Food Safety Modernization Act

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking' started by ironpony, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Cargo Commando

Cargo Commando Well-Known Member

But they don't. I don't know why it's tolerated. My guess is that trying to corral truckers is akin to herding cats.

rigjockey likes this.
  2. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Sometimes they do. The last place I was at the drivers were all grumbling about the rates and prospective drivers would walk away because of the CPM and then a raise was anounced.

Same thing at this place with current drivers and trying to attract new drivers and our hourly pay is not all that bad in the big picture, But talks of a raise is coming from the main office.

3. Cargo Commando

Yeah, but I'm thinking accessorial pay, not just cpm. What other industry tolerates this - none.

4. rigjockey

My answer remains the same. Open your mouth and say something to management, Talk to co-workers and see if you all feel the same and make it known.

gearjammer and Cargo Commando like this.
  5. Cargo Commando

And when doesn't work - quit, right?

rigjockey likes this.
  6. rigjockey

Yup! Go to where they are paying more if you are not happy. They need you more than you need them.:)

Terry Butler and Tazz like this.
  7. ironpony

ironpony Well-Known Member Supporter

Sheesh! You're not supposed to drive through a lake for a washout.

:D

Duck likes this.
  8. ironpony

National Tank Service, QualaWash (x2,) Express Container, and a place near the Love's.

Anything else? :D

9. Cargo Commando

Sitting online and actually doin it are at odds. Good luck in Charlotte.

10. ironpony

Been down there plenty...

11. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

It's all stuff we've been doing all along. Well, most of us, anyway.

Rain and condensation get into the engine compartment. I had to fix a trailer for some customer once.. It had been dropped a few. days prior. When the Prime driver dropped it, it was running fine. Customer went to load it and it wouldn't start. Code on the unit was "door open." So I pulled the in-line fuse, dried out the connection with contact cleaner and q-tips, then wrapped the connection protector thing with electrical tape without the fuse. Unit ran fine. All I did was disable the door open cutout. But that was 2009, 2010. The design may have been updated since then.

12. ironpony

Door open alarms are usually something to do with the switch. They just disable it via satellite link these days.

13. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Not all trailers have door switches or satellite hookup.

I've had some shipper/receivers insist on having equipment run and others insist on it off.

Seneca has told me to not even come in precooled. Creates more safety issues from the condensation freezing on the floor and making things slippery and sliding bot on foot and forklifts.

14. ironpony

The regulatory language isn't couched in "shalls," so there's wiggle room for variation each operation.

15. Cargo Commando

And how much time did you invest in a washout?

16. ironpony

Not enough to be impressed by it. As I recall, QualaWash gets me in and out with little delay

17. Cargo Commando

Good for you. Anytime I sought a washout - it was a nightmare. Share your experience, and I will mine. Charlotte sucks - period.

18. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Been my philosophy. But what do I know?

rigjockey likes this.
  19. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I can't believe nobody jumped on that easy opportunity for a @Skateboard / air leak test joke. :rolleyes:

ironpony, Skateboard and Blood like this.
  20. Terry Butler

Terry Butler New Member

I agree that reefer pay should be higher than dry van. We run both and they're paid the same but it seems 90% of my loads are reefer. Sweeping out a reefer is difficult and takes me an hour or more including proper disposal of debris. Finding a truck wash and waiting in line takes the same time if not more. I love your idea about many drivers complaining about pay