Prime is the best I've found so far. Any better deals?

ready to roll

I ain't got no panties
I did, and am doing just fine at Prime... I've always been solo.

When you're paid percentage and fuel surcharge, its not about miles. You need to accept or reject loads based on how well they contribute to the minimum daily revenue you need to generate to cover your costs, and provide enough profit to cover your needs. That being said, minimizing costs is huge, and your number one cost outside of payroll is fuel. The fewer miles you run to generate your required revenue, the greater your profit will be.

I rarely run that many miles, and try to avoid it at all costs.

"Sitting" ain't part of how Prime rolls. The only time I can recall much of that was in '09, during the recession. Freight in Ohio sucked. There wasn't any, and everyone planned on spending a couple of days there.

Lease ops receive breakdown pay after the first 24 hours. It covers the bills. Freightliner/Detroit really stood behind their product in my opinion.

Lease ops at Prime can go on home time whenever they desire. As a 1099 contractor, the IRS rewuires that you are able to control your schedule. Its basically only limited by your need to generate revenue. I never had a problem being unable to pay for home time, and only went in the hole a few weeks over the last several years.

Speak from experience about whatever carrier you were driving for.

I've never had trouble getting loaded in Laredo with Prime. They have a lot of cross border traffic that gets picked up on the US side - frequently drop 'n hook.

Lying to prospects gets recruiting staff fired at Prime. First they don't need to, because there are plenty of applicants. Second, Robert Lowe doesn't tolerate it.

I'm sure a call to leasing will get you a sample lease. Their quotes for average weekly revenue will be a little murky because it does vary widely - I generate somewhere between $2500 to $6000 per week. The bottom end figure usually is a week that I take a couple of days off, I'm in the shop, etc. $6000 is usually a home run week for me.

It's been my experience that recruiting quotes a conservative number.

Yep. Ancient history.

The Qualcomm system is necessary to carry on business, and that is Prime's ELD solution. As such its a business cost borne by the operator. Flat charge per week.
I was talking about my exp with a lease 10 years ago, not Prime. Sounds like Prime has a much better lease deal then the one i had.

ironpony

Supporter
I know what it means, I'm talking about the actual number.
That depends on the contract with the shipper. The less lucrative loads are loaded on company trucks as much as possible - they're paid per mile.

That doesn't mean a lease op isn't going to be presented with something that's in that realm. The object is to move freight.

Dispatch is made via a regional mty queue... you go in at the bottom, and are presented the best available load when you hit the top. Some priorities exist with loads that require a team, hazmat qualification, hi-val qualification, etc.

Company guys are force dispatched, lease guys can reject a load, but go to the bottom of the queue. That spreads the not-so-good loads around, and prevents one guy from sitting at the top of the queue cherry picking loads.

There's not a simple answer for, "how much."

How do they handle lumper fees now? Out of their percentage, or out of yours?
We're reimbursed for 99% of lumper fees.

ironpony

Supporter
Do you know, before accepting the load, if this potential fee will be covered?
Any special terms for lumpers are always covered in the dispatch. Default is that you're going to be reimbursed. Many of those that aren't are due to the driver screwing up. Something like not getting the fee approved by the shipper prior to telling the lumper to get busy.

Its such a minor deal, that I rarely have a problem with it.

Mike

Staff member
Any special terms for lumpers are always covered in the dispatch. Default is that you're going to be reimbursed. Many of those that aren't are due to the driver screwing up. Something like not getting the fee approved by the shipper prior to telling the lumper to get busy.

Its such a minor deal, that I rarely have a problem with it.
That is a clear positive change from my dealings with them. Back in the 90s and for my very brief stint in 2002 as a lease purchase driver, it was simply part of the rate and you had no idea until you got there whether it would be a lumper situation unless you knew the place.
I used to get it covered through dispatch before taking the load if the rate was questionable.

ironpony

Supporter
Well, from his response to my Schneider thread, 72% is bringing him north of $1.40/mile for all miles on the truck.

How far north is the question
'15 - $1.68 pm

'16 - $1.67 pm

I know it was higher in '14, but that was a one-off year. You could swing a dead cat, and hit a load with a superb rate anywhere the corpse landed.

It varies with how you conduct your business. I set a daily revenue goal, and try to exceed it as much as possible. Loads that don't meet that goal are rejected.

I concentrate on regional loads - Midwest, and Northeast, that minimize my costs. Doesn't mean I don't go out west occasionally... someone's gotta clog that granny lane!

:D

Mike

Staff member
That's the type of numbers I was used to, and 2014 was a wonderful year, lol.

Could have kept my numbers up there this year, but wasn't willing to follow the rates.

JunkYardDog5958

I never had a problem getting load assignments from Prime. Problem I had was sitting at the meat or poultry packing plant waiting for my load to be ready. Plainview, TX, Dodge City, KS and Garden City, KS were the worst.
National beef in dodge I refuse to load there. Cargill I just drop trailer and go home as I only live 60 miles from Dodge City and 85 from Garden City. I usually schedule something 3-4 days from when drop then head there to grab and go. Living in area helps hugely.

dchawk81

That depends on the contract with the shipper. The less lucrative loads are loaded on company trucks as much as possible - they're paid per mile.

That doesn't mean a lease op isn't going to be presented with something that's in that realm. The object is to move freight.

Dispatch is made via a regional mty queue... you go in at the bottom, and are presented the best available load when you hit the top. Some priorities exist with loads that require a team, hazmat qualification, hi-val qualification, etc.

Company guys are force dispatched, lease guys can reject a load, but go to the bottom of the queue. That spreads the not-so-good loads around, and prevents one guy from sitting at the top of the queue cherry picking loads.

There's not a simple answer for, "how much."

We're reimbursed for 99% of lumper fees.
I wasn't asking for the number. I was only saying the dollar number would be my primary concern as a lease operator more so than the percentage figure or the offer of "lots of mileage."

ironpony

Supporter
National beef in dodge I refuse to load there. Cargill I just drop trailer and go home as I only live 60 miles from Dodge City and 85 from Garden City. I usually schedule something 3-4 days from when drop then head there to grab and go. Living in area helps hugely.
I've been getting scheduled in do I don't have that wait. Dispatch shows that big window, but I'm getting there at the back end of it. The shippers have done a better job of getting our loads out too.

Mike

Staff member
I guess it really pays to keep up with current information regarding the various companies.

I believe @ironpony in regards to the rates, but if someone off the street tried to tell me that, I would consider them to be lying. My first experience with them was great, but over two decades ago. Early 2000's? I wanted to drive their lease truck through their building.

Is it what I would want to do now? No. It does sound like a viable option for someone who doesn't mind being gone from home longer than I prefer, and doesn't mind giving up full control over load choice and crazy appointment times.

As for leasing a truck, I would still want to nail down the cost specifics, and total payoff for the truck. Keep those things in mind for any lease purchase. Know what your overhaul cost is going to be, and realize it is very possible you will need to have that money on hand once the truck is paid off. It's real easy to fall in the trap of having a lease purchase almost complete, fear the truck being too costly to repair, and simply start the leasing process over again.

ironpony

Supporter
I wasn't asking for the number. I was only saying the dollar number would be my primary concern as a lease operator more so than the percentage figure or the offer of "lots of mileage."
Look, it's a business, so you have to approach it that way. To adequately analyze something like this you need to put together a profit/loss sheet that analyzes what your anticipated revenue will be, costs (including your salary) and see how it works out. I use conservative revenue numbers for something like this.

"Accounting for Dummies" is a good condensed reference for how to look at these things. "The Personal MBA" is a good basic business course.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Doesn't matter who the lease is through. You will still have fixed overhead and variable fuel and maintenance costs.

Do you give the lease company control to squeeze you out? Or do you keep the entities separate? Risk management now.

ironpony

Supporter
Doesn't matter who the lease is through. You will still have fixed overhead and variable fuel and maintenance costs.

Do you give the lease company control to squeeze you out? Or do you keep the entities separate? Risk management now.
They don't "squeeze out" lease operators at Prime. In fact, if you turn in a relatively clean, undamaged truck at the end of the lease, you can expect to walk away with a reasonably good sized payout. You get (by law) the balance of your escrow accounts - that's the required tire escrow account and your voluntary emergency fund, as well as any portion of the mileage charge not deducted for repairs.

Most carriers were sued in federal court by OOIDA for misusing the escrow account system, and in the worst cases - CRE for instance - illegally retaining all escrow funds. The suit against Prime was dismissed with prejudice.

"Squeezing out" is an attempt by the carrier to retain the asset and the accrued cash.

What are the requirements to take part in the Prime lease? I looked into it and couldn't find a clear answer.