How bad does it have to get BEFORE intervention.....

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Because of their latest accident. Reporter went and included this tidbit.

1 dead in I-85 tractor trailer crash

State Troopers are still investigating the cause of this accident and why the driver lost control of the truck. The truck was operated by Swift Transportation, based in Phoenix. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, Swift drivers have been cited 4,098 times for unsafe driving in the last two years. 1 in 10 Swift drivers have been in a crash since 2014, 55 of which have been fatal. This accident makes 56.
So how bad of a record does a mega need before intervention happens? With (correct me if I'm wrong). 22,000 drivers that 20ish% of the fleet that's had an unsafe driving citation.

Pretty sure a much smaller carrier would have been deemed unsafe and shut down or forced into a program for improvement. I know I would have long ago had my iss score jacked up so high it would have negated my prepass account and gotten me a 100% pull in.

Screenshot_2016-04-07-06-48-42.png

Last edited:

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
When you take 1.8 billion miles and calculate 56 fatal crashes during that their rate seems liw. It is why all big companies want the rate reported as per million miles. When was Swifts last audit?

That said judging from the driver domiciled I am going to guess trainer and trainee. So RIP driver.

** Commie Express **
Supporter
An intervention?!?!? Actually, Swift's record is pretty good! There's no intervention planned and their CSA score is good. If you look, the unsafe driving is BS from 3rd lane violations, no 4-ways on to unlawful parking and no seat belts. Just think MN, you have one unsafe ticket and you at 50% unsafe driving for your company!!!

** Commie Express **
Supporter
Right before I got out my ISS score went from 0 to 66. I've been at zero for years. Not sure why it went up.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Because of their latest accident. Reporter went and included this tidbit.

1 dead in I-85 tractor trailer crash

So how bad of a record does a mega need before intervention happens? With (correct me if I'm wrong). 22,000 drivers that 20ish% of the fleet that's had an unsafe driving citation.

Pretty sure a much smaller carrier would have been deemed unsafe and shut down or forced into a program for improvement. I know I would have long ago had my iss score jacked up so high it would have negated my prepass account and gotten me a 100% pull in.

View attachment 34064
I'd like to see where the reporter got the stats from.

Is he including backing into a yellow pole as a crash?

The way it's written, makes it look like one tenth of the fleet has hit another vehicle on the highway. I know for a fact that's not true.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I know this for a fact....

For it to be considered a "Crash" for CSA records, it's got to meet specific criteria. Basically, hook, hearse or a nurse. Same as for a drug test.

nothing else is "reportable".

And that's coming from a federal DOT official. Same questions I had when I was talking to him about my accident from December.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
those accidents are only reported for 24 months prior to today on the CSA list.

So that would be correct.

Since 2014.

My accident falls off in Dec 2017. two years AFTER it happened.

So in 24 months, Swift has had 2113 accidents and 57 fatalities.

accidents.png

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
and here's the kicker....

all it shows it ALL the accidents that a motor carrier has been involved in. It's not TOTALLY accurate because of the fact....

Even if the motor carrier has been deemed NOT liable for the accident, it is STILL reported against them. And that is just plain wrong.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
1.8 billion miles a year so involvement in one fatality accident once every 28 million or so off the top of my head. Probably below industry average.

Edited to correct fat finger syndrome

Last edited:

Sinister

Smartass Emeritus
Supporter
In orientation the other day the orientation dude said the company I just signed on with has had ZERO fatalities in the last 2 years and run something like 285 million miles a year.

There were tons of other types of crashes, and I guess you're gonna have that with 2300+ trucks, but ZERO fatalities.

Then, a night or two ago, I found an article, and I also wonder where the reporter gets their stats from...

Quality Carriers, owner of leaked acid tanker, had 187 crashes in past 2 years

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
In orientation the other day the orientation dude said the company I just signed on with has had ZERO fatalities in the last 2 years and run something like 285 million miles a year.

There were tons of other types of crashes, and I guess you're gonna have that with 2300+ trucks, but ZERO fatalities.

Then, a night or two ago, I found an article, and I also wonder where the reporter gets their stats from...

Quality Carriers, owner of leaked acid tanker, had 187 crashes in past 2 years

Look them up on Safer. That is where the reporterS normally get that stat. QC runs under a couple different sets of numbers though IIRC. They have affiliates like Ryan and others right?