Need to rent a Class B in Wichita

I am needing to rent a Class B truck with air brakes in the wichita area to take the skills test in. Ryder has 3, but they are out and no other place will rent one. I did find one in St. Joe for only $575. I would appreciate any thoughts or input.

GAnthony

I am needing to rent a Class B truck with air brakes in the wichita area to take the skills test in. Ryder has 3, but they are out and no other place will rent one. I did find one in St. Joe for only $575. I would appreciate any thoughts or input.
i was going to say the usual..got a friend that has a truck?

GAnthony

YOU as a person without a CDL can NOT rent out any CDL truck, at least that used to be the rule when i worked for Ryder.

you need a sponsor (one who has a CDL) who can rent out a truck

now too, NO INDIVIDUAL can rent out a CDL truck, it MUST BE rented by a company, at least that used to be the way it was when i worked at Ryder.

if they changed thier rules/policies, of course i would not be aware of it, (as i have not worked for them since about 2009) but if the rules/policies are the same?

then i am as surprised as all hell, the agent did not tell you this. so as to not waste your time.

you may have to "rent out" a truck driving school instructor and thier truck for the testing.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
They have plenty of class b's eligible trucks they rent to civilians every day.

My MIL rented one in Phoenix. When she finally told the guy that I would be driving after the contract and everything else was written I showed them my license.

International with air brakes. It was an automatic though.

GAnthony

They have plenty of class b's eligible trucks they rent to civilians every day.

My MIL rented one in Phoenix. When she finally told the guy that I would be driving after the contract and everything else was written I showed them my license.

International with air brakes. It was an automatic though.
ok but in of itself, unless one has a CDL, one cannot rent/drive it.

having you there was proof you'd be the driver, assuming they took a photo copy of your CDL as well??

GAnthony

Nope. And they had already handed her the keys.

People rent these things as moving vans all day long.
yeah but usually non-air brakes.

again, i worked for Ryder. now things do change, but that is simply the way it was. and frankly they should never rent out to a non-CDL holder, any truck that has air-brakes..

Rigjockey

Supporter
They rent out the same sized truck but they are only registered to carry a weight that would fall into a class of a regular drivers licence and of course they are not air brakes.
At least that is how they do it here. the truck is registered for GVRW of 5 tons.