Food Safety Modernization Act

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking' started by ironpony, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Sinister

Sinister Smartass Emeritus Supporter

You would think with the packaging industry in this country wrapping everything in vacuum sealed craziness, further steps wouldn't be all that necessary.

2. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Damn! That would be a good user name for the TF:biglaugh:

• Like Like x 2
  3. mosinee dave

mosinee dave Well-Known Member

Just a bunch of Washington beurowcrats trying to solve a problem that was not there.

4. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

If you'd seen half of what I have, you wouldn't think that. Drivers turning the cooling unit off to save fuel or because they don't want to hear it....and times I've been in line for a washout and walked past somenbody's trailer that dripped blood and goo out the back with a stench that literally made me vomit...and I don't have a soft stomach.

The stuff they haul goes on my table and they're not smart enough to maintain a safe temperature or cleanliness level. I, personally, don't think this goes far enough. Operators should be heavily fined if they deliver a poorly maintained load and go to jail if somebody gets sick because of their negligence.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

It's not just carriers.

I have gotten my ass in a ringer for rejecting a load on the dock. You could SEE that it had been thawing for some time and the cardboard was disintegrating from the moisture. Talk about a nightmare. I refused to let it go on my truck.

I've seen the same results at receivers as well. Frozen food going onto 80*+ docks.

Had brokers BEG me to take a load of chemicals for them. "Dude, would you put it in YOUR refrigerator with the food you have to eat for supper?" "Uh, no I wouldn't."......

Then what makes you think that **** should go on MY truck.

You want to haul food, I think it needs to be in a trailer 8 years or newer.

considering using something like this in the coming time.
    @JunkYardDog5958

6. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Most of the loads I haul into the DC have tempa-tattlers in them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mndriver

I'm looking at getting them. I can find some single use stuff. But looking for more constant cold chain management purpose.

It's going to come down to providing additional services for little or nothing.

Location and temp tracking seem to be on everyone's focus.

8. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

We already do that... switched from reporting to the cab to satellite tracking because of the intermodal units. Shippers still put temp monitors in the trailers, but the satellite gizmo reports mode, temperature and hardware faults back to the dispatch computer system. We get automated messages from the computer via the AC terminal when it figures something is AFU.

Really annoying when the dang computer is the part that's AFU.

:mad:

Really handy when something stupid is broke, and they can download a setting change to bypass the mechanical moronic idioticy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  9. mndriver

Yeop. And because one company might provide it, or a shipper/customer demands it, they are making it mandatory across the board.

10. ironpony

Natch... heard mentality to th' max.

11. mndriver

Don't do it though, you won't get any freight to haul. It will be your undoing.

12. ironpony

I'm doomed! :eek:

:biglaugh:

13. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

The warehouse for the plant puts in those tattlers and a GPS thingy for the pharmaceutical loads. They need to maintain temp and they are expensive and also high value loads.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

What if your trailer was only a 45 footer... How many loads would you get?

You can't haul for Tyson or Sysco without a link between the carrier's Qualcomm and their "traffic" offices. When you arrive at receiver and send that arrival message to Prime, Tyson gets it too. And your daily check calls if you actually bother to send them. (I don't).

Get with the newest nerd tech or get left behind, whether you like it or not. Basically what MN is saying. Predicting the temp tracking will eventually be an industry requirement like 53', 13'6" trailers even if not government mandated.

15. ironpony

Lots! The shippers would be awesome by my audacity.

:D

:couch:

What part of the stone age are you stuck in anyway?

As I recall, the only truck you've driven recently is a mufflerless 4 wheeler. Or are you gainfully employed of late?

OK dad. :thefinger::thefinger:

16. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Yep. ;)

17. ironpony

Got a job driving fer CRE, huh? :toothpick:

18. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Yep. I'm an independent contractor. Own my own trucking business. All I had to do was go to Utah and sign on the dotted line. I'm going to be rich. In 5 years I'm going to buy out Swift. :)

• Like Like x 3
  19. Brian Junior

Brian Junior Active Member

As for me - I always shut the unit down while loaded/unloaded. Except the client asks me to keep it turned on.
    Yep it is a bit of fuel waste. And yes sometimes it is better for the load if the unit is turned off.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brian Junior

Brian Junior Active Member

Worked with the sensors twice - it helped to fix a problem in my trailers insulation.

• Like Like x 1