Reefer Trailer: Flap Sticking Up Above Roof

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking' started by Adelthemystic, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Adelthemystic

Adelthemystic Member

I am fairly new to reefer. Well,
    Not that new, but this is something I haven't seen before:

My carrier unit has about a one foot by one foot "flap" sticking up from the roof of the trailer front. It seems to be quite flexible, but of course I can't see what it is or what it effects. This is a 2016 trailer, and the unit is just now this month one year old, just had its annual.

Reefer is holding temp fine, and I can't see any issues and no alarm codes. Google search is pretty worthless. Before breaking out the manual and calling the company, I figured some of you old hands could help.

This is my first post on the forums.

Been driving van, flatbed, and doubles since '01.

2. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Got a picture?

3. Adelthemystic

Adelthemystic Member

IMG_0162.JPG

4. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

The only time I have ever seen something like that was on a truck I was passing. His access door blew open and was sticking up in the wind.

Are you young enough to monkey up there for a better look?

I had to top off a radiator/overflow on a reefer once. I opened the front access door and climbed up the framework of the reefer unit and some square tube on the back of the (Volvo) cab.

5. Adelthemystic

Adelthemystic Member

Not sure I can get up there. I'm 41, and not huge, but I got a good gut on me, lol

6. Adelthemystic

Adelthemystic Member

I got up there as far as I could. Looks like some kind of panel access on the trailer itself. It's not on the reefer at all.
    It's very thin, so I doubt moisture is getting in to the product, and the trailer is staying at temperature, so I'm not super worried about it. Thanks for the help.

7. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Probably something they didn't rivet down properly.

If you own it, I'd take it back to the dealer.

8. Adelthemystic

Adelthemystic Member

Nah, it's a company truck and trailer. If it ain't going to keep me from running, I'm just gonna go with it

• Like Like x 1
  9. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Well when you get empty, maybe hop up in there and look at the ceiling if it's got the dual air chutes down the sides. If it's got the regular kind of chute, you won't be able to see anything anyway.

10. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

My only concern would be low clearances. That looks like it puts you over 13'6". Next time you get through a terminal, I'd get it looked at. Until then, watch your clearances.

11. Adelthemystic

Adelthemystic Member

I reported it when I dropped the trailer. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

That flap looks like it was designed to go down when the trailer is moving forward, much like aircraft panels. I would get it permanently closed ASAP.