Ohio considers tractor-trailer side guard mandate

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
If one Ohio state lawmaker gets his way, commercial trucks nationwide would be required to use side guards.

Sen. Kenny Yuko, D-Richmond Heights, is calling on the U.S. Congress to mandate large trucks to have side guards installed and to establish technical specifications for the devices intended to improve safety. Senate Concurrent Resolution 16 would urge federal lawmakers to make it happen.

Yuko said during a recent five-year period that 556 pedestrians and cyclists nationwide were killed after side-impact collisions with trucks.

full story

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Probably a good thing. It’s a safety issue and when you look at the per truck cost it’s not a huge expense to business owners if it helps saves lives.
That's what they've been saying about elogs.

Yuko said during a recent five-year period that 556 pedestrians and cyclists nationwide were killed after side-impact collisions with trucks.

"...a recent five year period..." How recent? 1987 to 1992? Recent relative to when? The last Ice Age?
Curious how much money Yuko gets if he's able to push this. This Ohio legislator isn't talking about an Ohio mandate. He's talking nationwide.

This isn't about safety. It's about money.

dave350

That's what they've been saying about elogs.
Yep. ;)

I was trying to have a little fun but the fish didn’t even bump the bait. :p

I’m against all this stupid ****.
It seems like legislators are getting more and more intrusive trying to line their pockets at the publics expense. I really wish they would leave us the hell alone.

There, now we’ll see if @Tazz will like this post. :biggrin-2:

Rigjockey

Supporter
We had one elected official here in Toronto running around calling for side guards on all trucks. She was the only one doing so.
So yeah, all the trucking companies would have to know if they were going through or delivering in Toronto and make sure they had the side guards.

The idea never gained any momentum and luckily she has lost every city and provincial election she has entered ever since.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should I have to pay to "dummy proof" my equipment? Not happening! I have a better idea...stop over protecting the world and bring back the laws of nature such as survival of the fittest and natural selection. Some people SHOULD die.