O/P vs. Company

Discussion in 'Swift Transportation' started by Stig, Oct 1, 2016.

Owner Operator vs. Company Driver

1. No Way

100.0%
  2. Definitely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

You quoted yourself and asked yourself a question...

2. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i have actually worked for an LTL company, that had a part time driver. he was 75 years old. could not back up anymore, and someone at each terminal had to back in his trailers for him. he was as dependable as all hell, but he was OLD, and he had to actually study the eye chart to pas....no bull...he studied. (his son worked with us in the line haul division, and told us that)

i feel that there should be an age cut off for any CDL driver, period...what that gae is..??

maybe 68 tops.......then CDL MUST be turned in.

i am sure that some will say that a 70 oor 80 year old can drive just fine, and are as healthy as a horse.

but healthy has not much to do with reaction times, and reflexes.

but that is my thought on a CDL driver and an age cap.

do companies really care about a driver, or employee's in general..?? i dunno, i'd say no.

but my bro-in-laws mom has just died. the funeral was Monday (yesterday)..they sent to the funeral home, a bunch of flowers, and to our house, an "edible fruit arrangement"....

but he is NOT a driver, a mere machine shop worker...so i guess, his company cares......

you can still drive on a hurt wrist, maybe no more for Swift, but someone else.

what you do, either o/o or company is up to you of course. for me, i'd stay company, be done with it soon, turn in the CDL and live the life i always wanted to, by getting a part time job, as a male exotic dancer......

lot's of horney old ladies and drunk college girls to put a show on for.....!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

w
    well heck...I never said I was the sharpest knife in the drawer

4. GAnthony

i have batteries in my drawer....

n'ver mind what for....

i have LOTS of flashlights.

5. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

ha ha...

6. GAnthony

no seriously, i have a drawer (oh god) in my bedroom bureau (??) that has "supplies", like band-aids, toothpaste, envelopes, and yes, LOTS of batteries, for my flashlights, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and tv remotes.....

in another drawer..........

i have................

my unda-wear.......:biglaugh:

7. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I want to that Other Drawer :)

8. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

Oh really....what a concept...underware in a drawer

9. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I was just kidding, my little Blue Heeler Abby is extremely jealous,, I have met guys out here well up in their 80's pulling flatbeds,, better than I could do in my 60's. There is an age thing, but some people are just healthier and stronger than most. Sometimes it's wise to listen to the advice of the old guys,, especially when it's -40° and your truck is stuck and won't start...

10. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Yeah, that's the whole point...
    defer all the cost [and then some] of owning the truck to the operator.

I dunno about the company you're with but many of those that use the model are downright predatory to the point of criminal IMO.

They tout the illusion of owning your own business because it's alluring to many but then control everything you do.
    Many of their so-called O/O's aren't even allowed to have M&R performed outside the companies network of facilities.
    Some companies even require them to have M&R performed at company facilities while charging exorbitant prices and performing unnecessary work.

Anything to keep the victim on the edge of subsistence.

Some of these companies even run loads through their own brokerage and take a healthy cut of the top before calculating the percentage to the truck which ought to be a criminal offense.

A medical issue or family emergency leaves you not only without wages but the bills start piling up immediately.
    L/P payments of $700 weekly or whatever plus OCC/ACC insurance, physical damage insurance, cargo [in some cases] ridiculous [mandatory] maintenance accounts, etc.

Some are better than others but buying from the company store never made any sense to me.

There was someone on here a year or so ago who had been medically disqualified and was trying to sell his CR England L/P truck.
    He owed $5k - $6k as I recall on a truck that was three or 4 years old but was going to default within a couple of weeks and lose it all.
    He just wanted someone to come up with the payoff and give him a couple of grand.

England in particular is famous for predatory practices but they seem to find a steady supply of victims to bear the cost of ownership without ever reaping the benefits. They are a national disgrace and the definition of 'bottom feeder'.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kathleen

Kathleen Member

12. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Yes you are quite right Blood. They are cannibals,, I don't understand people like this,, they are simply sociopaths. They don't care about anything or anyone but themselves. You would think an honest company would take care of its people, and in return the people would take care of the company. But it has all become giant Walmart Corporations,, the driver is just a number, a driver code. It's sad, and it isn't going to change.

13. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

And which Walmart did you drive for?

14. GAnthony

i know, huh...??

there is just so many other places for one to put his/her unda-wear away too......

15. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I really don't see where that is any of you're business.. I don't want a problem with any of these large corporations. As far as Walmart goes, they are one of the better company's with drivers.. it's pretty much the same eveywhere. It won't be long before you have a bar code on your wrist..

16. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of you has experienced this. I always paid all my insurance's, including worker comp. Which is denied by Swift Trans. Fine print in the contract. But I constantly get phone calls from sunrise to sunset from hospital and medical saying my insurance's didn't cover this or that. The are automated calls,, it's really a nuisance. I don't have any more money. I had to cancel my health care. But they keep calling day and night. The call says: please hold for the next representative,, last time I waited 30min. And gave up. You would think the health care industry would have a person to talk with. But they are just robots now.. it's like trying to talk with an ATM machine..

17. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

I haven't experienced the whole just-a-number thing yet.

I mean I log in with a driver ID number but they know who I am. For better or for worse. Lol. I'm kind of a ***** who does his job well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GAnthony

frankly, i will not be called, and placed on hold. it would be expected, that if someone calls me, they had better be on the other end.

bad enough now as it is, when WE call, WE are put on not hold...but forget......

i call back no robo calls.

in fact, i report ALL robo calls to the "do not call list".....

from an old injury i had eons ago, workman's comp, paid 100% of everything, i never had any harassment calls.

maybe Swift got/gets a kickback or a percentage of your insurance premiums when they have a driver insured through thier agency..???? you know for filing fee's, etc,etc..???

19. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Just trying to determine where this vast knowledge of yours comes from. Guess you just pulled it out of your:eek:

You clearly have victimhood as your top excuse. I'll leave you this advice. Find a couple big old timbers, dig a deep hole, affix with rope a cross formation with the timbers, stand them up in the hole, crawl up on the structure and nail your f****** hands to it to become a proper martyr.

Your welcome:thumbsup:

20. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. I said goodbye to this post awhile ago. I simply wanted to discuss Owner/Operator vs. Company.. Maybe new drivers could learn from our experiences. But it appears you do not learn. Read my original post, I been living in the North Woods. You go hunting up here, you go hunting for Bear.. and kid, you are no Bear. But you want to continue insulting me. You think you gonna meet some old man with a broken hand in a truck stop,, get real.. drop it