Onboard Truck Technology

Discussion in 'Trucking Technology' started by Hunter Standely, Feb 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter Standely

Hunter Standely New Member

I used to be a driver; however, I recently left for the office life and was placed in the maintenance department. My department primarily handles onboard trucking technology and I figured the best place to get feedback is directly from you guys, the drivers. Therefore, if you guys know of any new technology that betters the truck in general (aka maintenance, fuel, ect) or the drivers experience (in the cab) that you guys have adapted or found to be beneficial. Thanks for any and all feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

take more technology OUT Of the truck. K.I.S.S. Just more **** to break or cause issues.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Good question. Here are some technologies to consider.

• Telematics
    • Driver Behavior
    • Collision Avoidance
    • Digital Video Recording
    • Dash Cameras
    • Road Safety

4. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't forget the robot behind the wheel.

• Like Like x 1
  5. krelithous

krelithous Prius hater Supporter

i'm waiting to see how these things handle bad weather conditions. i gotta see what happens when a drunken tourist jumps out in front of it:popcorn: and i also gotta see what happens when the brainless idiot has there face buried in the phone and doesn't take over in time after the idiot alarms start going off:popcorn:. and what about firmware and map updates i am sure the dealer will charge for those also

6. krelithous

i can also see that these brainless idiots that come up with this **** don't care about job losses more than likely as this stuff becomes more and more advanced that's what's gonna happen!!!

7. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Better bluetooth technology so I can talk on the phone through the radio more clearly..... maybe advance it to a level where you can dock your phone directly into the truck.

Drivers side liftgate setup where I don't have to use my own energy to climb in and out of the truck maybe? That would be cool.

Windows that auto tint during the day, go back to clear at night for better visibility.

Invisible mode to save on tolls.

you can have all the rest of the junk you mentioned

• Like Like x 1
  8. Skateboard

Skateboard ** Commie Express ** Supporter

Bluetooth can be much much more powerful but at a price of battery life. I did the Bluetooth communications device for one of our products that communicates with another device. We were using the most powerful Bluetooth devices and that had a range of 300'. The new one has a range of about 5'. It's all about battery life and should be selectable by the user for headsets and other devices but it's not. Bluetooth is also effected by microwave ovens and florescent lights, same frequency.

9. krelithous

what no invisible mode for the fuel islands

10. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Can someone please explain how driver behavior , and road safety are a technology?

11. fast_kraut

fast_kraut Active Member

build a espresso machine in every truck.... thats what we need

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.