O/P vs. Company

Discussion in 'Swift Transportation' started by Stig, Oct 1, 2016.

Tags:

Owner Operator vs. Company Driver

1. No Way

100.0%
  2. Definitely

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I just got back into cell coverage, from the far North woods where I have been living in my Airstream. I broke my wrist at a Petro during an oil change, working for Swift Trans. They took my truck, my entire maintenance fund, a letter stating my worker comp & contract was canceled. That's all I ever heard from Swift, After 3 years.. This is a Corporate Monster Company. Beware",, I was warmed about them,, but didn't listen.

Kathleen likes this.
  2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

Were you on duty when you broke your wrist?

How long were you out before they "took" your truck?

Did you turn it in at a yard or did they have to go retrieve it?

What was your balance owed to IEL when your truck was repossessed?

I was in a crash recently that destroyed the truck I had. Within three weeks of the crash, I received a letter stating my coverage was cancelled along with my contract. It's pretty standard. If you don't have a truck, you can't haul loads. If you can't haul loads, the contract is moot.

I had no problem getting another truck and a new contract, complete with W/C coverage, which is required anyway.

I'm curious what the rest of the details are.

3. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare

You left off a third option so I won't vote.

4. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Yes, Thx for the reply Injun,, it is complicated, I just got in cell coverage, in Wisconsin. Been up North in Chippewa. The big companies offer Owner/Op, but it is not. But Lease Purchase Program. But they have huge Law Firms to protect them. My wrist is not well, but they cut off my insurance. I have used up all my savings. But I have my dog Abby and my Airstream. I will pass the medical when my wrist is better, and get my class A back. Meanwhile I am just a nuisance to Swift. Like a Herpes Virus

5. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I am curious Mn. What is the third option..

6. mndriver

Independent.

Get your own authority.

Stig likes this.
  7. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Good idea, but i am getting getting a little to old to start all over again. My savings are exhausted thanks to Swift. But they burned me without reason. I feel I need to respond. New & Young drivers should know just what these Corporate Monster Company's are. When you get hurt,, They throw you off the Bus. Swift is a Corporate Monster

8. mndriver

Well, you can either mope and dwell on it and become bitter.....

Or you can learn from it and move one.

I got burned by a manufacturing company and then the state.

My options were to become a bad employee for someone else or say the hell with them all and set my own future.

I'd suggest you set your own future.

GAnthony, Stig and krelithous like this.
  9. Injun

You didn't answer any of my questions.

10. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

Yes, good advice.. it is not healthy to carry anger. In my years I have learned to let go of anger. But sometimes payback is necessary. There was an old movie I never forget. "Revenge is a dish best served cold"

11. mndriver

I've learned living in the past is pointless.

So I worry about today and make sure I provide for tomorrow.

I have to say too,.

I think there's more to this story than what your telling us and with that in mind, I'm guarded and reserved in my comments.

What type of injury? Work related or not? Did you go an extended period with no treatment?

That whole.....

krelithous likes this.
  12. TroyMotors

TroyMotors Well-Known Member

Why do I picture a seen from the movie " falling down"?

BirchBarlow and mndriver like this.
  13. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

14. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I don't understand all the recriminations, are you drivers or company lawyers & creeps. I broke my wrist while working, during an oil change at Petro. The Company Swift, cut off my worker comp, something about contract as Owner/Op. Something only the lawyer's know. These big trucking companies are Corporate Monsters. They don't care if you live or die out here. What more do you need to know

15. Injun

Whenever I've had oil changes done at Petro, they wouldn't allow me in the bay area while they were working. I guess some of us are curious what type of work you were doing while Petro was PMing your truck.

I'm not accusing you of anything, I'm just asking for more information. It's a legitimate request.

Lots of times, when somebody shows up on a forum making claims that a company screwed them, it comes out that the company wasn't responsible for what happened. In order to be fair to you and to Swift, we need the whole story.

As I said before, you have not answered my questions.

I'll even repeat them for you:

Sinister and BirchBarlow like this.
  16. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member

I believe I have answered all your questions. I was on duty when I broke my wrist. I was in the Petro Shop. I have paid all my insurance's. But abandoned now.. and it is not ok

17. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

Well @Injun I've known one thing to "Hold True" in Trucking...

It's "ALWAYS" the "DRIVERS" Fault no matter what

18. mndriver

you broke your wrist? And how long did that prevent you from working?

I had a heart attack and no one came for my truck or trailer.

matter of fact, my bank even worked WITH me and made sure I was able to have money to live on from the equity I had in my truck.

You took off and went north with your camper and were no longer in communication with IEL and Swift is more like the sound of it while you recooperated.

I have to agree with @Injun, just sounds fishy to me.

GAnthony and Sinister like this.
  19. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

mndriver likes this.
  20. Injun

You expect to still have insurance after three years?

I've been leasing from Swift for over six years. As I mentioned above, I lost my original truck in a crash and resulting fire at the end of June. I have no complaints over how the company treated me.

I run out of a WalMart DC. I have personally seen several drivers have medical issues and they were taken care of. Most recently, a contractor was in the hospital for a few weeks with a near deadly lung infection. He was out for six weeks before Swift cancelled his contract and repossessed the truck. It sounds bad, but the driver was in the loop the whole time. IEL suspended his payments during his illness to allow him time to get back on his feet. He couldn't go back to driving, so he had to return the truck. He was not charged for the suspended payments. Any money he had in his maintenance account was reimbursed to him.

When my crash happened, I was out for a month. Insurance covered my truck and sent the check to IEL. They took out the money I owed and sent me the rest. They flew me to Phoenix to lease my next truck.

There is a lot of information missing from your story. If your complaint is they cancelled your contract and repossessed the truck after you were out for an extended time and that the worker's comp we pay for is no longer in effect after three years, your complaint is invalid. A broken wrist shouldn't keep you out for three years, for one thing.

And how the heck did it happen, anyway? That's a big question I have.

When you simply show up to bash a company without details, regardless of what company it is, most of us will have questions and want the whole story. If you came here to get commiseration just because it's Swift, this isn't the forum you're looking for.

If you think you have a legitimate claim against Swift, contact Paul O. Taylor. He's a lawyer who specializes in such cases. @patriciajnsn can give you his contact information. She has retained his services in the past.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.