Party Affiliation and Tribalism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Injun, Jun 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM.

1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

This article speaks about "fake" news, but it also makes some very good points about how we allow political ideology to affect our lives and relationships. It was written without pointing any fingers or taking one side over another. It was eye-opening for me, maybe because I am neither Republican nor Democrat and I can see myself reflected in the author's words to varying degrees. And I can see my friends on both ends of the political spectrum reflected as well.

I would like participants in this thread to please read the piece and comment on how they have been affected by today's antagonistic politics, what they would like to see changed and how they can personally help to improve the way we communicate with each other going forward.

Keep it productive. Comments such as "Kill all the Liberals" and "Shut down FOX" will be deleted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/upshot/the-real-story-about-fake-news-is-partisanship.html?_r=1

2. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Well count me out then. :D

:stirpot2:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Half my issues with social media is the acquiescence of logic. They rely on bobble heads and posts to tell them what is real.

People are devolving into two mobs. Once they choose a side they no longer think, they just react.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Do not

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

As long as the right mob wins, that's all that matters. It'll be all rainbows and unicorns, and the only people causing problems will be the libertarians but all we gotta do to pacify them is give them weed. ;)

6. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Just because Libertarians don't support drug laws, does not mean they all use drugs...or want to.

7. ready to roll

ready to roll I ain't got no panties

I have tried to consider the lefts point of view and it quickly doesnt add up for me. Why are they anti police? Why are they against enforcing illegal immigration? Why are they against a ban on immigration from terror states? Do they not remember 911, orlando, san bernardino and minnesota?

8. ready to roll

ready to roll I ain't got no panties

I didnt talk to my mom and dad for a month after they told me they voted for hillary. It aint right, but it is what it is. Now we made a agreement not to talk politics when we visit.

9. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

It all makes sense when you realize what their actual agenda is.

The democrat voters are just idiots, the politicians are just puppets, and the billionaires who fund their campaigns and tell them what to do are hell-bent on the collapse of the United States, both socially and economically, in order to have an excuse to form a global government with a single global banking cartel.

Several of them have even openly admitted it. One of the Rockefellers and one of the Rothschilds.

10. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Not gonna devolve this into a left agenda verses right. But the examples in you posts are precisely what the article talked about.

I maintain Officers should be held responsible for every round discharged. Does that make me anti-cop? We do have a war zone in our cities, but that is not justification in my mind to have up armor vehicles in the police force.

See you have to look beyond what the left or right agenda is. You have to engage you brain instead of relying on "Well their end game is so......".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Figuring out their end game is the result of engaging one's brain. It's called observing their actions and words and finding the obvious pattern.

Automatically assuming these conclusions based on observation and reasoning are just crackpot conspiracy theories is a knee-jerk reaction that requires few active brain cells.

I'd even go as far as to call it delusional.

12. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

And here is where much of the problem lies on both sides. Being mostly conservative in my thinking, I tend to align with many of your thoughts, but definitely not all of them. You take everything to the extreme and make everything 100% political. Very little discussion of an actual issue, a whole lot of discussion of why they other side is wrong about everything. Virtually any topic, you will dive off into an "us against them" rant, often with things that really should have no business in a true debate. It's unfortunate because it takes away from the serious discussion that you are 100% capable of.

You aren't the only one. Few, anymore, will acknowledge the problems from their own side. Their only concern is how to ridicule the other side and paint them as evil. It starts with the politicians at the top, and feeds down to the most vocal out here in social media.

With you on one side (and others who approach things just like you do), and folks like @ironpony on the other side, productive discussion on any topic becomes impossible. Those who would want to truly debate issues with reality and an open mind will either never engage in the conversation, or quickly be turned off by it all because they see how pointless it is and don't want to get in the mud with those who seem to enjoy it.

99% of people who engage in political discussions have forgotten that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. 99% seem to refuse that their party just might be wrong about an issue.

I can say, that at least on the right, there is productive political discussion amongst themselves. Regardless of the media ridicule, those on the right refuse to simply get in lock step with whatever the Republican message is and go forward with it. Healthcare is a prime example of that. On the left, it's not that way. These folks have perfected the art of aligning together in order to get a "win". They will argue whatever their side is pushing and defend each other right to the end, regardless of right or wrong.

An example of the last paragraph, using our recent presidential candidates.

Hillary Clinton, if a conservative, but with the activity surrounding her, would have never been a Republican nominee. There would have been enough of the party coming out against her, and refusing to get in line with her, even if it meant losing an election.

Donald Trump, if running as a democrat, would not be under the attack that he is today. There would be 100% support from the party, regardless of how they truly felt on the inside. No matter what the facts were, there would be 100% party support, and a fortress of protection from the media. See the fiasco surrounding the above nominee and what she was able to skate through with this protection.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • BS BS x 1
  13. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

The only productive political discussion in @Mike's opinion is one that involves everyone agreeing with him.

14. Mike

On the contrary, I have had my mind changed about many things over the years. That's because I am open to all ideas, not just what my political leaders promote. I don't take my orders from the General of either political party.

15. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Infighting on the right is mostly the result of traitors in our ranks like John McCain and Paul Ryan, and all of the "NeverTrump" criminals who are more concerned with preserving their crooked establishment than defending the country from the Marxists who have taken over the democrat party.

Are you suggesting conservatives should develop a herd mentality and support any douchebag with an R after his name, or stand on principle?

I don't know... The herd mentality would help us win elections but nothing beyond that. We've got the white house and both houses of Congress at the moment but very little is getting done, not so much because of the temper tantrums and lies coming from left field but because the Republicans in Congress are a bunch of cowards, terrified the media might attack them too, or they're leftist traitors like McCain.

Arizona needs to dump McCain, Wisconsin needs to dump Ryan, and South Carolina needs to dump that she-male Lindsey Graham.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mike

Traitors? Criminals? Thanks for making my point, LOL.

Suggesting conservatives develop a herd mentality? I said just the opposite. The one thing I commend some of them for is the fact that they don't fall in lockstep with whatever the Republican message is. Aligning with a party message is what kills independent thought.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

You don't think running on a conservative platform and then working with the Marxists makes them traitors? That makes them traitors to the country as a whole AND traitors to the voters they lied to.
    All the herd mentality accomplishes is putting more R's than D's in power. And I mean that literally,... letters of the alphabet.

The left currently holds the majority in Congress because so many of those R's are nothing more than a letter of the alphabet incorrectly placed where in reality it should be a D.

18. Mike

and this is why I never reply to your posts in this forum, LOL.

Your focus sticks on, not the discussions that are laid out, but the demonization of people making the decisions.

We are at a point where it is impossible to discuss any current event. The topic will always be immediately bypassed in favor of attacks on each other and each other's party. Again, it's what goes on in Washington today, and what goes on in social media. Nobody is interested in improving things, only in improving the win/loss record of their party.

19. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

That's because no discussion is required to establish the fact the decisions they're making are horrible.

20. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

Fixed.

What decisions? Those maroons couldn't successfully order deliver out pizza for their own caucus let alone carry on with the business of the nation.