Best/Worst Truck Stops

Spartan718

I am new to trucking and what wondering are there any truck stops that I should do my best to avoid? And are there any really nice ones that I should check out?

If you ever come through illinois and you run out of hours around Bloomington, avoid the Travel Centers of America. There is also a Pilot that is a little further down the road i recommend you stop at. The Pilot in Bloomington, il. is a better truck stop to stop at for your 10 hour break.

Vadim

I am new to trucking and what wondering are there any truck stops that I should do my best to avoid? And are there any really nice ones that I should check out?
...for me, i usually go to Flying J, but ONLY if it has a Denny's sign on the bottom, if not I'll be looking for a Love's Truck Plaza, unless no Subway sign, i aing pulling in, nah they are all good but you gotta eat healty, think about it, you cant live off McDonalds all the time, gotta stay healty... but thats my opinion :) other than that, they are all good, i fueled up everywhere even Hess Truck Stop, they all good.

Terry

Gear Grinding Jerk
That's a hard question to answer... It depends on the person.

I think the absolute WORSE truckstop I have ever been to is Love's in Fife, WA... The Pilot in Denver on I-70 isn't much better. I don't know anyone who likes either of those truckstops. Parking is horrible at best and they are in bad areas. That being said about Fife, just a mile or two up the main thrufare, is a very small parking area (full of nails) and next to a great bar called The Milton Tavern (but they sell liqueur despite the name).

I like the Pilot in Rocker, MT because it has an Arby's and there is a Bar called the IT Club within walking distance that I really like.

The T/A in North Bend, WA is a nightmare for parking because the parking fills up fast... But, it's safe and I like going for walks in the area. Also... Mt Si Tavern is a bar within walking distance that I really like.

There are very few T/A's that are good... Most are old and the parking lots stink of Urine... Montgomery, AL T/A had such a problem with Urine you could smell it all the way inside the truckstop.

I like the truckstop in Bonner, MT as well. Nice scenery and never full. (east of Missoula, MT).

Top pick of any truckstop: Bosselman in Grand Island, NE

There are a couple of truckstops I like because they have good memories for me and for no other reason.

Shoemakers in Lincoln, NE
Sapp Bros in Denver, CO
Cisco in Kingsland, GA (they have a golfcart to pick up drivers from their trucks and bring them to the door!). How sad they are gone now... :sad:

I left out Walcott because I rank it as a novelty. I like it, but I would call it more of a tourist trap for truckers.

Terry

Gear Grinding Jerk
You are thinking of the Cisco on the east side of 95 that had the golf carts. That place is closed for about 2 years now.
Bummer... It's been ages since I've been to the Florida/George line.

Guess you can tell I didn't start driving yesterday... Regardless of the rumors in the truckstop when they see me trying to back in when I'm tired after an all night run... LMAO

Duck

Quack
Supporter
...for me, i usually go to Flying J, but ONLY if it has a Denny's sign on the bottom, if not I'll be looking for a Love's Truck Plaza, unless no Subway sign, i aing pulling in, nah they are all good but you gotta eat healty, think about it, you cant live off McDonalds all the time, gotta stay healty... but thats my opinion :) other than that, they are all good, i fueled up everywhere even Hess Truck Stop, they all good.
How's Denny's much healthier than McGrease?

There are a couple of truckstops I like because they have good memories for me and for no other reason.

Shoemakers in Lincoln, NE
Sapp Bros in Denver, CO
Cisco in Kingsland, GA (they have a golfcart to pick up drivers from their trucks and bring them to the door!). How sad they are gone now... :sad:

I left out Walcott because I rank it as a novelty. I like it, but I would call it more of a tourist trap for truckers.
Shoemaker's always has good chili in the C-store area. It's not as good as stuff I make at home, .. but for "public" chili it's pretty good. Not loaded down with beans.

For the rookies who don't know what he's talking about when he mentioned "Walcott", he's referring to the Iowa 80 truck stop in Walcott, IA which claims to be the "World's Largest Truck Stop". I-80, exit 284. There's also two Pilots at that exit, and a CB shop.

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
Denny's suck's The old flying J restaurants where good. Subway sucks.You should look to the Loves they offer fresh fruit. Apples, Bananas , Fresh watermelon, pineapple and cantalope in a 16 oz cup, Two for five bucks. Plus they offer cold cuts so you can make your own Subway sub. Their coffee suck though.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Denny's suck's The old flying J restaurants where good. Subway sucks.You should look to the Loves they offer fresh fruit. Apples, Bananas , Fresh watermelon, pineapple and cantalope in a 16 oz cup, Two for five bucks. Plus they offer cold cuts so you can make your own Subway sub. Their coffee suck though.
Subway sucks?

I challenge you to go to Subway & get one of them "chicken bacon ranch" sammiches & say you don't like it.

Because all Subway employees are brain dead idiots, you have to tell them that chicken, bacon & ranch goes on a "chicken bacon ranch" sammich, ... but anyway, .. white bread, toasted, with chicken, bacon, American cheese, black olives & ranch.

Yummy yummy.

rigjockey

Token Canadian.
Subway sucks?

I challenge you to go to Subway & get one of them "chicken bacon ranch" sammiches & say you don't like it.

Because all Subway employees are brain dead idiots, you have to tell them that chicken, bacon & ranch goes on a "chicken bacon ranch" sammich, ... but anyway, .. white bread, toasted, with chicken, bacon, American cheese, black olives & ranch.

Yummy yummy.
That sounds pretty good, I will have to try that one. The sandwich artists must think that you take it to the ranch to eat.

It's just after a while, Just the smell of the bread baking in almost every truckstop starts to make me sick.

Well not to beat a dead horse...........but yes SUBWAY SUCKS!!!! It is mediocre, pre-packaged, frozen, microwaved, SLOP that is passed off as healthy. The STINK that eminates from them is enough to turn my stomache. I USED to eat there; quit a couple years ago and don't miss it at all. I keep sammich fixins in the fridge and eat a GOOD one whenever I like!

Now for truckstops: a few good ones come to mind; Newell's in Newton KS; Brintle's in Mt. Airy NC, Johnson's Corner in Loveland CO, and the P&H in Wells River VT.

blackw900

Flatbedder For Life!
Subway sucks?

Yummy yummy.

I base my choice of truckstops on 2 things above anything else....If it has a Dennys or a Subway I won't fuel there unless there is NO other option.

I can't stand the smell of a stinkin' Subway and will not eat that garbage under any circumstances!

BirchBarlow

I hate KW 680s
Well not to beat a dead horse...........but yes SUBWAY SUCKS!!!! It is mediocre, pre-packaged, frozen, microwaved, SLOP that is passed off as healthy. The STINK that eminates from them is enough to turn my stomache. I USED to eat there; quit a couple years ago and don't miss it at all. I keep sammich fixins in the fridge and eat a GOOD one whenever I like!

Now for truckstops: a few good ones come to mind; Newell's in Newton KS; Brintle's in Mt. Airy NC, Johnson's Corner in Loveland CO, and the P&H in Wells River VT.
Try dat

krelithous

Prius hater
Supporter
don't mention i tried there meatball sub it was ****ing gross and the meatballs and sauce tasted like they were burned i took it back and demanded my money back and told em it sucked making sure that everyone could hear me:D:p

quiznos is good;)

krelithous

Prius hater
Supporter
Subway sucks?

Yummy yummy.
i challenge you to goto subway and try the meatball sub gross:eek: