Cummins N14 not accelerating past 16 RPM

Discussion in 'Truck Maintenance and Repair' started by Julionewtrucker, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. I have a 1994 international 9400 with a Cummins N14 with Spicer 9 speed. While driving up a small not to steep hill I seemed to lose power. Once I was on flat ground I saw that the accelerator did not respond or raise the engine past 17 RPM even when in neutral. The only way to gain speed slowly was to switch to a higher gear but was not able to grab a Load. Any help with what this might be

2. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

someone probably has it programmed that way for progressive shifting.

3. So I would have to hook it up to a computer to switch that then?

4. mndriver

Yes.

5. Ok thank you.

6. Is there any other way to switch it off while I get to one

7. mndriver

They are actual ecm settings. So without getting into the computer to change the settings, you are stuck with it.

8. r3gulator3

r3gulator3 Well-Known Member

Progressive shift on a 94? Hmm I guess it's possible. If you can't accelerate under load or past 16-17 without load. Might also check fuel filter/s, air filter, and then start checking for fuel airation. N14 in a binder is notorious for sucking air.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ok, I just asked because for about the last 5months I never had it so this

10. I just Changed the fuel filter and still same. I'll have to try swapping the air filter

11. r3gulator3

r3gulator3 Well-Known Member

I would definitely check for fuel airation. Typical low power complaint on an international with an n14 in the shop we would run a line from the fuel pump into a fuel can and drive around lot if power was good we'd replace the fuel lines from the tanks to the pump. Those old rubber lines crack and let air into the fuel also, they can come apart internally and restrict flow.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Thank you very much, I will try that. I just quit my 40he job to be an independent driver and this is no good start but thank you