Paid parking at the truck stop

Discussion in 'Truck Stop Reviews and Discussion' started by truckparkingAV, Nov 23, 2016.

1. truckparkingAV

truckparkingAV New Member

Hi, I really need your honest input about paid truck stops
    I want to build a truck parking alongside I15 in apple valley or hesperia, just parking, no fuel
    Equipped with showers, entertainment lounge, mobile mechanics, truck washers, maybe some food trucks or a standalone restaurant. Free wireless internet and power
    I am planning to have an app where you can reserve your spot inside, and pay with a cc that stays on file
    So, would you pay for an overnight parking or continue towards the TA in Ontario hoping to find a free spot
    Please give me your opinion, good or bad, how much would you pay for a reserved spot and if you are an OO or company driver

PS. I used to drive trucks a long time ago, I also had a trucking business, i expanded into other business venues.

2. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i am a company driver and would not pay to park, if i had to eat off of a food truck, or toemain(sp?) city.

if you are gong to provide, what basically amounts to a truck stop, for a few million dollars at costs, then go all the way.

i'd nary trust my credit card information as well.

truckparkingAV likes this.
  3. truckparkingAV

Thanks GAnthony, there are many regulations and issues regarding providing fuel, the food truck is just an idea, they are very popular in CA, a standalone restaurant might be better, your concern about cc info is legit, but these days you are more exposed using your card at the Arco then with a secure website

4. GAnthony

well i dunno how many times i have read, or seen in the news about hackers. nothing is 100% safe with our information.

i think you would still have to apply and adhere to EPA regulations for runoff, from oils, fluids dripping on the property. you're not gonna just put a slab of blacktop down, and call it a paid parking area. then you'll have to deal with the crime that is always available anywhere truckers are congregating. you plan on having 24/7/365 security as well..??

5. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

@truckparkingAV if what ya describe is "AS IS" Id actually "consider" on a Preplan getting Out though the FOOD had better be AWSOME...

Btw....Parking at Ontario TA ain't "Free" when ya pull in I get just 50 Gallons and that'll take ya almost an HOUR...

Fuel will cover Night One....

Next day I usually went INSIDE the Restaurant saved "recipt" and bought a couple things in the store again SAVE RECEIPT

6. truckparkingAV

@GAnthony, of course, the truck parking has to adhere to all regulations, and of course, security is top priority, I just want to make sure there is actually a chance of profit, the investment is relatively high

@BirchBarlow thanks for your input, I am familiar with TA's 50 gal policy

7. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

In that area, it's "if you build it, they will come."

I won't though. I don't go to California. That whole state can kiss my ass. "The Big One" cannot come soon enough.

GAnthony, gearjammer and BirchBarlow like this.
  8. BirchBarlow

This place was FREE still had a coupla decent spots to hit a nearly 10 pm

There is Parking in SO CAL ...High Desert Truckstop

9. GAnthony

the "Big One", is on it's way..it started in Japan.....

10. GAnthony

not sure of your profit projections, but serious monies will as you say, have to be spent. all for food off a roach coach, and maybe hacks as mechanics at high dollars too, making repairs. the cost of renting to them, they will most certainly charge more than fair market value for thier services.

same with security. you will not be able to have regular police, doing detail duty, at double the price of thier normal pay. so rent-a-cops will be most likely hired, and not too much integrity with those morons either.

i just don't see you making any profits for a few years, can you hold out till then..???

oh, it is NOT just the truck parking, that MUST adhere to all the EPA regs, it'll be the onsite repair services AND the truck washings as well...

if you're gonna go broke, then franchise with one of the major truck stop companies, that are not in that area. or maybe Mcdonald's or Arby's, and have loads of truck parking, then the drivers can call road service, forget the showers too.

it's gonna take serious money, to make a little bit back, in whatever time frame you are figuring on to become a millionaire.

11. truckparkingAV

@GAnthony thanks again for the input, i know it takes serious money, minimum 6 mil usd, and this is not a business that i am looking for a quick buck , it has a long term projection. This is not a path to become a millionaire quickly. It's an investment in an area that has a very good potential, AV is home to the largest Walmart DC, 1.2 mil sqft, Kohl's is building a 1.3 mil sqft DC, there is no more room south of 215, inevitably the next booming area will be AV. So this is one of the reasons i am looking to purchase about 30 acres next to the 15 . I might just hold on to it for 10 years and resale it.

12. 25hz

25hz Active Member

I don't pay for parking and I don't leave my CC info anywhere either. A growing number of truckers boycott truckstops that make you pay for parking. Just another money grab in California and around Detroit. A couple in Edmonton AB too.

13. Renegade 21

Renegade 21 Member

TruckPrkingAV
    Why would anyone want to pay for parking? This seems like just another way for a Truck stop, or otherwise related type of stop to take more money out of the drivers pocket. I myself think this is the dumbest thing the Travel Plazas (i;e Truck Stops) could do. It was bad enough when they turned them into travel plazas for every joe smo to use. If travel plazas and the government higher snots would pull their heads out of their rear ends. Maybe building larger plazas, more rest areas on interstates, safe havens with truck parking only. To many bleeding heart Liberals whining about trucks and drivers.

I do see some reasoning for the charge for parking, as this industry has in the years beaten its own reputation into the ground. Drivers to lazy to walk to a trash can, Piss bottles all over the ground, trash, etc. This is why they have started to charge, as they must pay someone to pick up other lazy, piggish, disrespectful peoples trash, and garbage. Cannot blame them.

I know, you cannot have an opinion in both sides of an argument. For or against an issue. I see things from both perspectives ( truck stop, and O/O)

Blood likes this.
  14. Twin Stick Pappy

Twin Stick Pappy New Member

Pay to park. Boy has things changed out there. I can remember whyou might fit en a true truck stop has 2 fuel pumps, service attendents, and you might fit 20-30 trucks in and around the small diner. Never any of this pay to park non-sense. The trucks in the good ole days had two sticks, and in some cases 3 sticks, a sleeper that you had to lay on your side to fit, weigh stations were no bigger than an outhouse, and so many more differences drivers, trucks compared to today's new aerodynamic, clean burning engines, travel plazas that resemble a mall, and so on.

15. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Hard to Handle

I was OTR for 6 years (2006-2012) and then again for a few months in 2015 (had to pay the bills.) In all that time, I paid to park 4 times. All 4 of those occasions I was in dire straits with no other choice.

If you want drivers to pay for something, you had better make certain it's something they can't find for free elsewhere.

BirchBarlow and Tazz like this.
  16. BirchBarlow

Victorville aint too far up the road now that I know about it although in Ontario I usually just bough the fuel or if I was definatley out the next day Id sit down eat in the restaurant and buy afew sodas n snacks and save recepits