Interstate carrier operating Intrastate

Good morning,
I am trying to clarify a few points with Interstate vs. Intrastate regulations, specifically in Texas. The company I work for is based in Florida, but my home terminal is in Texas. The vehicles I dispatch are registered in Florida. 90% of our transport stays Intrastate inside Texas. My corporate office is suddenly telling me that our vehicles, even when operating Intrastate, are subject to Federal rules, rather than the rules adopted by Texas for Intrastate commerce. However, when I question them, they cannot intelligently point to a statute/rule/law that backs this up. Can anyone please help me with this? For the purposes of this question, I am only asking about Intrastate. I am aware that Interstate requires full FMCSA compliance.

Thanks, J

Tazz, thank you for your response. Can you please point to the regulation that states we are subject to interstate rules when we are operating an Intrastate trip?

Thanks, J

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
Tazz, thank you for your response. Can you please point to the regulation that states we are subject to interstate rules when we are operating an Intrastate trip?

Thanks, J
You are registered as an interstate carrier right? Look up your DOT and MC number. If it says interstate that is what you fall under. You can not flip flop back and forth when the trip remains intrastate.

Here is a q&a page from the FMCSA

How do I determine which of the 4 categories of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operation I should self-certify to with my State Driver Licensing Agency (SDLA)?

Once your declared as an interstate carrier, you are subject to the FMCSR's.

Tazz, the link you shared is in reference to medical cards for CDL holders. Since my drivers occasionally travel interstate with 10k+ GVWR, FMCSR does require they have a medical card, however, the vehicles fall under the 26k power/10k trailer limit, and aren't required to have a CDL, and thus aren't required to self-certify under any of those categories. We do not have an MC since we are a private carrier hauling our own equipment. Texas also requires all carriers, intra and inter, to have a US DOT number.