Minimum truck spec

Discussion in 'The Layover Tavern' started by mndriver, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

It doesn't bother me either but it bothers older people whose eyes don't work the same as they used to.

I don't mean old as in they're about to move to Florida and listen to Jimmy Buffet all day, I mean more like 40-50 plus.

2. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

I believe operating in the granny lane below the maximum speed limit isn't discourteous.

Fuel is either the first or second largest cost on any transportation businesses profit/loss sheet. I fail to see how needlessly throwing money down fuel rathole to satisfy your childish need for speed in any way prevents you from using the 1+ lanes to the left to accomplish a passing maneuver.

3. freebeertomorrow

freebeertomorrow Active Member

i get the age thing...i still fail to realize how a flash of light in a mirror of ones peripheral vision is so destructive to ones ability to drive. i think the truth is some people are natural born complainers, little *****es if you will, and love finding things to embellish and complain about.

4. Hammer166

Hammer166 Instigateur №166™

The problem isn't a peripheral vision flash, it's that the flash is often timed for the exact moment you look over at the right mirror to see if you're clear. And that will mess up your night vision.

Blood likes this.
  5. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

On today's crowded highways, if you're forcing literally everyone in the right lane to cut into the left lane that's usually flowing way faster than most trucks go, you're an ass hole.

Unless it's unintentional, like it's a wimpy emissions truck struggling to get up a 1% grade with 15,000 lbs in the caboose. :rolleyes:
    Not in the peripheral. It's if they happen to be looking in the right mirror at the time.

Hammer166 likes this.
  6. ironpony

You're just admitting that your skills as a professional driver are lacking.

7. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member

Often, as pointed out in another thread, a driver being passed gets a shot of jerk juice and accelerates to match the speed of the passing truck. When the driver of the passing truck gives up, there's a truck on his butt and sometimes one on the other truck's butt...or the driver he was trying to pass slows down and holds him left.

I don't care if another driver wants to be in front of me. Just don't hang me up. And don't be a jackass when I try to get by. If they're happy going 59 with me behind them, what difference does it make to go 59 with me in front of them and walking away because I'm choosing a faster speed?

I do my level best to stay out of the elephant herds. I've even stopped to take 5 to get out of them. Sometimes, I get hung up in them anyway. Every load I run is on a fairly tight schedule. I have never not made an on-time delivery because one truck is passing another.

@mndriver, you have said on these boards that you have your trucks tuned so that they can fly over hills. You know that most trucks, including independents like you, are not tuned like yours, for whatever reason. Because of this, you know you're going to climb faster than 90% of the trucks on the road. Hell, I pass other trucks on hills all the time, even loaded. But what good will it do me to get pissed becauee my truck is tuned to pull a hill while somebody else is tuned for flat-land speed? You get yourself all twisted up like this while you're driving, you're just going to give yourself another heart attack.

Traffic and elephant herds are not what prevent me from getting as far as I would sometimes like to. My customer's foot dragging or my own time wasting do that...or my unrealistic goal setting.

Just sayin'.

ironpony and rigjockey like this.
  8. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian, Eh! Staff Member

Damn! I had those HID lights on my truck and people oncoming would be flashing me the hi-beams thinking I had mine on.
    Now, if I were to flash the brights for a guy to come over they would surely be blinded.
    Luckily it was a Pete and the have a light dim feature and also a headlight switch.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Injun likes this.
  9. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

You can't justify your assholish behavior so you resort to insults?

Typical.

Too bad you're not a minority. You could play the race card too. :rolleyes:

Do you get annoyed by cars doing stupid things like passing you 300 feet before their exit ramp, cutting you off then slamming on the brakes?

Do you get annoyed by steering wheel holders taking their 30 break on the fuel island?

If absolutely nothing that other people do on the road annoys you, you're probably too doped up on happy pills to be safely operating any vehicle.

For the record I'm not referring to neutered megafleets going 62 because it's all their trucks will do. I'm talking about the ass holes intentionally creeping along at 50 mph in a 70+ zone trying to get that fuel bonus. It's just about always a Prime truck too.

10. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member

Having you engines tuned for the power end of factory settings is not significant.

It's nothing to order a truck with 2050 torque. @JunkYardDog5958 is tuned for an easy 515 up and 1850 torque in a factory series 60 12.7. I'm tuned to 2100 torque.

Both of them factory stock tunes.

Now if we were running Aussie tunes or a stationary tune, it might be something different.

We run those settings because they save time. Constantly fighting over hills burns you 14 hour clock and reduces what you have for driving.

@JunkYardDog5958 commented he's not running any faster, but he's not driving nearly as long for the same miles. Some days, extending his daily range 90-100 miles daily. For no more work or lost fuel mileage.

He's in an old Werner truck and I've got an old pride transport truck.

And yet, for maintenance and lack of skill, fleets are castrating trucks back so far that they can put any wheel holder in it and know they won't burn up an engine.

Duck likes this.
  11. Injun

...and you got into your first truck with all of your current knowledge. You're the exception. I had to learn the dynamics and limitations of big trucks. I'm grateful to Swift for handing me a $50,000 piece of equipment to learn in. Can't think of any independents who would have done the same.

rigjockey likes this.
  12. r3gulator3

r3gulator3 Well-Known Member

Ok so sometimes. There is a dill weed with a fast truck running slow...Like 55 in a 65. The road is empty I see no problem with getting out to go around dude doing 55 while I'm running 62. I get in the hammer lane and as soon as 55 truck sees the company name on my door he stands on it. I try to slow down and get behind and he slows down with me just to cause this turtle race to be a nuisance to other drivers on the road. Don't be a dill weed and force me to hang out in the hammer lane because you don't want to be passed. If you speed up I'll gladly get back behind don't force me to stay out there.

ironpony, rigjockey and Injun like this.
  13. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

My quick blip flash is timed for the moment the trucker clears my front end, long before he's intending to get over. Letting him know that he's good any time he's ready to move over.

If he knows the dimensions of the truck, he ain't looking yet. I don't look to see if I'm clear when I know it's just feet.

My headlights come back on slow. That's why I don't give a quick on-off.

I'd much prefer an interrupt. But I'm still being helpful when I can because it's also another way of acknowledging my annoying governor.

Since 99% of truckers are actually appreciative, even if they don't NEED the help (should we be behind the wheel if we do? Probably not), I'm not gonna let a handful of whiners on a forum change things.

Just like someone offering to help me slide tandems or something even when I'm good. Don't be an ass, just be thankful someone gives a crap about someone other than themselves.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  14. Injun

FFS

Ranger_375 and Duck like this.
  15. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member Staff Member

Lots of complaining about both fast and slow trucks in this thread.

The problem isn't the speed, it's the driver.

Slow trucks don't need to be getting out of the right lane and holding back traffic while taking forever to pass another slow truck. Not only do they do this, they wait until vehicles traveling the speed limit are close and THEN they pull out causing everyone to hit their brakes. Complete unprofessional driving.

I also look at people stepping out into the left lane to pass on a hill when they are loaded heavy as unprofessional as well. You see cars traveling 75mph, yet you still jump out there to pass at 35mph, while passing another truck running 30mph. Drop a freaking gear and just stay in line when there is traffic that you know you are going to slow down by jumping into the left lane.

More unprofessional driving. When you are in the right lane, and traffic is entering from an on ramp, DON'T get in the left lane and cause everyone out there to jam on their brakes. Let the idiot coming up the ramp adjust their speed and merge like they are supposed to.

And the fast trucks, stop being that dumbass that rides on the bumpers of four wheelers and other trucks because they aren't getting out of your way quick enough. You too are driving in an completely unprofessional manner.

Simply show respect out on the road, give everyone their space, and pay attention to what is going on up ahead of you, and the slow and fast trucks can interact together just fine.

It's not a race out here, and showing patience for a minute or two a few times throughout your day is not going to mess up your day one bit. Having a wreck due to ignorant impatience will mess up your day. Take it to another level and kill someone out here due to your impatience, and it will mess up your life.

16. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Just put your 4-way flashers on. That makes it OK.

Screenshot_2016-03-13-01-49-28~2.jpg

Injun and Blood like this.
  17. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

Just no pleasing some people.

What's your truck number so I can avoid helping you in any way whatsoever, and you can then ***** about the lack of "brotherhood."

GAnthony likes this.
  18. ironpony

You're the one who mentioned your inability to figure out how to cut into traffic in order to pass a slower vehicle.

My comment was not an insult.

If you don't know how to or lack the patience to pass a slower vehicle in heavy traffic, that's not an issue my use of the right-hand pedal is going to help you with.

Exactly. The first thing the fast guys come up with is how discourteous it is to inconvenience them.

Tough ****.

I operate legally in the right hand lane, crank it up if I'm going to pass, and make sure one of the fingerless glove clan ain't around if I do.

19. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member

Who said anything about running fast.

It was about running steady.

Duck likes this.
  20. ironpony

Well gee. Excuse us po sinnuhs. We be sorry ta inconvenience y'all.