Long Car Trips (and How to Survive Them!)

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
So, my wife looked up an idea for small kids on long car trips, and it worked great on the way to Newark when we flew to Ireland this summer.

Rule #1: your kids good behavior in the car is limited to their attention span. Even if you have an over the seat DVD player, it will only last so long. So, here are more ideas.

Figure out how many state lines you're crossing, and head to the Dollar store.
Buy brown bags, and crappy toys.
Buy enough to put 2-3 toys in every bag per kid for every state line.

Bribe them to behave (while strapped in car seats - per federal law - for hours or even days on end) with said bags.

Also, the old stand-by's. "I Spy" was a WONDER to my 7 year old.

It works.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
My grampa had a pickup truck. We were restricted to the back. Whether the camper top was on it or not depended on the weather.

We didn't care. It was fun riding in the pickup bed. He had a mattress and cooler back there, so it was plenty comfortable.

Amazing that we survived NOT having seatbelts and car seats.

vaportrail

My grampa had a pickup truck. We were restricted to the back. Whether the camper top was on it or not depended on the weather.

We didn't care. It was fun riding in the pickup bed. He had a mattress and cooler back there, so it was plenty comfortable.

Amazing that we survived NOT having seatbelts and car seats.
admit it your grandfather had a shaggin wagon he just never told you

Inkeper

I thought being a parent was telling your kids to settle down and when they didn't, reaching over the top of the seat and swatting blindly hoping to connect with one of the offending children. Ahhhhhhh, sweet memories!

Pullin2

I married a pharmacist ....... do it with Gravol !!! ..............

Kidding .......... actually, besides the DVD player, the Nintendo DS's, and the books, there are the old favorites ..... magnetic game boards (checkers etc), as was mentioned 'I Spy' etc .......a deck of cards, like Monopoly Deal etc .......

We're a road trip family because we're six people with a mini van so we're pro's. We've done some SERIOUS road trips too.

I also let the kids help navigate with the big maps .... and I let them research and pick out meal and fuel stops .... I guess it helps that the 'Ol man was a long hauler in the day

Duck

Quack
Supporter
My mom's family is all in southwest Missouri. We'd make annual trips there to visit.

The first time my sister saw the arch in St. Louis, she yelled "FWENCH FWIES".