Recognizing Truck Driving as Skilled Occupation

Southern Fried

You're right. We are working as draft horses, without the normal trade unions, which can protect our interests. We are afraid to go on strike, because we are on a short leash because of low salaries. And we can not let us lose workdays. If I had good English, I would organize a strike
Oh for the luvva.... dude, forget the damn union crap. Unions long ago morphed into just another political POS that backs the punks who are putting us in the position we're in.

Don't believe it? Check who they're pouring millions of dollars of their members money into.

Geez.

Rasar

I worked for a company from the trade unions. The back is covered ... can not dismiss, pay everything. But the job was ****.
I agree otherwise. Normal trade union no longer exists. It's rare to find. One day all stand to show our strength to the Government. It is unrealistic:confused-96:

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
You're right. We are working as draft horses, without the normal trade unions, which can protect our interests. We are afraid to go on strike, because we are on a short leash because of low salaries. And we can not let us lose workdays. If I had good English, I would organize a strike
If a Teamster pushed a union card under my nose, I would probably punch him in his nose. I do not want another layer of government between me and my job.

Rasar

Last edited by a moderator:

Rasar

TORONTO, Ont. – The Ontario trucking industry has finally been recognized as a skilled trade by the province, thanks largely to the creation of the industry’s first apprenticeship program. The program – which has been two years in the making – involves 12 weeks of training with a mentor followed by up to 40 weeks of on-the-job work experience.

Continued: Ontario recognizes truck driving as a skilled trade - Truck NewsTruck News

Last edited by a moderator:

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
HAMILTON, Ont. — The Truck Training Schools Association of Ontario (TTSAO) and the province of Ontario have been in talks over cracking down on substandard driver training operators they say are exploiting a loophole to offer cheap, ineffective training.
Yes that is a huge problem in Ontario, If a school charges less than a grand for trucking school they do not need to be accredited. That is the loophole for these shifty operators. The basic cost is less than a grand but the total cost after failing four time will amount to much more than going to an accredited school and still knowing less than basic skills.
These schools need to be shut down post haste.
And in addition the road test from the Government needs to be tightened up!
The Government regulates the schools and the testing facilities and still wants to put the blame at the feet of the trucking industry for unskilled drivers let loose on the roads.

Southern Fried

TORONTO, Ont. – The Ontario trucking industry has finally been recognized as a skilled trade by the province, thanks largely to the creation of the industry’s first apprenticeship program. The program – which has been two years in the making – involves 12 weeks of training with a mentor followed by up to 40 weeks of on-the-job work experience.

Continued: Ontario recognizes truck driving as a skilled trade - Truck NewsTruck News
That figures.... Ontario led the push to have truck drivers classed as "unskilled" years back.

HAMILTON, Ont. — The Truck Training Schools Association of Ontario (TTSAO) and the province of Ontario have been in talks over cracking down on substandard driver training operators they say are exploiting a loophole to offer cheap, ineffective training.

Continued: TTSAO, Province of Ontario look to crack down on substandard training providers - Truck NewsTruck News
Oh yeah, they "just discovered" these places. Forget about the fact that they have been eagerly issuing licences to the "graduates" of these "enterprises" for the past 20 years. Y'see, most of these "schools" are operated by folks from foreign countries where payoffs to govt officials are a normal "part of doing business" their whole life long. A govt worker's wet dream.

Yes that is a huge problem in Ontario, If a school charges less than a grand for trucking school they do not need to be accredited. That is the loophole for these shifty operators. The basic cost is less than a grand but the total cost after failing four time will amount to much more than going to an accredited school and still knowing less than basic skills.
These schools need to be shut down post haste.
And in addition the road test from the Government needs to be tightened up!
The Government regulates the schools and the testing facilities and still wants to put the blame at the feet of the trucking industry for unskilled drivers let loose on the roads.
Back when I was driving for the Irvings they were hiring Pakis out of the Toronto Midland/Sunbury terminals. Most of them were running "driving schools" out of the company trucks. Not unusual to see several people in the cab at once. I remember one that got stopped at the Detroit border crossing with 6 people in the truck (FLD Freightliner) on it's way to Florida on a GM run. Only guy who "spick da engliss" was the driver. Oh.... for $1000 extra they'd have somebody go take the test for you.... all "look alike" y'know. Amazingly, the govt "testers" didn't notice anything untoward.... like the same guys doing the test several times under different names. :rolleyes: Too busy admiring the Queen's picture on the undeclared cash I bet.

Rasar

the pitcher goes often to the well, but is broken at last

Some canadians have a problem: They only solve problems when the problems come. Problems need to be prevented before they begin.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
About half the time I see a Guantanamo Bay escapee driving a truck it's registered in Ontario. The rest are New Jersey or California.

Southern Fried

the pitcher goes often to the well, but is broken at last

Some canadians have a problem: They only solve problems when the problems come. Problems need to be prevented before they begin.
About half the time I see a Guantanamo Bay escapee driving a truck it's registered in Ontario. The rest are New Jersey or California.
Canada is not alone in this foolishness. Most of Europe is over-run by low skilled/no skilled "immigrants" who are supposedly "fleeing" from their homelands, government, what have you.... but instead huddle up together and insist that their "new home" be changed to be just like what they're supposedly fleeing from. Now, the USA is following rapidly in the same path.

I originally moved down here from Canada because I thought it would be "better" for my American wife-to-be.... not because I particularly wanted to be here. I did have hopes that the USA was more "level-headed" than the Canadian govt about this bunch.

I spent a year and several thousand dollars just getting a visa, several hundred more once here to get all the proper paperwork, etc to go to work. ASAP, I did just that. Didn't live off welfare, etc.

Now I'm in a very tight spot. Your "benificent" government agencies are giving me the old run-around. No help for you Whitey.

Was it worth it? For having my lady-love, yes. For any other reason, no.

Quite often these days I think it would have been better for all concerned if I had followed my original "plan".... a one-way trip to the deep woods and a bullet in the brain.

Rasar

I think that the changes will soon occur.
It's unavoidable. Otherwise there will be a lot of truck accidents.
Quantity always turns into quality, and the quality becomes quantity. This is the law of life. In Australia, do as ... The state regulates driver's salary

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
What I see and read these days there's more slilled idiots then professional trk drivers.I also question that title,professionals get respect truck drivers do not.

Southern Fried

Years ago, back in Canada, we fought like hell to get the title "Transport Drivers". Truck driver was left for those driving dump trucks and straight trucks, etc.

Believe it or not that did make a difference.

Mike

Staff member
Years ago, back in Canada, we fought like hell to get the title "Transport Drivers". Truck driver was left for those driving dump trucks and straight trucks, etc.

Believe it or not that did make a difference.
We have been recognized....

We are Semi Skilled labor. Get it? "Semi" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaah :biglaugh:

Come on, at least give it a courtesy laugh! :(

Shut Up @Blood :mad:

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
We have been recognized....

We are Semi Skilled labor. Get it? "Semi" Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahhaah :biglaugh:

Come on, at least give it a courtesy laugh! :(

Shut Up @Blood :mad:
Still better than working for the post office. They are classed as unemployable.:biglaugh: