Bad shippers and receivers to avoid total disregard for carriers time

Discussion in 'General Trucking Discussion' started by southtrain32, Aug 20, 2014.

1. southtrain32

southtrain32 New Member

Having spent the past 10 days at probably the worst receivers and shippers that totally disregard the carriers time has made me start this thread. Nestles, cambells and rock tenn have to be the worst receivers and shippers out there. This past 10 days I have had the total displeasure to ship from and deliver to all of these facilaties and have never had a worse experience in my 40 years of doing this. But you can bet your behind it will never happen again. If more carriers would just say no to these companies and their product sat on the dock for awhie you can bet they would fix these problems with their shipping and receiving depts. all over the country.

2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

I have picked up and delivered to all three of the mentioned companies and, while their idea of legal weight (Cambell's) and timely service (Rock-Tenn and Nestle) weren't quite on the same level as mine, I didn't find any of them to be particularly objectionable.

If you really want something to complain about, deliver to Wakefern in Elizabeth, NJ or Fry's/Kroeger on the west side of Phoenix.

ironpony and PlagueMachine like this.
  3. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Any C & S warehouse.

ironpony, fr8train and Injun like this.
  4. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Dry side SuperValu Hopkins MN. Purely one person responsible for that. His name is Brian. Dude on a power trip. Last time I was asked to haul to dry I informed them there's a $1000 Brian surcharge. The broker said I wasn't the first to complain about that specific person there.

TTe_Transporter likes this.
  5. DubbleD

DubbleD Color Commentator

I just leave a full one and grab an empty.

No "Brian" involved.

6. DubbleD

DubbleD Color Commentator

RockTenn is usually a pain... They are in NO hurry.
    Nestle is 50/50,
    Campbells in TX is great, Maxton is iffy and Napoleon can truly test your patience but usually is normal turn around.

Now...

Anheuser Busch bottling facilities are the worst. Especially FT Collins. Houston will overload you more times than not, Columbus will make you wash a freshly washed out trailer just for the fun of it...

Not as much fun as fishing but sure beats a day at work.

7. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Not all of us have that luxury

8. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Campbells in Napoleon sucks! I had to take the trailer back twice for them to rework the load to get it legal. Huge waste of time. They have been doing this for so long they should have it down to a science but nope, They still suck at it. Honestly is no one in management looking at the amount of time and manpower wasted on reworking these loads?

9. AK7

AK7 Well-Known Member

OMG,flashbacks to my old icebox hauling days......

I had a run out of Kenosha Beef that went right to 6-10 Wakefern stores and finished out at King Kullen out on the island.
    That was 2 years of my life I'm never getting back.....

Blood, Injun and rigjockey like this.
  10. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

2 years? Damn that is some detention time. LOL.

11. AK7

AK7 Well-Known Member

Good one!!!!!
    The stores were the pits..
    Sometimes it would take 2 hours to get cars moved so I could pull in the parking lot.....
    270"wb pulling a 46' spread axle...

rigjockey likes this.
  12. PlagueMachine

PlagueMachine New Member

Have to agree frys/kroger in Phoenix is bad... horrible accually. Its hot as hades and the gate staff are picking noses and playing games on thier smartphones while your skin turns darker in the hot blazing arizona oven. Heaven forbid you have a hersheys load heading there because you have to dock at all three separate docks for partial unloading at each and of course the one way yard and dirt lot arent much help add to this 3 separate lumper fees and checks you gotta fill out and your there sweating all day. Frys/kroger tollison just die already.
    Now other places that suck how about waiting 23 hours to get loaded at preferred freezer in richland wa. The new facility is great but thier way off on expedition.23 hours wtf?
    Other honorable mentions
    Food lion harrisburg pa... treat you like garbage
    Iams somewhere in iowa... just about as moronic as you can get in how they do business..
    Walmart dc in mccarran nv just outside sparks have fun doing 8 hours waiting just so you can get an hos violation trying to get your trailer back and to a safe parking area. Ok rant over ... good thread btw

Mike likes this.
  13. SpartanBob

SpartanBob Active Member

I've only been driving a big rig since last April, but here are a few places that made me wait a long, long time:
    -- Steelcraft in Cincinnati -- actually it's a suburb called Blue Ash -- One time I was there from 11 a.m. until about 8:30 p.m. on a Saturday and shot my weekend driving home. An earlier shift started loading, then quit when it was time for them to change shifts, then I sat for hours until the second shift resumed loading. When I told them I was almost out of driving time and needed to get out of there pretty soon, they didn't give a rat's behind.
    -- Oil-Dri in Blue Mountain, MS (kitty litter). The first time I went there, about 8-10 trucks were lined up for the four docks (each of which was full), and each truck took a long time to get loaded. I got there about 12:30 p.m. for a 1 p.m. appt. and didn't leave until 8-8:30 p.m.
    -- Proctor & Gamble in Vandalia, Ohio has made me wait 5-6 hours past my appointment time more than once. And this is one of the most anal companies as far as having you write down your driver's license No. sign multiple forms, and allow the rent-a-cops to seal your trailer. If you don't comply exactly with their dictates, they'll make you get back in line.
    As far as Nestle, I am not sure which location you are referring to. The one I go to (Ice Mountain bottling plant in Stanwood, MI), is usually pretty prompt. The place can get quite swamped, but they seem to have it under control.
    It has been a few months since I last posted, and my impression of "cowboy" yard switchers has not changed. Some of these guys seem downright reckless and crazy the way they drive. It's a wonder they don't get fired, but if they keep it up long enough, they eventually will. (Let's hope no one gets hurt!)

14. SpartanBob

SpartanBob Active Member

Man, I must be getting senile....this is like when you have a mental block and cannot think of a name you really should know by heart....WHERE on this forum is the button or link that invites you to "start a new thread"....i.e., a new topic of discussion with its own headline.

It is probably sitting right in front of my nose and I didn't see it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple things to write about and finally have a few minutes to spare.

15. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Click on the area you want to post in eg "trucking news" and look in the upper right corner for create new thread.

16. Rick Vogeney

Rick Vogeney New Member

Good thread. Maybe someday there will be an app for this, like Trucker Path Truckloads if they had red, yellow and green flags for how long you should expect to be sitting. If shippers and receivers were accountable for waiting time and had a direct relationship with carriers we might all be able to work together like one big happy family!

17. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Well-Known Member

Kroger in Houston. Unloading service wouldn't start until they had check in hand.

18. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Malone & Hyde.
    AKA M&H.
    AKA Moan & Holler.

Ages ago.
    Dunno whether they even still exist, I hope not.

The first time I ever decided "damn the consequences".
    Prinks 'lent' me a hand-jack to pull 2,000 lb skids of sugar from an uphill dock.
    o_O

I observed the formalities of pretending to call dispatch for 'authorization' .
    What I really said was, "If these MF's think I'm dragging their **** uphill with a hand jack they've got another thing coming!"

Naturally dispatch gave me the run around so I just scrawled across the BOL, "LOAD REJECTED" and told them I didn't GAF whether they signed it or not.
    Sign, and I'll leave in peace. Don't sign and I'll drop this SOB where it sits and be sporting new signage by this time tomorrow.

They called me to the landline about a half-hour later.
    Dispatch informed me that everything was copacetic.
    No need to get belligerent and I wouldn't have to pay [which I had already promised not to do].
    Just give them another 45 minutes before calling in again.

I didn't get banned...
    but I never got sent back there either.
    :)

rigjockey and Tazz like this.
  19. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

The only place I've ever been banned from that I can recall at the moment was the Food Lion warehouse in Disputanta, VA.

The security guard at the gate thought he was R Lee Ermey. And my reaction was exactly as one might expect. ;)

But I've been back there like 3 times since then. :rolleyes:

One time after waiting like 2 hours after forklift activity had stopped, I went inside the Golub? warehouse in Schenectady, NY and got my BOL off the receiver's desk, signed it myself & left. I was tired of waiting for them to count it. :D

Then several times I've gotten into it with shippers over the "SLC" on the BOL. I rarely remember to put that on a BOL but when they have the sign saying not to, it reminds me & I do. :cool:

ironpony, Tazz and Blood like this.
  20. D-man

D-man Well-Known Member

Nestle in Springville utah
    But there wor king on it wtf:mad: