Diesel fuel gelling - At what temperature do you idle your truck?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
How much of a difference?
I was seeing like a 40-50 cents per gallon difference.

Biodiesel industry is NOT the friend of the trucking industry. The lobby strength of it is huge and powerful and forcing a market demand that would melt if the .gov would step out of it.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I went to my parts city guy and ask him to order them in for me a case at a time. I get them for like $7.50 each. He has to special order them for me. Otherwise I get the XE version which is actually a 5 micron filter and sucks fuel mileage.

SaddleTramp

Aqua? Like a blue?

Most likely an additive.

Diesel and kerosene are not far apart from each other in a cracking tower. Using kerosene is like using df1 or jet fuel. In the army, it was called jp 8. Initial change over was a nightmare for trucks, but after we ran for a while, things got better.

It's naturally clear.

Any additives will change the color. Years ago, flyin j made it a point to dye fuel red. It was a "trademark" for them.
Vaguely remember that.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Bought this last week getting ready for a "flu shot".

Got some bad fuel and I can see moisture collecting in the bottom of the tanks.

911 absorbs the moisture.

Clear diesel cleans the system.

I will dump a bottle of each in a tank and fill it at the end of the day. Run the engine for about 30 minutes and shut down for the night.

Run the entire tanks as low as possible

Change filter and fill up with as much as 210 gallons of fuel.

IMG_20170813_110452688.jpg

SaddleTramp

Bought this last week getting ready for a "flu shot".

Got some bad fuel and I can see moisture collecting in the bottom of the tanks.

911 absorbs the moisture.

Clear diesel cleans the system.

I will dump a bottle of each in a tank and fill it at the end of the day. Run the engine for about 30 minutes and shut down for the night.

Run the entire tanks as low as possible

Change filter and fill up with as much as 210 gallons of fuel.

View attachment 41416
"Change filter and fill up with as much as 210 gallons of fuel"

and stay away from dark/medium roast color.

SaddleTramp

Aqua? Like a blue?

Most likely an additive.

Diesel and kerosene are not far apart from each other in a cracking tower. Using kerosene is like using df1 or jet fuel. In the army, it was called jp 8. Initial change over was a nightmare for trucks, but after we ran for a while, things got better.

It's naturally clear.

Any additives will change the color. Years ago, flyin j made it a point to dye fuel red. It was a "trademark" for them.
What reason for them putting in the additive. What are they treating?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
What reason for them putting in the additive. What are they treating?
no idea what they are treating for.

Next time you get fuel there, ask the manager for the reason it's blue. Or ask them for a copy of the delivery receipt. According to the station owners I have spoken with, when asked, they are required to provide copies to you.