Amazing Things Service Animals Can Do

Discussion in 'Truckers Pet Stop' started by Injun, Mar 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Dog, named "Jedi," saved this little boy (who has Type 1 diabetes) from a low blood glucose level emergency, as he is trained to do.
    I had no idea this was possible. However, from @mndriver's description of how his dog behaved before his heart attack, I don't know why I'm surprised.

But this is pretty durned cool.

[​IMG]

Screenshot_2016-03-07-01-46-38-1.png Screenshot_2016-03-07-01-47-05-1.png Screenshot_2016-03-07-01-47-22-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-07-01-47-33-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-07-01-58-00-1-1.png

encouragedlady, Inkeper, Duck and 2 others like this.
  2. Keendriver

Keendriver Hates all of you Supporter

Blood and Tazz like this.
  3. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

There are dogs that alert to seizures and all sorts of things.
    The first ones are usually incidental and just have some sort of sense about certain things.
    It's been quite a while since I read anything about them but as far as I recall there's no obvious trigger for them to alert.
    In the earliest examples scientists thought there must be a scent or something associated but I don't think they've ever pinned anything down.

I recall a 60 minutes episode years ago where some pets knew when their owners were heading home and started acting out with excitement.
    Cameras were placed to show that it only happened when the people were actualy starting home whether it was from work at different times of day, shopping, going out or whatever.
    They deliberately mixed up the schedules so that their would be no way to predict it based on habit.or routine.
    Interesting stuff.

Some dogs are pretty intuitive.
    I'll bet Whitey gets on @Tazz 's bed and drags his butt across the pillow.
    :D

Duck and Injun like this.
  4. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

He has his own bed ;) But Pepper sleeps on my pillow when I am not home according to my wife.

Service dogs can be taught to alert for a number of issues. There is some outstanding work going on in treating PTSD with dogs.

Feel free to check them out or donate here
    Paws For Veterans - Ptsd Service Dogs, Psychiatric Service Dogs, Service Dogs Training

Dogs can sense more than humans that have closed their ears and ignore what their body tells them.

encouragedlady, Blood and Injun like this.
  5. Blood

Yeah, I saw a piece about that but I don't recall where.
    I think they mostly just sense stress and demand attention which takes the subjects mind off their own problems.

Tazz likes this.
  6. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Demand attention, and they will work to get between people and their partners. Not in an agressive manner just creating space.

A lot of times guys (and gals) will feel the crowding but try and gut it out until it becomes beyond the point of problems. The dogs will feel those minor changes in aspect and react.

What little I have had the opportunity to be around some teams it is as much about the dog train the human as the human training the dog. They are taught to always listen to each other.

Blood likes this.
  7. Blood

I wonder whether Whitey & Pepper could be trained to alert when you're being an A-hole.
    :confused-96:
    Never mind...
    they'd never get any rest!!
    :stare1:

:D

Duck, Tazz and Injun like this.
  8. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

WTF makes you think they do not. This is the kinder gentler Tazz

Blood likes this.
  9. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

According to a neurologist in Chicago, only one person has ever been documented on video predicting seizures 15-30 seconds before an EEG machine detected erratic electrical activity in the brain. This guy did it three times during a one week study in 2011. Unfortunately he wasn't able to explain how, other than simply being "tuned in" to the patient.

Dogs & cats do it all the time though. Especially dogs.

Dogs are REALLY good at "tuning in" to a human.

Cats, not so much I don't think.

Mrs Duck's cats don't seem to predict them, but they react by taking off like a bat out of hell. She'll squeeze the cats really hard during a seizure if they're on her lap or something. She's gotten scratched as a result.

10. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

WHAT WE DO – SEIZURE RESPONSE DOGS

11. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

I wonder if one of those dogs could be trained to block her from going down the stairs when she's been having seizures or if the dog is predicting one.

I mean to the point of standing at the top of the stairs & growling at her. o_O

12. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

The prediction thing may take time, but training to prevent her from approaching the stairs is easily doable.

13. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Her partner could also be trained to hit an emergency response button (life alert type) if she goes down hard, or bring her medication.

Duck likes this.
  14. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

And grab a lit cigarette out of her hand during a seizure?

And bite the magnet off the file cabinet beside the bed & hold it up to the nerve stimulator in her chest to activate it?

That would be cool. I could stay gone for weeks!

15. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Cigarette yes, or she could quit smoking ;) No idea about any nerve stimulator but you could put a magnet on the collar and teach them to lay across her chest. Not sure of that would work for you or not.

All of this would take time and a commitment from her to work with the dog. There is no magic training that makes a dog human, it is the emulation of what they think humans want them to do.

Blood likes this.
  16. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

Oh. Never mind. :(

She's so lazy she makes me look like a workaholic.

ME! :eek:

Tazz likes this.
  17. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Like anything with dogs it is going to take time and effort.

18. Keendriver

Keendriver Hates all of you Supporter

The only thing my dog alerts to is the cookie jar.....

"There it is daddy!! there it is!!!"

That's probably me cleaning it up, I'm sure it's more like...

"give me a treat dumbass!!"

Seems to work.

Blood likes this.
  19. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Whitey "talks" to Crys every time she comes home. She says he is saying "I wuv you" I maintain he is saying "I want food" ;)

Blood likes this.
  20. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

I just had an epiphany. STFU @Blood and @Keendriver it can happen.

Sarah does not need a service dog. She has a service @Duck

Blood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.