4300 or 4700 Parking Brake/Driveline Brake sourcing.

Discussion in 'International' started by letssled, May 8, 2017.

1. letssled

letssled New Member

Hello all, I was wondering if someone could provide me with a kit or number to obtain a parking brake for a truck I am rebuilding. My goal is to make it safer for limited on road use.

The truck itself is a 1957 GMC M135 (ex-military truck) GVW around 12,000 pounds. It has a CAT 3306 and an Allison 3200 tranny. T600 transfer case and meritor axles with hydraulic brakes. Sadly, it has no parking pawl. I would like to add a driveline brake off of an International 4300 or 4700. Although I would prefer the 4700 series.

I would like to use the above brake system with a SAHR (Spring Assist, Hydraulic Release), or preferably a SAAR (Spring Assist, Air Release). However, the first step is getting the unit and I keep running into the "I need a VIN or can't help you". None of the local wreckers have anything. I was thinking about mounting this on the input side of the transfer case.

Just wondering what you all think or looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,
    letssled

2. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

Most times you won't be able to source parts locally on military equipment.

By design.

Repair parts are just different enough like they are middle sizes.

It's a rare parts guy that can source them.

How do I know? National guard maintenance Sargeant for 15 years.

Always thought it would be kewl to have some of that military equipment. Til a major flood showed us how unfriendly it was to get parts

• Like Like x 1
  3. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Basic design flaw in the bids process. If I sell a truactor to the DOD I want a leg up on the next round, so having parts that work on "my" models are already in supply. While a kniffler pin for the GM bid will require replacing 1.5 miliion kniffler ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. mndriver

mndriver curmudgeon extraordinare Staff Member Supporter

prevents soldiers from selling parts on the black market too or taking parts home and building a truck for free