Revisiting the Cholesterol Debate

Discussion in 'Truckers Health With Dr. Daliah' started by Injun, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

Yes, I've been told my cholesterol is high and I've told my provider I will not take a Statin. My total number was something like 275 with one of the numbers (probably the "bad" one) at something like 204.

They sent me a diet to follow :rolleyes: and want me tested again after six months. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is just one of the articles I've seen. @DrDaliah, what's your take on this?

7 Factors to Consider if You're Told Your Cholesterol Is Too High

2. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard the same things in that article from a certified nutritionist...

3. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i have been on a statin for a very long time now, my bad cholesterol is with-in limits the doctors wants to see. i have no ill effects.

unless a craving for peanut butter and banana sammiches is a side effect..????

DrDaliah likes this.
  4. Injun

I took statins about 15 years ago. I won't do that again.

AK7 likes this.
  5. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

Why?

6. Injun

Made me feel like ****. I could hardly move from the pain. So...no.

Besides. The human body makes and regulates its own cholesterol. I have yet to be convinced it's a good idea to block a natural process. In the 70s and early 80s, a level of 300 was considered to be acceptable and very few people took statins. Now, 200 is given the side-eye and nearly 1/3 of people over 40 take statins. I just can't accept a percentage that high could be in the abnormal category.

I've heard of drug companies pushing to reduce acceptable levels to below 150 or even 100. Vegetarians can't even go that low without medication. It's not about health at this point. It's about $ale$ and I won't support it.

Tazz, ironpony and Blood like this.
  7. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Yeah.
    And the fact that medicine generally doesn't differentiate from one heritage to another.
    Inuits eat high protein, high fat diets from cradle to grave with almost no fruits or veggies and have virtually no cancer or disease.
    Certain things are eventually folded into your DNA and you get a pass from 'normal' diet...
    IMO.

Mike, Tazz and Injun like this.
  8. DrDaliah

DrDaliah Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the panel that tells you how bad your LDL cholesterol is looking at the particles. I have to say, however, I have never had a patient die of a heart attack who was religiously taking his statin. My father refused to take one and died of a massive coronary. I'm biased.....

GAnthony and Injun like this.
  9. Injun

What is the difference between a regular ol' cholesterol/lipid test and the particle test?

10. Injun

[​IMG]

mndriver, Mike, Tazz and 3 others like this.
  11. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

:biglaugh:

DrDaliah likes this.
  12. DrDaliah

Injun likes this.
  13. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare

Well......

Your other option is to do nothing....

And then hope you only get a 60-day medical vacation and not 90 days.

And not a dirt nap.

DrDaliah likes this.
  14. Injun

Cholesterol levels don't have anything to do with my DOT medical cert. I don't have high blood pressure, I have a reasonable body fat content percentage and I'm fairly active.

I'd rather enjoy my ribeye steaks and die at 75 while there are still things to love about life than live until I'm 100 and need someone to change my diapers for me while I drool on my shirt and sit in front of another episode of COPS just because the pretty lights are interesting to me.

Blood likes this.
  15. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare

My cholesterol has never been bad. But I still had a heart attack and it was 60 days off

DrDaliah likes this.
  16. DrDaliah

The logic is there but what everyone forgets is a stroke could happen with high cholesterol as well and that would leave one drooling and in diapers anyhow.

17. Injun

Yeh, but at least I'll still be cute.

I forgot to mention, there is no heart disease or stroke in my family. My brother's father died of a massive heart attack in his 40s. My paternal DNA donor is (unfortunately) still breathing at 77 with no intentions of stopping anytime soon.

DrDaliah and Blood like this.
  18. DrDaliah

definitely encouraging with no family history. we're not out of the woods completely but it helps

Injun likes this.