Quarterly Training

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
Okay, so at ATS we have to not only do a yearly training thing, we have to do them quarterly also. Usually they're not terribly difficult. Watch a short video and answer some questions. One video recently was on swine flu and how to prevent it.

The most recent one (1st quarter 2010) was on Critical Crashes, pattern driving, and following accidents.

In this video I learned:

-that not follwing too close to the vehicle in front of you can prevent someone from crashing into your rear end. And that someone hitting you in the rear might also be your fault.

Ummm...What?

-we have people following us around video taping what we do.

Gee, isn't that nice.

I didn't see the "lane change" they were talking about in the video within the video either. I think it happened right at the beginning.

Scorp

Supa Truka
-we have people following us around video taping what we do.
When I worked for Arnold they used the same service. I don't remember the name of the company but they have 100 people around the country that would drive around all day in different areas and follow a subscribers unit for up to 5 minutes and take video recordings along with speeds and following distances. The safety department would use them in the quarterly meetings and show what to do or not to do.

I only had it happen once in 3 years and it was on I-81 in MD from the 2-5 m/m

We had a lot of them come in from US287 in or around Childress, TX so I know there is someone in that area doing it too!

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
someone hits u from behind it could be your fault? thats new im sure it was a lawyer that came up with that one no doubt. oh i cringe when i see a big truck tailgateing someone. i think markell insurince used to follow trucks they insured but i don think they do it anymore

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
Well ATS tells us to use the "stone in the river" thing. Go 2 - 3 mph slower than everyone else so that most of the traffic goes around you...like a stone in the river.

It works for the most part. But how it is that increasing your following distance from the vehicle in front of you can help prevent an accident at your rear is beyond me. They also said you may be held at fault if such an accident occurs. Which leads me to ask, when does this company stand behind it's drivers?

There is a serious "driver at fault always" mentality at this company. I've noticed it among other drivers, as well as in conversations with office staff.

Now a driver can control a lot of what happens, but sheesh already...

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
sinister ur right where does it end?the driver always seems to be at fault. when ppl or lawyers see big trucks they see big bucks.iv heard of four wheelers endangering themselves just to get compensation. iv heard it go so far as 4 wheeler cruising the truck stops to get a tag no# just to call in make a false accusation to get their car fixed. ur right when does the companies start standing behind their drivers with their big bucks and high priced lawyers to defend us the drivers.(responsible for less than 14% of accidents)

boone315

SPACE TRUCKING
I was rear ended at a toll booth on the Chicago by-pass, The company wanted to charge it as a preventable accident, their reasoning was that I did not leave room enough in front of me to have gotten out of the way or as they called it 'an avenue of escape' I fought it all the way up to the owner of the company. He said because there was no damage to the trailer, he would give me a break, I said thanks and I quit

i was hit in the ass by a 4 wheeler while sitting at a red light. i was completely stopped and the cop wrote me up for failure to keep my vehicle under controll. he said i should have ran the light to prevent the accident. it went to court and was thrown out. what the hell was that cop thinking????? it didnt hardly scratch my truck but i lost a days pay for the court appearance.

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
Wow. What if you'd run the light, and got Tboned by 14 cars?! That would have been your fault also. I think you were faced with a no-winner there. Good thing the judge had some common sense though.

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
Ok, so 2nd qtr training just told me that "Log Not Current" voilations are a cause of accidents.

I'd like to know why.

There really wasn't much "safety" training involved. It was more threats about how they are going to take your money for a given period of time (1-4 months depending), and if you have one of these violations you will also have to fax your log in every single day (at 3 bucks a crack) and it will be checked against your GPS. If it does not match, you will have to submit a corrected log. Sometimes, my GPS still quits and freezes up and doesn't read locations. And they're going to take money based on this flawed technology.

Complete. Bullshit.

Just think, for the last two days I was actually considering staying aboard another year to get my escrow accounts built up some more.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
I'm sure glad my company is'nt stricked on logs or anything else for that matter.I talk to Mel once maybe twice a day no weekends.Thats crazy and just plain idiotic u have to fax logs if in violation.If feels great not having to deal with any stressful staff or depts like I use to.

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
Well, to be fair about it, the company is really trying to reduce the amount of money it's paying out in claims and things. 7.7 million in the last five years alone that will never be recovered. But I think they take the wrong approach in beating up thier own people.

It's never "Lets investigate what happened." It seems to me like it's "Lets see if our driver is at fault."

Granted, there are a great many things a driver has control of, and I'm not very forgiving of stupidity, and I'm sure a lot of accidents are a direct result of laziness and stupidity, but they just don't seem to start on the side of the driver. Right away, they're against you.

Scorp

Supa Truka
A lot of companies are cracking down on logs because it's the #1 violation from DOT and with CSA coming soon they are scared...

Log violations are senseless and a stupid way to get dinged. I don't care if your running legal or not, it's so simple to draw a line and be current. No reason to get a log violation!

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
The video said logs not surrent was an idicator of behavior that causes accidents, but doesn't say why. That's the problem I have with it.

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
I agree why target all the drivers.Get only the stupid ones that are directly involved.But instead the drivers are all one as companies an FMCSA sees it.
Well, to be fair about it, the company is really trying to reduce the amount of money it's paying out in claims and things. 7.7 million in the last five years alone that will never be recovered. But I think they take the wrong approach in beating up thier own people.

It's never "Lets investigate what happened." It seems to me like it's "Lets see if our driver is at fault."

Granted, there are a great many things a driver has control of, and I'm not very forgiving of stupidity, and I'm sure a lot of accidents are a direct result of laziness and stupidity, but they just don't seem to start on the side of the driver. Right away, they're against you.