Optimized idle shut down

Discussion in 'Freightliner' started by Truckerjr, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Truckerjr

Truckerjr Member

Ok I'm trying to figure out how to override my optimized idle shut down! I can't sleep when it's to hot in my truck and it keeps turning off every 5 minutes. I have a 2010 freightliner can anyone help?

2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

If it's Opti=Idle, in which the engine starts and stops depending on how you set the interior temperature, I think there's a fuse you can pull.

If it's auto-shut down, in which the engine shuts off after a specific amount of time and does not automatically restart, I believe it's something to do with setting the cruise on the Shakers.

Otherwise, set the trailer brake, but leave the tractor brake button pushed in.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Quit & go work for a different company. They are not worthy of your services.

It's the only solution. You need your sleep. You don't want any DOT bears seeing you all tired & stuff.
    That didn't work in the dilapidated old Freightshaker FLD I drove at Covenant Transport. I just shut the danged thing off because the engine starting & stopping by itself every 5 minutes would wake me up. When warm weather came around, I quit.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Truckerjr

Truckerjr Member

Where would that fuse be located I looked under the hood and in the dash.

5. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

• Like Like x 2
  6. ds2dale

ds2dale Member

I have a new cascadia and the following is how mine works, ymmv. If your cab has a 'optimized idle' thermostatic controller in the bunk, you gotta turn it on by hitting any button. you also gotta be sure that the 'snowflake' is flashing for it to cool. Wavy lines is for heat, but the flashing part is the key. You turn on the idle management (a better term, also the words on the dash indicator) by switching the range selector from low to high, and then changing the cruise control from off to on. The yellow 'IDLE MGMT' indicator will flash. After about 4 min, the yellow CHECK ENG light and the red STOP ENG light will flash. Just let 'em. Remember, IDLE MGMT must be flashing for this to work. If it's not, the engine will stop as you would expect and the CHECK ENG light will flash, as you've seen in the past. If the outside air temp is above (not sure the correct value, heard it's 85 but I hope it's lower) and the snowflake is flashing the IDLE MGMT the following will happen at the end of the 5 min timeout: IDLE MGMT will be on steady, CHECK ENG and STOP ENG will extinguish, and the engine will idle up to 900 rpm. Note: if the snowflake is not flashing, the engine will stop but it will still be in idle management mode (IDLE MGMT on, CHECK ENG and STOP ENG off) and will protect the battery voltage. If the voltage gets low, the engine will start. If idle management is active the HVAC can be activated simply by turning the controller (in the bunk) on. Oh, yeah: the hood must be down and latched. There's an interlock somewhere, I don't know where (yet).

Of course, this is all for the '13 - '15 Cascadias I've driven.

Wow, this is an old thread....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I drove for Covenant Transport for 4 or 5 months in 2004.

They had optimized idle back then.

It was either wake up soaking wet with sweat, with a pounding headache from dehydration, or let that damn thing wake me up every few minutes when it starts & stops. I can't even sleep with a reefer on start/stop mode, let alone the big engine.

If the company has optimized idle, and no APU (that the driver has the option to put on continuous run mode) they're not worth driving for because just think of how many other ways they demonstrate they have zero respect for a driver's ability to get a comfortable rest.

• Like Like x 2
  8. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

:D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

I always thought this was one of the worse ideas in the industry. When these engines crank by themselves at night, they don't just start and idle, they start and wind up to 1500 rpm almost immediately, which just cannot be good for the pistons and sleeves...or anything. I made a mental note that if I'm ever shopping for used trucks NEVER buy one with this "feature".

It should be eliminated from the industry entirely. It not only wakes up the driver, but two guys on either side of him as well.

5 annoyed drivers because some bean counter (who sleeps at home every night btw) figured out it saves a buck...when constantly losing drivers and hiring them is way more expensive.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Haub

Haub New Member

11. Haub

Haub New Member

I finally figured out how to keep it running all night..simple as hell....if u plan on using heat cause it's chilly out side.hit the cruise button once,the light flashes,then go in bunk,but hit AC button. It won't turn off if temp don't get down below 69 degrees.. reverse for when u use AC,,,if u hit heat button it runs as long as temp don't hit 76 degrees....

12. Jordan666

Jordan666 New Member

Dude thank you. Iv been trying to work this optimized idle for a week now. Thanx

• Like Like x 1
  13. left lane

left lane Member

On some cascadias to keep it from shutting off after 5 minutes , just pushing the resume button wont work, you have to wait till the warning lights come on to push it then you will notice the higher rpms, took me awhile to figure it out :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

I love my APU
    I love my APU
    I love my APU

:D

15. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

I would never drive a highway truck set up like that.

Now I have this day cab and one ***** cold day the driver side door lock froze. I seem to recall in the summer we sked them to disable the idle shut down feature and they chose not to do so.
    So here is where it come to bite them in the ass!
    Head mechanic says you need to idle the truck to get it warm to unfreeze the lock.
    R.J. Can't the truck won't idle.
    H.M. well you need to tap the pedal when the light comes on to keep it from shutting down.
    R.J. Yeah I am well aware of that but yeah, I don't think so.
    H.M. You can't sit there and tap the pedal?
    R.J. Nope. We asked you to change the idle settings in the summer and you chose not to do so. I am not sitting here freezing my ass of to unfreeze a damned lock. I will be sitting in my nice warm personal vehicle when you mechanic gets here.
    Another key thing is that on a cold day like that the truck never warms up unless it is under load.

16. ironpony

Really bad for an emissions truck with a DPF.

17. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Luckily this is a pre-emissions truck.
    Like a '06 International 9200I

A DPF truck would be less than useless being as we only go about a mile and never break 45 MPH.

18. Injun

They've (well, PACCAR, anyway) fixed that. There are times when even an emissions truck has to idle to keep the DEF from freezing. Doesn't hurt them in the least. It just initiates a regen on its own. There was a full month recently, where I never turned this truck off, not even when I went home. Not a problem one.

19. ironpony

I was thinking more the low operating temps in cold weather for a local operation. The engine generates more soot, and the exhaust temperature doesn't really get high enough to do proper rolling regens. It's more an operational thing than something that can be fixed.

20. Injun

I thought we were talking about idling. Which doesn't get the temp up during cold spells, either. PACCAR fixed the problem by programming the ECM to initiate a parked regen without driver input. Therefore, idling will no longer plug the DPF, as it is capable of self-cleaning, same as it does when running down the road pulling a load. The 'Spreader and the Shaker I had did not do this. Extended idling was really bad because it required driver input to initiate a parked regen and it didn't request one until the pressure differential was almost 4. Optimal is under 1 after a regen. 4 is really bad.

Name of the thread is "...Optimized Idle."

• Like Like x 1