Moving again...

(((ME)))

My yearly taxes are not too shabby given where I live....Around a $100.00 a year. School tax is less to since they closed down two schools here due to low enrollment...I really cannot complain.

GAnthony

Baloney.
That might be the case in Rhode Island, but everywhere else I've heard of, taxes automatically go to the schools. Hell, Tennessee even has (or had) a surtax on vehicle registration that specifically said it went to schools.

If you're talking about special levies that residents have to vote on, that's not part of your normal property taxes. They are temporary funding for specific projects or programs and have specific sunset dates. They're not allowed to be permanent.
There are no areas not covered by a school district. Not that I'm aware of in PA anyway.

Besides, there's an elementary school right down the street so that isn't it.
ok here's the thing why i said what i did about school districts. i watch a lot of real estate type of shows (as well as home improvement) one of them a young couple were (i think) in an area of Long Island. the realtor said the PROPERTY taxes were lower in that area, due to it NOT being in a school district. problem for me now is that i cannot remember what show that was and i most certainly tried several google searches.

not saying that they can't get whacked on motor vehicle taxes, but then again, no school district, as the motor vehicle taxes are usually collected for that town/city, not the state, then again, maybe not. all MY car yearly taxes are for my city.

if i can find that show on a google search, i will most certainly post it.

i am not one to make up stories, but unfortunately, i cannot always find what i am looking for, as i go on memory from what i had seen, on tv.

dchawk81

ok here's the thing why i said what i did about school districts. i watch a lot of real estate type of shows (as well as home improvement) one of them a young couple were (i think) in an area of Long Island. the realtor said the PROPERTY taxes were lower in that area, due to it NOT being in a school district. problem for me now is that i cannot remember what show that was and i most certainly tried several google searches.

not saying that they can't get whacked on motor vehicle taxes, but then again, no school district, as the motor vehicle taxes are usually collected for that town/city, not the state, then again, maybe not. all MY car yearly taxes are for my city.

i am not one to make up stories, but unfortunately, i cannot always find what i am looking for, as i go on memory from what i had seen, on tv.
Realtor wasn't in PA that's for sure. Public education is considered a right, and paying for it is considered a civic duty.

The only thing that varies is the rate.

We don't have annual taxes on vehicles here. We have tag registration annually and now every two years (doesn't save any money though) and safety inspection annually. Some counties have emissions testing and fees for that but mine doesn't. The registration is collected by the state and inspection is collected by certified garages on behalf of the state. Those same garages do the emissions on behalf of the county.

GAnthony

Realtor wasn't in PA that's for sure. Public education is considered a right, and paying for it is considered a civic duty.

The only thing that varies is the rate.

We don't have annual taxes on vehicles here. We have tag registration annually and now every two years (doesn't save any money though) and safety inspection annually. Some counties have emissions testing and fees for that but mine doesn't. The registration is collected by the state and inspection is collected by certified garages on behalf of the state. Those same garages do the emissions on behalf of the county.
yeah, here the tax rates are different from city to city, town to town. personally i feel that if i lived in an area and had no kids? i shouldn't be paying school taxes.

my whole state has emissions testing otherwise, they'd federal monies. those tests are run by any garage that applies for the license. we also have a yearly vehicle tax, but now, there is a 6 year plan to dissolve that.....again..we had the tax, they dissolved it, can't balance the state budget, we got it again, even though, it was written into law to abolish it, great state. we shall see how long this dissolved tax will last.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter

Sounds like a local levy, which is added to property taxes until the levy expires.

GAnthony

Sounds like a local levy, which is added to property taxes until the levy expires.
thing is (here at least) not too much expires. there is always some reason why a fee or tax must be continued. like the inability for the gooberment to meet the budget gaps........

i suspect that once the car tax is eliminated, it'll soon be back.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
thing is (here at least) not too much expires. there is always some reason why a fee or tax must be continued. like the inability for the gooberment to meet the budget gaps........

i suspect that once the car tax is eliminated, it'll soon be back.
It does expire, but your neighbors are convinced they need to keep renewing it or they'll turn the heat off in the schools and the poor children will freeze their little asses off. Armageddon will commence and you'll have cats living in dog houses. So they vote to extend/renew the levy.

GAnthony

It does expire, but your neighbors are convinced they need to keep renewing it or they'll turn the heat off in the schools and the poor children will freeze their little asses off. Armageddon will commence and you'll have cats living in dog houses. So they vote to extend/renew the levy.
:rolllaugh3:

Geranimojess

Last W/E we travelled to Cork again...saw a spanking new 3 Bed Detatched Bungalow within walking distance of Mallow Town...the Builders were just putting the finishing touches to it...Timber Flooring and Carpeted Bedrooms,Tiled Kitchen/Dining Room...Attic converted to extra B/Rooms / Playroom/Snug Room whatever you choose...ready to walk into and just put the Kettle on...All Bedrooms are on the Ground Floor including an On-Suite and extra Showers and Toilets...

Jean's Eyes lit up which was a big plus as she is a very hard Woman to please...even Aideen was somewhat taken aback by her reaction...it didn't take much talking over Lunch to come to a decision so there and then we put an offer in...as we were heading back to Sligo that Afternoon the Auctioneer said he would ring us later to let us know if our Offer had been accepted...Driving back through Torrential Wind and Rain we were both wrapped up in our own thoughts totally oblivious of the Mobile Phone ringing,it was Aideen...she was in Town and passing the Auctioneers Office could not resist going in to see if there was any word..."IT'S YOURS" she said...your Offer was accepted...I wanted to tell you first...The Auctioneer will ring you later with the details after it sinks in....I don't recall completing the rest of the Journey to Sligo...

Next Morning it was straight into the Bank and had the Deposit wired to his Account then onto our Solicitor to tell her to commence dealings...this Evening she called in to see us {she only lives 10 Min's away}and confirmed the Legal papers had been sent to her and the Ball was now rolling... over here either party can pull out of the deal up til' the time the Contracts are signed so having already been stung by the previous Sellers which has still left a nasty taste in my Mouth I'm putting the Champagne on hold for another few Weeks...but at least we are further ahead than we were this time last Week...

krelithous

Prius hater
Supporter
LOL....Home is where the heart is....Blue skies no smog....Mountains filled with wild life.....All you got to do is sit, look and listen.
100.00 is unheard of a year for taxes i don't care how depressed the area is. i'll be putting my house up for sale soon as it will be a private sale so it won't even be on the mls

Last edited:

(((ME)))

100.00 is unheard of a year for taxes i don't care how depressed the area is. i'll be putting my house up for sale soon as it will be a private sale so it won't even be on the mls
It is what it is that what I pay in taxes per year. Bank takes it out of my escrow account and pays it for me. My escrow, savings, checking are all separate. Tax department sends me a statement that the way I set it all up. Duh....Get real just how much money do you think can collect out of less then 2000 residences for taxes.
The area is no more depressed than other areas of this country. You live in high dollar state. I do not live in high dollar state.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
Last W/E we travelled to Cork again...saw a spanking new 3 Bed Detatched Bungalow within walking distance of Mallow Town...the Builders were just putting the finishing touches to it...Timber Flooring and Carpeted Bedrooms,Tiled Kitchen/Dining Room...Attic converted to extra B/Rooms / Playroom/Snug Room whatever you choose...ready to walk into and just put the Kettle on...All Bedrooms are on the Ground Floor including an On-Suite and extra Showers and Toilets...

Jean's Eyes lit up which was a big plus as she is a very hard Woman to please...even Aideen was somewhat taken aback by her reaction...it didn't take much talking over Lunch to come to a decision so there and then we put an offer in...as we were heading back to Sligo that Afternoon the Auctioneer said he would ring us later to let us know if our Offer had been accepted...Driving back through Torrential Wind and Rain we were both wrapped up in our own thoughts totally oblivious of the Mobile Phone ringing,it was Aideen...she was in Town and passing the Auctioneers Office could not resist going in to see if there was any word..."IT'S YOURS" she said...your Offer was accepted...I wanted to tell you first...The Auctioneer will ring you later with the details after it sinks in....I don't recall completing the rest of the Journey to Sligo...

Next Morning it was straight into the Bank and had the Deposit wired to his Account then onto our Solicitor to tell her to commence dealings...this Evening she called in to see us {she only lives 10 Min's away}and confirmed the Legal papers had been sent to her and the Ball was now rolling... over here either party can pull out of the deal up til' the time the Contracts are signed so having already been stung by the previous Sellers which has still left a nasty taste in my Mouth I'm putting the Champagne on hold for another few Weeks...but at least we are further ahead than we were this time last Week...
Tell me about it. Had the Florida property sold 3 times and they bailed last minute.

PITA!

Told the 4th guy I want a check up front for half as deposit. Surprisingly he bought it after that.

Geranimojess

Tell me about it. Had the Florida property sold 3 times and they bailed last minute.

PITA!

Told the 4th guy I want a check up front for half as deposit. Surprisingly he bought it after that.

We are usually required to pay a 10% Deposit which is subject to an Engineers report on the Property...passing the Initial Inspection the Solicitor then begins the procedure of checking that all Tax'es IE...Property Tax {rises or drops according to the Property value}...Planning permission Certificates for any work carried out during your Residency...Is the Sewage and Water Supply Private or Mains connected....Marriage Certificate...Title Deeds....and other stuff I'd never heard off...seemingly every year another Money grabbing Tax is imposed on you because you had the cheek to dare own your Home...during this time your sitting on Eggs waiting on the Engineers Report and expecting the other Guy to change his mind and pull out...

Even though this will be our 6th move in 46 yrs of Marriage the older one gets the more pressure you feel and right now I'm feeling the stress for both Jean and I...hopefully within the next 3/4 weeks it will all have been worth it...I'm a firm believer in the man above and he has not let me down yet, the only problem I have with him is that he never tells you in advance what his plans are...:confused-96:

(((ME)))

I had passing thoughts about moving away from where I am at....But would have no idea where I like to move too....In the end I just end up staying in the same spot. Then I look around at all that would need to be moved and think nope way too much work. So I just hang around my old lily pad and and wait for the tomorrows to come along.

rigjockey

Token Canadian.

PITA!

I am not sure about Flo-rida but here that would be litigation, If the contract of sale was signed. It happens a lot!
a contract, is a contract, is a contract, is a contract!

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
I am not sure about Flo-rida but here that would be litigation, If the contract of sale was signed. It happens a lot!
a contract, is a contract, is a contract, is a contract!
Yeah I could have drug them through court, tied up the property for a couple years, and eventually gotten their 10% deposit for my troubles plus court dress time..........just easier to sell it to someone else.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
We are usually required to pay a 10% Deposit which is subject to an Engineers report on the Property...passing the Initial Inspection the Solicitor then begins the procedure of checking that all Tax'es IE...Property Tax {rises or drops according to the Property value}...Planning permission Certificates for any work carried out during your Residency...Is the Sewage and Water Supply Private or Mains connected....Marriage Certificate...Title Deeds....and other stuff I'd never heard off...seemingly every year another Money grabbing Tax is imposed on you because you had the cheek to dare own your Home...during this time your sitting on Eggs waiting on the Engineers Report and expecting the other Guy to change his mind and pull out...

Even though this will be our 6th move in 46 yrs of Marriage the older one gets the more pressure you feel and right now I'm feeling the stress for both Jean and I...hopefully within the next 3/4 weeks it will all have been worth it...I'm a firm believer in the man above and he has not let me down yet, the only problem I have with him is that he never tells you in advance what his plans are...:confused-96:
Yeah we have the deposit here. But right up until the closing day people can walk away. You can take them to court and meanwhile your paying the taxes, HOA fees, paying for lawn maintenance (I am 700 mikes away) worried someone is going to shack up on the property because then you have to go to court to get them evicted..........