities that take place....when the sun goes down. Also took a good look at the crimes that happen too. In my findings I found RV people have other choices if they just use them. Stay safe as you travel injun your quite a gal.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Injun likes this.
  9. (((ME)))

10. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

What annoys me is when I'm pulling into a rest area. A parking spot looks open but it's a bobtail or a pickup pulling a U-Haul.

Again only stopping to use the facilities but still it's frustrating.

GAnthony likes this.
  11. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

GAnthony likes this.
  12. patriciajnsn

patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder

It has never bothered me no matter where rvs park long as it's not illegal and and parked where trks can't get in or out.I've seen many semis parked in car parking lots taking their brk.My 9 yrs otr I've seen trks parked in no parking zones,on exit ramps,where cars only and even the waste station for rvs.I have great respect for rv ppl,let them park where they want just like trks do.

13. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

There are very few truck stops anymore. We now have travel centers that are stops for everyone.

14. (((ME)))

I am a Rv ppl. For me personally being safe is a really big deal....Because when I go out I know it up to me to look after myself and also know that no one going to look after me but me. When I travel which is often it just me and lil ticket. Traveling is one of my most favorite past times. Being somewhere different everyday with no special plan in mind for that day....Just greet the day for what it has to offer. Remember in the Summer of 2014 coming out of Texas into New Mexico laid the Atlas on the table and decided to take a road not real well traveled. Guess some one would say exploring or just right down curious about what was up that road. About dust that night found a what I call a pull off good gravel place with one lonely picnic table. My unit is all self contained. Pulled in for the night as the drive that day had been a long one. I am one of those Rv's that looks for a peaceful safe place to park. On this trip I am speaking of I ate a nice dinner played music and slept with the windows open all night. At this point I am not real sure truck stops or shopping malls are all that safe to park. But each to it own it falls down to what works for the one looking for the parking spot.

15. Jay23123

Jay23123 New Member

Thanks for the helpful replies and your opinions. I guess I should have mentioned I'm not a recreational camper. The only reason I own a travle trailer is for work I work on the road often in various cities and states. I can see where someone would be offended if someone is setting up camp there. I try not to use the truck lanes but a lot of the truck stops and travle centers here do not have RV parking just regular car parking in the front. I usually find a spot on the side or in the back off the pavement if possible. In reality I don't see why anyone would be upset for a guy in an RV simply parking with the semi trucks because if the RV was not there another truck would be and it would be full anyway. I also respect everyone else as well I don't take up two truck spots or park crooked, no slides or generators... just like most of you guys if I stop I'm there to rest or grab some food.

patriciajnsn likes this.
  16. GAnthony

problem however, there are the RV'ers that are ignorant and take up more than one space when they expand the sides for more room for them. frankly, i'd LOVE to see a trucker back into an expanded side and rip the whole frigging RV apart.....after THAT wreck, the trucker gets to leave, the RV'er gets to go through hell, foregoing any plans they had for a nice family vacation.....

it's because of this ignorance, many trucker simply do not like RV'ers. like another said, i too only go to the truck stop for maybe a coffee, hot dog, and i'm gone with-in about 10 minutes. i get "on site fueling" at my job, so this cuts down on my time at the truck stop.

but for the road worn-out trucker, an ignorant, rude RV'er is the bane of existence.

couple that with expanding the sides, or parking across several spots, only goes to anger truckers.

17. Jay23123

Jay23123 New Member

Anyone you takes up multiple spots in th truck area is not a good driver or brand new or driving with a trailer. It doesn't take too long to learn how to back up and usually there's plenty of room... now in a car parking area that I can see but not with the truck lanes

patriciajnsn likes this.
  18. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Regardless of why you're out and about, you have way more options for parking than we do and you won't find yourself crashing against federal regulations. Yes, that spot you're not in will be filled by a truck. But he has to be there since his options are so limited and federal mandate says he must stop driving.

An RV in a crowded truck stop means there's a truck driver without a place to rest.

Inkeper, rigjockey and GAnthony like this.
  19. GAnthony

try not to debate me. others here will jump into your crap.

as i said, it does not bother me, as i do not park at truck stops, but the RV'ers piss off drivers who need the spots.

drivers hate newbies that cannot park for sure, but they are still drivers, needing a space. an RV'er can park someplace else.

da end.

20. (((ME)))

Can well understand all about the parking issue and working on the road. I moved around from job to job many years ago on road construction jobs....moved from town to town and sight to sight.
    Many times parks were loaded with no spaces available so would end up living at the construction sight. Working on the road you just got to be a rough tumbler to do so. Best of luck to you as you travel to work...Been there done it too.....This is still a free country park where ever you please....

patriciajnsn likes this.