rumored lawsuit

Discussion in 'Heartland Express' started by RCINSOLO, May 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCINSOLO

RCINSOLO Well-Known Member

I have a friend who drives for the local fleet out of California. This person states lawyers have been questioning drivers for a rumored class action lawsuit against Gordon for... not allowing local drivers (who are hourly) breaks, lunch breaks, and working them 10,12,14,and 16 hours all at flat pay.

2. patriciajnsn

patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder

I don't see what the problem is.They can take lunch while getting loaded and unloaded.Take a lunch on the go.They don't like the working conditions then go elsewhere.

3. RCINSOLO

RCINSOLO Well-Known Member

under California labor law you are required to take 2 15 minute breaks and 1 30 minute lunch break for a work day. After x (i don't remember the exact number) hours of working I believe it is 8 you receive base rate + half. After 12 hrs you are entitled to base rate x 2. plus more breaks. seeing as how these drivers rarely leave a 150 mile radius from their home terminal and never cross state lines plus they are hourly these laws apply to them.

4. saddlesore

saddlesore Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the transportation industries are in the same work classifications as farming.. ie: exempt from overtime unless negotiated with the employer.

Sounds like to me that someone is trying to Unionize the local drivers through back channels. :eyeball::eyeball:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.