Dayton Tires?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I can't believe I'm about to shut down a thread about tires so I can clean up the pissing match. I mean...really, guys?

Just. Wow.

Mike

Staff member
I had really good results from Kelly tires. Talked to the Wingfoot guy about it. The difference is Goodyear branded tires are newer technology. Last year's technology gets rebranded as Dunlop. Kelly is the older tried and true technology. The materials are comparable among the three. That's how it was explained to me.

I've gotten nearly 300K out of a set of KDA drives, not quite as much out of KDMIs, but both models handled snow and ice well and they were quiet about it.

I won't roll a Continental past my truck ever again. Noisiest waste of money I've ever subjected myself to since I started truckin'.
Because of this post, and this post alone, I am currently sinking all my spare change into a set of 8 Kelly Armorsteel KDA drives. Wanted to go for traction over rolling resistance. If they fail me, plan on sleeping with one eye open ;)

I have balancers on all axles, putting in counteract in the new drive as well.

My plan is to shorten up my operating radius, which means lots of hills, lots of unstable two lanes, more bad weather, and when I do run long, it will typically be out west.

Time will tell how important rolling resistance numbers are I guess, because I have thrown all that out the window with this purchase.

I've already determined that side skirts were worthless. If anything, I'm doing better with my new trailer without them, especially in strong crosswinds.

I've tried lots of things for fuel economy in recent years. Best things go back to driving style, tire pressure, speed, and lots of horsepower.

Mike

Staff member
measired my Yokohama and Bridgestone side by side. I knew they were different in size, but never measured.

Approximately 4/32 difference in tread, but the Yokohama is almost 1.5 inches taller. They both advertise the same rpm.

Tazz

Infidel
Supporter
Because of this post, and this post alone, I am currently sinking all my spare change into a set of 8 Kelly Armorsteel KDA drives. Wanted to go for traction over rolling resistance. If they fail me, plan on sleeping with one eye open ;)

My plan is to shorten up my operating radius, which means lots of hills, lots of unstable two lanes, more bad weather, and when I do run long, it will typically be out west.

Time will tell how important rolling resistance numbers are I guess, because I have thrown all that out the window with this purchase.

I've already determined that side skirts were worthless. If anything, I'm doing better with my new trailer without them, especially in strong crosswinds.

I've tried lots of things for fuel economy in recent years. Best things go back to driving style, tire pressure, speed, and lots of horsepower.
The loose nut behind the wheel is 95% of mileage.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter

I always had all eight spin-balanced as well. If any of them take more than 12 oz to balance, the tire is junk. But might as well start them out in balance so your add-ons only have to correct for wear.