Good Parenting? or Asshattery?

GAnthony

Supporter
that i must say, was REALLY FUNNY....

and sadly true of a percentage of today's kids. they do not socialize outside of the puter room, they do not get involved with outdoor activities.

my only questions would be, who bought the games, the dad, mom or the kid, with money he got for say birthdays, Christmas, etc.

still very funny, and sad, that the dad had to prove a point about getting a job, and getting out of the house for a while.

i can see it now, kid gets a job, saves up his money, buys an underground bunker......

Rigjockey

Supporter
No, That right there is good parenting. I am sure the kid will shape up or maybe not. I was one of those thugs, Part time of course because I have always had a job since I was 14. I made a promise to God and myself, If I made it to 18 I would change my ways. I made it. Then I had to make the change.

My parents bought a Chrysler back in 85 with the intentions of me having it eventually. My Dad always drove the beater and my mom always had the new car. When I was first Licenced, I got to drive around my Dads 81 Volare, Oh yeah buddy! It was but ugly and faded yellow:rolleyes: what ever it was a ride. But I only got to use that if he was not using it.

I graduated to my moms car and was a Chrysler Turismo Black paint with gold metal flake. It don't sound like much but it was better than the banana mobile.
I had to Bus it to the airport where i would push out airplanes, No ****, But no car.

In all honesty, I felt bad for the kids that had cars in high school. For that 2 seconds of glory of starting the car up and driving away, They missed all the good time we had hanging out/ Walking home or bussing it. My town is not rich.

So my last few months in school i got the black car, I was making some money and making payments. Nobody, I mean nobody expected that I would ever graduate high school, **** I was surprised!

Graduation was in the fall so, From spring to fall I made payments. Upon graduation, My card included a debt forgiveness on the car. Essentially gifting me the car. In my my mind I had made payments and worked for most of it. Looking back it was all just lessons in life.

If anyone cares, I beat a 6 cyl mustang in my 2.2 ltr:dunno: anybody? No, Nobody? Alrighty then!:D

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
No, That right there is good parenting. I am sure the kid will shape up or maybe not. I was one of those thugs, Part time of course because I have always had a job since I was 14. I made a promise to God and myself, If I made it to 18 I would change my ways. I made it. Then I had to make the change.

My parents bought a Chrysler back in 85 with the intentions of me having it eventually. My Dad always drove the beater and my mom always had the new car. When I was first Licenced, I got to drive around my Dads 81 Volare, Oh yeah buddy! It was but ugly and faded yellow:rolleyes: what ever it was a ride. But I only got to use that if he was not using it.

I graduated to my moms car and was a Chrysler Turismo Black paint with gold metal flake. It don't sound like much but it was better than the banana mobile.
I had to Bus it to the airport where i would push out airplanes, No ****, But no car.

In all honesty, I felt bad for the kids that had cars in high school. For that 2 seconds of glory of starting the car up and driving away, They missed all the good time we had hanging out/ Walking home or bussing it. My town is not rich.

So my last few months in school i got the black car, I was making some money and making payments. Nobody, I mean nobody expected that I would ever graduate high school, **** I was surprised!

Graduation was in the fall so, From spring to fall I made payments. Upon graduation, My card included a debt forgiveness on the car. Essentially gifting me the car. In my my mind I had made payments and worked for most of it. Looking back it was all just lessons in life.

If anyone cares, I beat a 6 cyl mustang in my 2.2 ltr:dunno: anybody? No, Nobody? Alrighty then!:D
I care deeply

(((ME)))

The new generation of kids coming on board have got a long way to go to learning how this world operates....Cause as the old ones die off the young ones have not learned from them even the basic.
Fingers can be pointed in both ways on this issue...Some house holds require two incomes now. Teachers hands have been tied by telling them they can only teach certain programs in schools now....I say this because art, and a part of the music dept, along with some wielding and shop is no longer taught here and two school have been closed due to fall of enrollment and funding. Some of the kids of today do not even want to work...or even learn the basic. As a kid myself I learned how to work at a very early age and only after the work was done could I play. But again times have changed.

I full agree with what the parents have done with the truck and son...Also would add it would most probably been a matter of time with this type of activity the law would have gotten involved....Better to snip the branch before larger expense arrive. The kid got a lot of growing up and maturing to do. It nice to read of parents that care enough to address the issue this way....That what is called love and in time hopefully the son will look back one day and say....I had a good set of parents.

(((ME)))

A lesson well learned cause just look where you are today....and you got all those sweet treasured memories to look back on too....Yeah life can be good!!!

Rigjockey

Supporter
The new generation of kids coming on board have got a long way to go to learning how this world operates....Cause as the old ones die off the young ones have not learned from them even the basic.
Fingers can be pointed in both ways on this issue...Some house holds require two incomes now. Teachers hands have been tied by telling them they can only teach certain programs in schools now....I say this because art, and a part of the music dept, along with some wielding and shop is no longer taught here and two school have been closed due to fall of enrollment and funding. Some of the kids of today do not even want to work...or even learn the basic. As a kid myself I learned how to work at a very early age and only after the work was done could I play. But again times have changed.

I full agree with what the parents have done with the truck and son...Also would add it would most probably been a matter of time with this type of activity the law would have gotten involved....Better to snip the branch before larger expense arrive. The kid got a lot of growing up and maturing to do. It nice to read of parents that care enough to address the issue this way....That what is called love and in time hopefully the son will look back one day and say....I had a good set of parents.
I think every generation gets softer on parenting than the last, Just because they want their kids to have it better than they had.
My Fathers father thought all the boys where farm hands after school. My parents where much softer, But I had to work for my money. Other kids wondered why I never did homework and fell asleep in class? Because I was working until 2 am and waking up at 7 for school:biglaugh: funny **** for the rich kids.

Now we got parents that are just going to do everything for their kids to make their life better. Then Grandpa gets to telling them about peace and love and unity after he done got a free education in a world of free love, Made a fortune off the very capitalist system they have said to despise.

Now little Becky is entitled and everyone in the real dog eat dog world is Intolerant, a bully, A bigot, a racist, or just unfair!:thefinger:

Rigjockey

Supporter
My Mother and I got to talking about what in the **** is wrong with my cousin? I grew up where we only when home to eat supper and was in when the street lights came on. We grew up with gaming systems, But that was just when outside was not an option. Tobogganing, Snowball fights, Snow forts and hockey, Baseball, swimming and not so much soccer. Bike riding.

My mother is a twin and her sister is a helicopter parent. Ten years between my cousin and I. I spent my summers on the farm. Mom was so worried. Dad was always like, Let him go!
My cousin never went outside.
My Grandfather always called me the little man, Because I was always trying to imitate the adults. I worked my narrow ass off:D

In my teens I got mixed up in some gangs and mob guys. Whatever, you learn a LOT!
DAD did know the mob guys. He trusted me Enough to make the right choice:coocoo:
Dad had enough respect from the mob guys not to get me too deep into ****:bowdown: Honestly i really did not know much about the big picture.

You only knew as much as you needed to know, but you learned respect.

Also you learned being cocky, Got respect. If you could back it up!:thefinger:

GAnthony

Supporter
i had to look up..helicopter parent......

why the ****, can't people just use the descriptions as in the definitions..???? (not a slight towards you, rigjockey, i mean in general, causing someone like me...TO LOOK IT UP....!!!)

Mike

Staff member
I would never do that to my kids. I can take the car away and get rid of it without bringing attention to myself.