Recognizing Truck Driving as Skilled Occupation

Discussion in 'Canadian Trucking' started by Rasar, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

Hi guys.

Immediately I apologize for my English.

I write badly, so I use a translator. I came from Israel 8 years ago. Five years working owner operator in Winnipeg.

I'm curious to know what people think about recognizing Truck Driving as Skilled Occupation? I consider myself a professional. I am sure you will too.

What can you say about this article?

Recognizing Truck Driving as Skilled Occupation Key to Jobs Strategy
    Truck driving is a skilled occupation that should not be lumped in with burger flippers and other low wage/low skill jobs in order for the industry’s jobs strategy to work.

That’s the over-riding comment from the Canadian Trucking Alliance (CTA) in the wake of changes to the controversial Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) announced recently by federal employment minister Jason Kenney.

Continued: CTA: Recognizing Truck Driving as Skilled Occupation Key to Jobs Strategy - Yahoo Finance

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2015
  2. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

• Like Like x 1
  3. patriciajnsn

patriciajnsn Steering Wheel Holder

Its how you look at trk driving to determine whether its skilled or not.Some of the idiots I see on our roads disreguarding safety makes me wonder.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

I agree. Solve the problem easily. For example, in Israel, you must first get a year of experience driving a truck up to 15 tons without accidents and fines. This is only the first step ...

The problem is that for some reason think that in order to become a professional driver needs to learn on the road while you work. Why welder need more time to study, because any one can be taught to do the minimum necessary to carry out in this profession for a week or two, and then let them learn ...For some reason, no one thinks that there is a difference - a bad welder and a bad driver. Bad welder can correct their work, and a bad driver will kill themselves and others.I think that the government simply does not want to pay and change the laws. They apparently believe that we have good salaries, and so, because enough to pay the mortgage loans and food.

I hope it is clear that everything I write through a translator. The translator does not always accurately conveys the idea.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  5. patriciajnsn

I wish this profession would live up to its name professional truck driver.But it starts with schools and companies.How is drivers suppose to be professional or skilled when they're not taught that way.Sure we have thousands of laws for the sake of making our roads safer so FMCSA says but I think most of our laws are more about revenue then anything else.It's so easy to make our roads safer without all these laws in place.But they rather not go that route.FMCSA knows trk drivers are making below wage but they don't care,they look out for the ones with the money not the backbone of this industry. You're doing fine thru translation..

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coronado Kid

Coronado Kid Cactus Patch

As a company driver most make more than public school teachers as a teacher here in sc would make 984.12 every 2 weeks a driver here could pull 2500 miles a week with .46 CPm pulling reefer

7. patriciajnsn

A lot of companies do pay very well but the megas mainly starter companies pay an embarrassing wage.

8. Coronado Kid

Coronado Kid Cactus Patch

look at companies that dont pull dryvan those are the worst reefer companies pay more but flatbed and stepdeck pay the best

9. patriciajnsn

Pulling a tanker can pay quite well also depending on who you drive for and what you haul.

10. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

The government will not release, or a shortage of drivers. They reduced the number of work visas for drivers, and created such difficulties that many companies refused themselves from foreign workers.
    Ministry of Immigration apparently thought it was pushing Canadians to come into this business because it will raise the salary.
    But the reality was different. Canadians are not ready to work on the terms offered by the company, and the addition of $ 500-600 per month will not force them to leave the house for a week. They do not not want to work as cleaners or laborers sellers. We are no longer respected, and that's the problem.
    Too much unpaid time we spend at work, and the change of status will force the company to pay for each hour at work. We work according to the laws and regulations adopted in 1938. Apparently we are considered slaves.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

You're doing fine. Better than many of our natural borns here in the US. Don't even worry about it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

There are companies that pay well relative to other companies, but they don't pay what they should pay in reality
    Why don't we get paid for every hour spent at work? Why is it that when we sleep in the truck we shouldn't get paid? Why do we get paid only for fulfilled work but not on wasted time? Workers at the factory or teachers at a school don't get paid for the amount of screwed nails or the amount of children in the class . They get paid for every hour of wasted time on the job. Companies comfortably settle, which they than underpay thousands of dollars every month. It seems like they regard us as fools.

I hope this time my message is understandable and has better grammar because my son helped me.:whip:

13. Sinister

Trucking is one of if not the only occupation I know of where you work for free and it's just part of the deal, and you're expected to just live with it. Working by the mile, you can expect significant shortfalls in miles all the time, that really add up at the end of the year. It's absurd and one of the things that always disgusted me about working by the mile.

Walmart actually pays drivers during their breaks. They pay you to sit in bad weather if conditions don't allow for safe driving also. I'm sure there's a million policies and procedures about this, but it's not wholly unheard of.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

Thanks, because it is embarrassing feeling like I am illiterate, although I know Hebrew well, and in Russian I write stories.:dunno:

15. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Lack of fluency in a specific language does not equal illiterate.

Just saying.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

Only if this is not the language of the country where I live, but thanks anyway.:canada:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sinister

No no no...you're supposed to use this:

im-just-sayin-main-logo.gif

18. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

I thought that was proprietary.

19. Sinister

Nah. @Duck snagged it a while ago, and I found in on the Google.

20. Rasar

Rasar Well-Known Member

Something tells me that, in any case, the salary for drivers in the Walmart is not higher than that of other companies. If they pay for each hour, so do not give enough miles, and where a lot of miles - do not pay for hours.
    Apparently it's a corporate agreement the companies to eliminate competition salaries.
    My brother works in the Midland, and they also pay for everything, but still pay the same, because it is not enough miles