Axle weight limits with APU exemption

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Would anyone want to add the weight of an APU that isn't functional?
Maybe someone trying to get the exemption with a storage box disguised to look like an APU?

They need a 2000 lb exemption for when trucks are covered with snow & ice.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
There is no 12000# steer axle limit on the interstate, the steer is treated the same as any other single axle, limited to 20000#. The lb per inch limits, and rated capacities are normally well below that, of course.

Les2

Hobbie Trucker
There shouldn't even be an exemption for those things! You want it, you suffer the consciences!

Since they have this weight exemption why can't I have one? My conestoga is for driver comfort and fuel mileage. The third axle I mounted on the trailer is to benefit the roads! That right there is a 3,000 lbs exemption I should get!

lol

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Recheck the Virginia Limit.
Maximum Weight Limitations
The weights shown below are the maximum allowed
except when operating under the authority of an overload
permit as outlined on page 7.
Any one axle ............................................. 20,000 pounds
Tandem Axles (more than 40 inches but no more than 96
inches spacing between axle centers) ........ 34,000 pounds
Single Unit
(2 Axle) ..................................................... 40,000 pounds
Single Unit
(3 Axle) ..................................................... 54,000 pounds
Single Unit (4 Axle) ................................... See chart page 5
Tractor-Semitrailer
(3 Axle) ..................................................... 60,000 pounds
Tractor-Semitrailer
(4 Axle) ..................................................... 74,000 pounds
Tractor-Semitrailer
(5 Axle) ..................................................... 80,000 pounds
Tractor-Semitrailer
(6 Axle) ..................................................... 80,000 pounds
Tractor-Twin Trailers
(5 or more Axles) ...................................... 80,000 pounds
Other Combinations
(5 or more Axles) ...................................... 80,000 pounds
Per inch of tire width in contact
with road surface ...................................... 650 pounds
The weights listed above are the maximum weight limits
allowed. No vehicle can travel on Virginia highways with
a single axle weight in excess of 20,000 pounds, tandem
axle weight in excess of 34,000 pounds, or a gross weight
in excess of 80,000 pounds.
And???

Mike

Staff member
There shouldn't even be an exemption for those things! You want it, you suffer the consciences!

Since they have this weight exemption why can't I have one? My conestoga is for driver comfort and fuel mileage. The third axle I mounted on the trailer is to benefit the roads! That right there is a 3,000 lbs exemption I should get!

lol
Don't be a hater! LOL

krelithous

Supporter

lol
tell that to the tree huggers there enforcing all of this crap

Rigjockey

Supporter
H

16 ply @Injun

We carry APU certifications that allow an additional 600? Lbs on steer axle. Most of the time we scale steers at 12,500+/- so the 16 ply is our logical choice.

I'm now purchasing another set of Michelin steers to replace the Goodyear crap. 10 tires all doing the same scallop and peel and the manufacturer says the tires are not the problem......:mad:
I currently have no APU. I have never had a problem with steer axle weights up to 16,000LBS.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
I dunno if AR statutes read differently than they did a few years ago but they were writing tickets using the 12k steer regs. After several complaints the FHWA paid a visit and threatened to suspend all federal funds until they got with the program.

(c)Maximum Weight on Front or Steering Axle.
(1) The maximum weight imposed on the highway by the front or steering axle of a vehicle
shall not exceed the amount of the manufacturer's axle weight rating for the front or steering axle
or twenty thousand pounds (20,000 lbs.), whichever is less. If the vehicle has no plate attached
by the manufacturer providing the axle and gross weight ratings, the maximum weight allowed
for the front or steering axle shall be twelve thousand pounds (12,000 lbs.).
LINK

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I dunno if AR statutes read differently than they did a few years ago but they were writing tickets using the 12k steer regs. After several complaints the FHWA paid a visit and threatened to suspend all federal funds until they got with the program.
That's cuz they messed with the wrong Werner driver & got the US Marshalls called on them.

Jim-Bob actually WAS telling the truth at the truck stop counter. :eek:

Apu exemption what you are referring to? You get 400, 550 in a few states, and still a small number of states now giving an exemption at all.

This is not a steer axle exemption, it is a total weight exemption. You can be over any axle (not just steer), and/or over gross, with the 400 or 550 being the limit for gross or axle.

Rhode Island, Kentucky, and California have no exemption at all. Many states have no law, but give the 400 via a "no enforcement" policy.

Map of the State Recognition of the Auxiliary Power Weight Exemption | Department of Energy

and

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title23-vol1/pdf/CFR-2011-title23-vol1-sec658-17.pdf

Note, you must have a weight certification, and the APU must be fully functional.

Also note, that this isn't a mandate. The states that are giving 400 by "no enforcement" could nail you at any time if they decide to change their mind about the enforcement.

(off topic, and it will be moved soon enough, but wanted to get this out there for those who weren't clear)
Apu exemption what you are referring to? You get 400, 550 in a few states, and still a small number of states now giving an exemption at all.

This is not a steer axle exemption, it is a total weight exemption. You can be over any axle (not just steer), and/or over gross, with the 400 or 550 being the limit for gross or axle.

Rhode Island, Kentucky, and California have no exemption at all. Many states have no law, but give the 400 via a "no enforcement" policy.

Map of the State Recognition of the Auxiliary Power Weight Exemption | Department of Energy

and

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title23-vol1/pdf/CFR-2011-title23-vol1-sec658-17.pdf

Note, you must have a weight certification, and the APU must be fully functional.

Also note, that this isn't a mandate. The states that are giving 400 by "no enforcement" could nail you at any time if they decide to change their mind about the enforcement.

(off topic, and it will be moved soon enough, but wanted to get this out there for those who weren't clear)
Thxs and wonderful information Mike but I would like to know were you can get or apply for that weight exception certificate?

Thxs in advance,
Denise

ironpony

Supporter
Thxs and wonderful information Mike but I would like to know were you can get or apply for that weight exception certificate?

Thxs in advance,
Denise
Your APU manufacturer would have one (if still needed) - I recall seeing a stack of them at a ThermoKing shop for instance.