Brand new....seeking any advice

Discussion in 'New Truck Driver Questions' started by HeavenSent, Jan 15, 2017.

1. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

and always wash your hands.....and sanitize the truck stop restrooms before entering, and always look where you step, when you get out of your truck.....

• Like Like x 2
  2. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

I was a driver trainer. Ask every question that comes to your mind. My theory was we have 14 hours, Fire way!
    I had one guy that would question everything I said. Nothing wrong with that!

My goal was to get that student to pass and also be successful after the training was over. If they failed then I had failed (none of them failed)

One guy had a zero pre-trip. They were even hesitant to put him in training. We did pre-trips every morning and he gradually improved.

When he did his final test they had a copy of his first road test in comparison the safety guy said wow did you do a number on this guy, He aced it! That has very little to do with me, That was all on him.

We ran as a single driver not a team operation. that was the program other programs will differ.

One guy could not back up to save his life, We spent Friday morning with me pointing to a hole and standing on the step at first. Later it was just me saying back into that hole and that hole. I froze my ass off! But it was cool to see the progress.:thumbsup:

My trainer was a dick, but I learned and that was all I was there for.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Hard to Handle

From what I've read here- you'll be fine. It's all just common sense stuff. And you appear to have common sense. Pack light (if you forget anything it's no big deal- you can buy it somewhere along the way, so don't stress over that,) keep your attention on the road, practice backing every chance you get, and if you happen to come through Albuquerque while training come say hello to the trailer shop foreman- me. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have so you can give your trainer a break! :)

• Like Like x 4
  4. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

Flip flops.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Twotimer

Twotimer Member

6. Twotimer

Twotimer Member

Take a change of clothes for all weather conditions,"IE" warm,cold,wet"enough "mad money"to get home by ,plane,train,bus,.learn to read your Lardner,be respectful of his/her moods and feelings and share yours.if you make the first session during the training program take the good experiences a training you feel you got from it,leave the bullshit behind, and if you ever become a trainer remember how it was with you. Ias an "old hand" back in the 80'S I took out new drivers for 30 day stints.ran out of the Carolinas to west coast only.did it for a year.got played 150.00 extra per trip which was weekly.sometimes it was worth it,sometimes not.share the responsible equallly.learn all you can from an "old hand" ask questions about things pertaining to operation of trucking.good luck.Don't truck to live,Live to truck.

7. Sully

Sully New Member

I started a trucking back in '86 and one thing I always tell new comers into the trade, which seems like it would be common sense with the younger truckers, USE TECH. Our industry is slow to change. If you were to look at trucker life in a vacuum and asked to point to what year it is, I'd imagine there would a large margin of error. Download trucker specific apps to make the day to day easier and if you plan on ever owning your own rig for god's sake get tracking software for your trailer's assets. You would be surprised, or wont if it's happened to you, at how many truckers lose their cargo and with all the technology and magic around us has no idea where their half million dollar worth of haul has gone. There are plenty resources out there jus look around. I personally use trackyourtruck.com I know a few other truckers use mytruckig.com. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. Sully

Sully New Member

jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzz

9. Sully

Sully New Member

I think some of the younger guys on here are curious about how to have longevity in the trucking industry. It used to be a stable gig but with all the changes in the industry and in tech and business for that matter it's def not. I recommend finding ways to keep yourself relevant NOT AS AN EMPLOYEE but as a skilled worker. If you have skill you can find a use for it and monetize that.

10. Sully

Sully New Member

no doubt. you have to it's become a crazy world

11. left lane

left lane Member

You swift drivers got elogs, navigation on your quallcoms, prepass and mostly drop and hook am i right ?
    If so you'll be fine , im still doin paper logs ,no gps navigation (gotta use my phone ) no prepass and im all live load and unloads, LOL

12. Howard Hauler

Howard Hauler New Member

My only advice is to remember that training is only temporary and that everyone had to do it. Most likely your trainer will be a lazy bum that is unwilling to share "their space" and will spend more time watching movies on their phone than actually helping you to become a truck driver. Don't get discouraged!

13. rigjockey

No actually not everyone had to do training, Some of us were just fed to the wolves or trial by fire.
    Some trainers like myself take pride in sharing knowledge and space Mi Casa es su casa. this truck is more the trainees than it is mine. This is noted by the trainees being assigned the truck on the sat system with dispatch.

14. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i had at least 2 trainees "think" my casa was their casa......smoked, littered, had striking clothes all over the place.

my truck was MY truck, not ever thiers.

told both flat out.."this ain't no college dorm, straighten out your ****, or you'll be **** canned"....

one of'em got thrown out, i told management he couldn't do anything right, needed to go back to school.

they fired him. the other one, pulled his weight real fast.

15. rigjockey

I had the pleasure of meeting one of the trainees the other day, that was there when I was a trainer.
    So I am looking at this dude and he is looking at me and he says I know you, Where do I know you from?
    I almost knew right away, I said what's your name?
    He says his name.
    I says I was Maurice's trainer!
    The back story is that I trained Maurice and my buddy trained this guy. They both started around the same time and both were from Africa so they had a connection there and helped each other and became friends.

This guy now owns his own truck and is in the works of getting his own authority:thumbsup:
    Unfortunately Freddy his trainer and my friend sadly passed away in Tunkhannock, PA while on the road.
    I am pretty sure Freddy is very proud:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
  16. wvsaltshaker

wvsaltshaker Member

So do i. Lol

17. wvsaltshaker

wvsaltshaker Member

Dont be afraid to grind a little. In my experience its better to feel the transmission as opposed to watching the tach.

• Like Like x 2
  18. rigjockey

Keep your eyes on the road your hands on the wheel and your ears on the engine.

19. Bored Insane

Bored Insane Well-Known Member

That's hard to do (at least it was for me, I was concentrating on what I am looking at and my ears were not working). I still miss gears now and then (not grind, but skip because of missed timing). First driving, then parking, I forget after that... I think there's bunch more.
    But I think the most important thing is to ask if you are not sure of anything (before doing it). Stop and verify if anything seems/ feels unsafe (when driving or loading/ unloading). Ask others to help you or tell you what to do (then decide at your own risk). I think most drivers are willing to help female drivers when she asks.

20. dchawk81

dchawk81 Well-Known Member

My shifting gets progressively worse as I get tired.

Especially in an automatic.

• Like Like x 3