Cabmate air ride

wjhuskey

I have a cabmate kit that I ordered a few months ago to put on my 1993 Peterbilt 379, or my 1992 Peterbilt 379, both have a sleeper. I assumed this was a kit to mount under the rear of the sleeper, similar to what a unibilt does. After I got time to finally install the kit, I noticed that it wouldn't fit under the gap under the sleeper, even if I removed the factory bracket. Turns out, its for the cab only and I noticed the truck has a factory air ride bracket already there with air bags. I NEVER knew that I had an air ride cab because it sure doesn't feel like air ride while driving on rough roads. I'm going to look under my 1992 379 when it returns from the body shop, if I can't use the kit on either truck, it will be for sale and I may consider a steer axle air ride kit from Donvel. I want to improve the ride of these old trucks because a good seat isn't near enough. So my question is do they make these kits to give a better ride than the Peterbilt air ride that's already there or only to replace solid factory cab mounts? (Like a 359 probably has)

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I have a cabmate kit that I ordered a few months ago to put on my 1993 Peterbilt 379, or my 1992 Peterbilt 379, both have a sleeper. I assumed this was a kit to mount under the rear of the sleeper, similar to what a unibilt does. After I got time to finally install the kit, I noticed that it wouldn't fit under the gap under the sleeper, even if I removed the factory bracket. Turns out, its for the cab only and I noticed the truck has a factory air ride bracket already there with air bags. I NEVER knew that I had an air ride cab because it sure doesn't feel like air ride while driving on rough roads. I'm going to look under my 1992 379 when it returns from the body shop, if I can't use the kit on either truck, it will be for sale and I may consider a steer axle air ride kit from Donvel. I want to improve the ride of these old trucks because a good seat isn't near enough. So my question is do they make these kits to give a better ride than the Peterbilt air ride that's already there or only to replace solid factory cab mounts? (Like a 359 probably has)
What type of trailer are you hauling?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
If it was a van or reefer, I'd suggest run the tandems as far back as legal, make a smoother ride.

But I admittedly know nothing about hoppers except how to identify one and say, "Hey, that's a hopper" so I can try to sound smart.

Your truck might be what it's going to be. Without lifting the whole thing up and setting it down on another chassis, I mean. I trained in a 2005 W900L. I hated the ride in it. The Shaker I got into after that was glass in comparison.

But the 579 I just got out of... was like floating on a cloud.

wjhuskey

I've always been a Peterbilt 379 fan, and always will be...but honestly, I don't know why they sell for so much more than other trucks if they aren't the cadillac that they claim to be. I guess because they have all aluminum bodies and far outlast trucks with fiberglass hoods. I hear that the flex air suspension is so much better but I can't afford a Peterbilt that new just to use on my farm. These trucks are long trucks and before I owned one, I assumed that they rode really nice. I have one unibilt Pete 379 (a 1998) and I can tell it rides slightly better. But I will be considering the front axle air ride kit made by Donvel mfg for my '92 & '93 because a guy told me, that owned a non-unibilt 379, that it made the truck ride awesome. Should I sell the cabmate kit or replace the factory Peterbilt air bags already under the cab with it? The cabmate looks to be the same exact thing (dual bags and shocks). Couldn't be any better, right?

wjhuskey

I contacted Link mfg and they wanted to see a picture of the air ride suspension that came on my cab. So I sent them a picture. They said back in 1993, when my truck was built, there were different companies making cab suspensions for these trucks...they said by the looks of mine, Link made it but they said I'd get an improved ride if I go ahead and put my new Link kit on. They said updating to the new kit would be better because, unlike the old kit, it has a lateral control rod and the old kit also had lighter shocks. So I guess I'll go ahead and install the kit. I tried attaching a picture of what my truck has on it now but got an error. It's just two little air bags side by side with a shock on the front side and a shock on the back side. Just for interesting conversation, did Peterbilt not make their own cab suspensions in 1993? Was it an optional thing from factory or an aftermarket add-on that my truck just so happen to already have added on? Anyone know why different companies were making them for Peterbilt?