Pet baths at truck stops; anyone interested?

Discussion in 'Truckers Pet Stop' started by MshelP, Mar 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MshelP

MshelP New Member

I am a former driver (10 years OTR) who also worked in a vet clinic for a few years doing baths and grooming. I had to quit trucking a few years back for a variety of reasons and can't go back to driving but I miss the lifestyle. I also love animals and enjoyed working with them. I'd like to combine the best parts of trucking with the best parts of grooming and create a mobile grooming shop with living quarters in a 22'-24' box truck and hit the road.

My questions are as follows:
    Would you be willing to pay someone to bathe your pets while on the road?

Would you be willing to help crowdfund such a venture or, if not, pass the word to others who might be?

2. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

There are people out there doing this now (not focused on truckers though), so I guess there must be some interest. I wouldn't be focused on the trucking industry though, basically see if your area is already saturated by this business, check demand, then get busy putting the business together.

3. MshelP

MshelP New Member

Yeah, I know there are mobile grooming business's in the cities but I'm not interested in staying put in one place. I want to focus on drivers because that is a completely untapped market. I know that during my years driving with a dog in my truck there were many, many times that I wished I had a way to bathe her while on the road. I'm pretty sure I have some gypsy in my background somewhere because I loved going place to place all the time as a driver.

I WANT to focus on drivers, I like drivers, I miss being a driver but I want to know if there is enough interest on the part of drivers to make this a going venture before I invest a ton of work into putting together a business plan.

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sounds like a tough business to turn a profit with, but I wish you the best of luck.

My dog isn't currently on the truck with me, but when she was, I was home every week and she got bathed then. I guess there are some out here that stay out longer with pets that would benefit from this, and given that people have a tendency to spend more on their animals than themselves, there might be a niche here.

The question is, can you financially compete with people in the areas you would be traveling to? These days, it takes only seconds to google "mobile pet groomer" and have all the local results show up. Most who look for this type of service, I would imagine, are already doing this.

5. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian, Eh! Staff Member

They do have a pet grooming service at the Iowa 80 Americas biggest truck stop. It has been around for awhile. While you are not ground breaking in your idea, there is a market for it.

6. Ranger_375

Ranger_375 Well-Known Member

Throw in a long hose vacuum so while you're scrubbing up Cujo, his owner has the option to clean up the cab from fuzzball leftovers.

7. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

If your intent is to travel and market this interstate, make sure you check on licensing for each state you plan on operating in. Some have strict requirements for animal handlers and groomers and you'll have to be up to speed in each one.

Blood, MshelP and Mike like this.
  8. MshelP

MshelP New Member

Thanks Injun, I hadn't thought of that. :)

9. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I've had dogs most of my life.

Very rarely given them baths.

If they get stinky I usually just push them into the creek & when they dry off, they're not stinky any more.

GAnthony and rigjockey like this.
  10. rigjockey

Is that why you pushed @Sinister off the raft?

AK7, Injun and Blood like this.
  11. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

:rolllaugh3:

12. rigjockey

i am sorry:canada: that goes back to when I was hanging out at the trailer park. One hammerhead fell into the fire and then more so of a hammer head axes us why did you throw Sunny into the fire,do you not like him?
    No you drunk bastard, He fell into the fire and no we don't like him and we dont like you or anyone else. Now drink your beer and shut the **** up!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  13. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Damn...
    that's COLD!
    I'd ***** you but I'm laughing so hard I can't talk.
    :D

Tazz, Injun and rigjockey like this.
  14. rigjockey

the guy at the trailer park was wearing a nylon jacket when he fell into the fire. It melted his skin. he is a brown guy. The part of his burned skin is now white.
    He has never forgiven me for letting that happen. LOL

15. Skateboard

Skateboard ** Commie Express ** Supporter

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

16. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

although a great idea, i had to look up the word crowdfunding....

not only NO, BUT HELL NO would i give you any of my money to start a business. there are things the banks have, like Small Business Loans, or family.

there is simply NO WAY to trust you. not that this is a scam, but then again, it IS the internet.

i'd rather be out a $1.00 from a vending machine, which they ARE scams....

then to simply give money to a stranger...

i actually think you got some nerve asking people for money.

i see plenty of that, at nearly every street corner these days.

good luck.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  17. MshelP

MshelP New Member

I didn't actually ask people for money, I asked if anyone would be interested in helping fund a start-up for this kind of business.

18. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i see it as it is, asking for a hand out, when a bank will do. and if cannot go to the bank, maybe that's a sign of your credit worthiness..???

i simply hate it when people ask, beg, for money either in person, or on the web. why should we foot your bill, then you close up and run off, or here's a novel idea, collect all that money THEN run off...???

i would NEVER trust a person asking/begging for a handout...

go to a bank, and apply for a SBL.

19. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

Okay.. That'll do. You made your point. There are a lot of people out there who like to participate in crowd-funding ventures and some successful businesses have been started that way. Many people see it as a small investment in another person's life that, while they might not see a direct return on it, it's a person who could have a business that will keep them off the government dole...which costs far more than an occasioonal ten bucks to help somebody start something good.

So..chill with the attacks, please.

20. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

:confused-96:

Ok let me start over, ...

ok, .... got that part, ...

Then this:

:confused-96:

:headscratch2:

Oh, you mean like, hypothetically, if someone actually did ask for money? o_O

Hmm...

:headscratch2: Ehhh, .. I think I'm with @GAnthony on this one. Except in a polite way.

So pretend I said it politely and not all sarcastically & stuff.

It's nearly impossible for me to be polite when people are hypothetically asking for money.

Or actually asking for money.

Or not asking for anything at all, ... being polite just isn't one of my strong suits.

Maybe that's why I like Trump.

stirpot2-trump.gif

Injun and Tazz like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.