Heartland Express buys Gordon?

Discussion in 'Heartland Express' started by Black Knight, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Black Knight

Black Knight Well-Known Member

Thought I read a article about Heartland buying Gordon. Just wondering if anyone knows if it is true, or did I misread that article? If so, any changes coming or on the horizon that are known?

2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

3. Roadhog

Roadhog New Member

4. Roadhog

Roadhog New Member

Yes Gordon was purchased by Heartland. I worked for Gordon for a short time and did a good job in that I had heard of no complaints from anyone. I have driven safe for over 33 years and enjoyed my job. On a Monday morning I was at the yard to make a trip when dispatch asked me to report to the office. Went in to the general manager and was told "this is your last day of work" Like I was totally blindsided. All the request for why was I let go fell on deaf ears. Was told to hand over all company fuel cards and other paperwork pertaining to my job, then told to clean out my truck as they said I was to leave and never come back. Not one of the office staff had anything to say and everyone treated me like I was poison. So, so much for loyalty to a company and for doing a good job, hardly mattered to the Gordon, Heartland, crew. Just my experience I'm sure no one else will go through this, but beware it does happen even to a faithful and careful driver. Previous I had worked for Cascade Express, also purchased by Gordon in the Western division at Albany, Oregon. Don't count on forming many close bonds with anyone here as they are hard to come by.

• Like Like x 1
  5. realdesertkickin

realdesertkickin Well-Known Member

Ive been seeing gordon equipment at heartlands yard for quite awhile now...

My pal was at heartland for a long time....they took his old 71mph truck and gave him a brand new 64 mph truck, so he quit....as a calculator addict, this was too much to bare..

I did like what he said about the Tucson heartland terminal...He said every time you pull in, your truck gets fully washed and inspected as you roll in to park..thought that was cool

6. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Been seeing them together for over a year

7. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Saw a Covenant hauling an SRT wagon. They merge too?

8. TroyMotors

TroyMotors Well-Known Member

That was my first trucking job, Gordon THE BIG GTI!
    Good company. Family owned. They also owned a freightliner franchise called valley Freightliner.
    They did sell to heartland but kept the dealership.

9. TroyMotors

EXACTLY why I got my own truck and authority and do my own thing!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't say it enough to other drivers, no one give two shts about you or what you have done for them. All that matters is the load you are on and thats it! You'll be out with the garbage when they are done.
    Since doing my own thing I have had major ups and major downs and every day is filled with uncertainty but I feel better dealing with what I deal with today then the best days of working for someone else. I put my money were my mouth is and am doing ok.
    Not getting rich but I have my sanity and feel much better every day.

Sorry to hear your story. I been there and learned also.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

When did you get your Authority? I got mine in July of 2013

11. TroyMotors

I have had MY own twice. Once in 2006 and this one mid last last year.

12. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Yeah. A long time ago.

They're "Covenant Transportation Group" now.

13. Roadhog

Roadhog New Member

Glad you have your own accounts to haul for. I worked for Gordon years after shutting down my own business with my own authority. I once owned my own freightliner and semi trailer. I once hauled on trip lease basis and privately on my own authority back in the mid 80's on the I-5 corridor. I was fairly young like in my mid 30's I had a chance to purchase truck and trailer from freightliner in Portland, Or. I started as a WNI truck out of Wilsonville, Or. Was dispatched to ll western states to start. After that fzzled out I applied for my own authority and ran on my own. It was wonderful but as time went on my young children would see me only infrequently and I came to realize they didn't hardly recognize who I was anymore. I worked hard on my trips but like you say you don't get ahead like you thot you would. I did OK but my truck was not getting any newer and frankly the trips to LA were long and I found myself wearing out. With all the taxes I faced everytime I got home and all the repairs on the truck, I came to feel that maybe working for someone else was a better choice so I took it. It is a life of freedom but at a greater price than what I wanted so I caved and went to others for driving jobs and realized there were consequences. Hope you continue to do well and wish you happy days ahead. I once knew the freedom you love and understand exactly why you are at this place in your life. There are regrets and joys ahead for you and I think you have the wisdom to decide which path you will want to take. I thank you for your insights and know you really love what you do everyday.