2017 gardening thread.

Discussion in 'The Layover Tavern' started by Blood, Mar 5, 2017.

1. (((ME)))

(((ME))) Well-Known Member

About four years ago I quit sinking funds into my place.Due to fact it is in a heavy commercial zoned area. My place is sitting on a water table. City gave epa permission to come in to analyze land and water in my area. The why is unknown.
    Should it ever come up they find a need for this area I would move and just let them write me a fat check.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Duck

Duck Quack Supporter

They were over budget again, so they were hoping they'd find a few molecules of pollutants so they could trace the source and collect revenue from it.

Just my theory. o_O

3. (((ME)))

That something I had not thought about...and quite a interesting twist too.

4. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

oh, ok i got the pic wrong, maybe a banana pepper?

• Like Like x 1
  5. dave350

dave350 Well-Known Member

Do you have to use a Sevin type spray on your eggplant? A couple years ago I grew an eggplant and it got these bugs. It's a certain type bug or fly that tears up an eggplant. I can't remember the name of it but the eggplant leaves developed holes in them. Looked like a shotgun blast if I remember right. I went to the local farm store and after talking to the Farmassist (<--- I just made that up:D) I basically had to use Sevins or I would lose the plant. I used Sevins although I really don't like to use it. And I haven't planted eggplant since. My wife isn't a huge fan of eggplant but it was fun to grow.

You're not alone in your garden disappointment. My carrots went to the rabbits and groundhog as did my beets. I've gotton one god damn tomato and if these limas don't start getting some pods on them soon I'm blowing the whole thing up. :mad:

The horseradish looks healthy though. My lopes and watermelon are ok but they ain't settin no records.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GAnthony

GAnthony Well-Known Member

i think that is some sort of weevil(s), there are many that can gorge in the garden, and just because one may be a potato beetle, doesn't mean that' all it'll munch on.

either this (weevil)

[​IMG]

or this

a Colorado potato beetle

[​IMG]

i do not use pesticides. i check the leafs daily, and if i see any insect, i crush it. sometimes what i have been known to use is a mixture of cyan pepper, paprika, mixed with water and sprayed onto all the plants. the bugs do not seem to like the taste very much.

there are "safe insecticides", but what i have also been known to do is, in the fall, spray the garden with such a "safe insecticide" and let that soak into the ground, hopefully killing any eggs buried.

7. (((ME)))

upload_2017-8-16_9-51-15.jpeg [​IMG] Finally have gotten here...time to pack back for that cold winter ahead.

• Like Like x 3
  8. (((ME)))

[​IMG]Some people dry them and then grind them to use.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dave350

Holy **** balls. :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tazz

Tazz Infidel Supporter

Been a long time since I have seen that. Used to go down to Belen or Hatch and get fresh Chile's.

Dad used to order three or four boxes a year until the DEA shredded one looking for drugs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. (((ME)))

Yes, Tazz there still as good as you can remember too. I have roasted them for the deep freeze and strung that up too then ground them...Good eating either way Green or red. Happy to know I tickled your memory a bit of the good times of life.(With the picture) It still happens every year about this time of year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. (((ME)))

:rolllaugh3:.....Calm down Dave it all a part of my lil world....:nails:

• Like Like x 1
  13. dave350

I finally got a sandwich tomato but the ****er is so deformed you can't slice it for a sandwich. :mad::mad:

It's August 18th!!

My neighbor walked over while I was weedeating. I was telling him about my late arriving tomatoes. He said "man you really suck at gardening" :D

Yeah, thanks a lot asshole! :mad:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Blood

Blood Driveler Emeritus Supporter

Haha
    I came in from mowing and had a big fat double stack tomato sammich right before reading this.

Wish I woulda took a pic for tomato shaming.
    :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • BS BS x 1
  15. dave350

GOD DAMMIT!!!

We had BLTs last night. With tomato I bought from a road stand. :mad:

I SUCK!!!!

(AT GARDENING) :oops:
    No sucking jokes please. :D