Feral Cats: TNR Program

Discussion in 'Truckers Pet Stop' started by Injun, May 30, 2016.

1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Awesome idea!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

yeah, but who is gong to pay for this??

i know i wouldn't. i am taxed to death now as it is, and if any moronic state rep puts that up for a vote, not only would i vote NO, but i'd also certainly vote for who is running against him/her as well.

my feelings, they are feral, they will die off sooner or later, same as thier off spring. if people would take care of thier pets and get them "fixed", this would have never been a problem in the first place.

to me, this is saying that we have to accept responsibility for the inaction's of pet owners.

BS to that BS.

3. Daria

Daria Well-Known Member

Forgotten Cats of Delaware - Caring for Feral and Homeless Cats in Delaware

Donations and fees paid to adopt the cats help to defray the cost of spay/neuter.

Volunteers care for the cats. The pet store donates food, litter, and a place for the cats to be shown to prospective adopters. Originally started in Delaware and now also in southeastern PA, Forgotten Cats is one of the largest TNR groups in the country.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

Well lower your income....that's what I did...I usually take 2 months off in the summer then go find something else in the fall

And buy a cheaper house my place is only worth 80 grand and I ain't doing nothing 2 it so they can't raise my property taxes..

Let's them other sucker's work themselves half into a grave by the time they're 50

5. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

They tried this in the rural area that I live and it doesn't work. Only a fraction of the cats are captured and fixed so they don't even put a dent in the problem. There are so many cats running around because of the large dairies that keep them fed. Most people around here solve the issue with a bullet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BirchBarlow

BirchBarlow I hate KW 680s

Farmers like cats because they keep rodents and birds away

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

I agree. The farm next to me claims to have over 60 cats. There are some big toms over there that wonder into my yard to fight with my two cats. We have no choice, we have to shoot them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I have a complex..... wildlife problem here. (I spaced that out cuz I knew it would be taken out of context you freaks..)

Rabbits & squirrels everywhere... Attract coyotes but won't kill mice and birds. Maybe squirrels might eat their eggs or something but they'll get eaten by the larger birds.

I don't mind the squirrels & rabbits but lately, raccoons & possums have been hanging out too.

If I turn feral cats loose out here, they'll chase off the rabbits & reduce the squirrel population.. But they'll still attract coyotes especially since they don't know how to keep their damn mouths shut when in heat.

I dunno,... Maybe just keep a couple of cats in the house to kill mice and just walk around with a 45, 22 & a pellet gun.

Pellet gun for hitting birds and stuff, 22 for the larger varmints for the takedown, then walk up & cap them in the head with a 45 HP to end their suffering.

I'm trying just peeing all over the place first. I've heard that urine from larger animals including humans will scare off most wildlife.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

Before my dog died, he took care of any strange animals in the yard. His only problem was the skunk. He always killed them close enough to the yard so you had to deal with that award winning smell for a few days.:confused:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Injun

Fixed queens don't go into heat. Most fixed toms don't spray.

11. Injun

...as far as this program goes, it's better than anything else I've seen. Cats are very territorial. Even when they're fixed. There's a cat that hangs around in the shop at the DC. She gets fed and lets some of us pet her, but she grew up feral. She kept having litters of kitties, which we would trap and home. None of her kitties went homeless. Somebody eventually managed to trap her and got her spayed. She hates other cats and won't let them anywhere near the shop, or even on the DC property. The latest was a big tom who tried to take over her domain. She beat the **** out of him and ran him off. So..no other cats around and she can't have any more kitties.

The TNR program is a great idea and if it's being funded by private donations, that's even better.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Rodger

Rodger Well-Known Member

My wife took our polydactyl kitten to the flower garden 5 days ago, so it could play while she pulled weeds. Ms. Kitty disappeared in the blink of an eye never to be seen again.(we thought) She showed up on the deck this morning screaming and shaking. My wife said she still hasn't calmed down. If only she could describe to us her 5 day trip, I bet it would be interesting.

We are guessing she was scared away by the strays in our area.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Secretary I had at the dairy did a program like this.It was partnered with the UF Vet school. They did the surgeries for free to train students. Worked great for us.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Well...
    if it was anything like my first 5 day trip...
    never mind...
    you wouldn't believe it anyway.
    :stare2:

Matter of fact...
    I'm not entirely sure I believe it myself.
    :D

:oops:

• Like Like x 1