2017 gardening thread.

Rigjockey

Supporter
I should build a big fancy plant growing thing this year.

It's why I never planted anything in the spring. By the time I realize it's time to plant stuff, I look at all the crap I'd have to do first and say "yeah I'll do that tomorrow"..

Like I wanta trench and bury a hose to a vertical pipe, with the hose connecting to the pipe underground so them gnawing critters don't eat it, and the lawnmower doesn't chop it up.. and also run one out to the shop so I can blow the water out of the whole system in the fall.

Blah blah blah...

Blah blah blah...

And learning.. Like why in the hell are there 56586 different types of tomatoes?

In my world there's just regular, roma and grape.
No, No **** no! there are hothouse and big old fat to-maters.:)

dave350

I neglected to re-plant the remnants of horseradish root from the time before last.
I was going to throw them out because they were slimy n nasty but decided to give it a go before we left on vacation last Wednesday.
The pic is from yesterday, 8 days from planting.
:eek:
I didn't even water them in and the neighbors said we didn't get any rain while I was gone.

Did yours pop yet @dave350 ?

No mine haven't done anything, and I was looking at the bed I put them in today with Sandy. I asked if she thought I did something wrong. She started spouting off a grievance list that went back twenty years. I said "I'm talking about the horseradish dammit!" :mad:

Anyway...........

We haven't had any rain since I put them in. My lima and carrot seeds have sprouted though. :dunno: So I don't know.

When I put them in I left the crown out of the ground a little. That's what I read to do. If this doesn't go well it's probably going to shake my gardening confidence.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
No mine haven't done anything, and I was looking at the bed I put them in today with Sandy. I asked if she thought I did something wrong. She started spouting off a grievance list that went back twenty years. I said "I'm talking about the horseradish dammit!" :mad:

Anyway...........

We haven't had any rain since I put them in. My lima and carrot seeds have sprouted though. :dunno: So I don't know.

When I put them in I left the crown out of the ground a little. That's what I read to do. If this doesn't go well it's probably going to shake my gardening confidence.
They'll grow.
You can't stop this stuff from growing.

Mine was in a large pot for over a year and didn't grow much at all.
As soon as I moved some to a raised bed it went nuts.

I didn't leave any crowns out on mine but I didn't plant it very deep.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
How does other stuff grow in raised beds vs in the ground?

I wanta make raised beds, about workbench height, some sections a foot deep, others maybe 2 feet for larger plants.

1, to keep rabbits from eating it, and 2, because I'm unlikely to bother pulling weeds if I have to get my knees dirty, and I'm too stupid to keep track of a pair of knee pads.

I misplaced my Ford Ranger today..... AT HOME. :bonk:

I don't know how I'd keep squirrels away from it though.

I don't want to have to go on a squirrel massacre cuz I like watching them bounce around the yard and run across tree limbs.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
OK bring me some and I'll prove you wrong. ;)
BET!
Best case scenario is for my next trip to be a load of 'reaches' out of Elwood.
They are the cab n chassis abominations that I was hauling when you n the good doctor rescued me.
No idea why they're called reaches.
:confused-96:
Maybe @Hammer166 knows.

Do you have a planter or should I bring that as well?
If you plant horseradish at ground level it will take over your acreage!

Duck

Quack
Supporter
BET!
Best case scenario is for my next trip to be a load of 'reaches' out of Elwood.
They are the cab n chassis abominations that I was hauling when you n the good doctor rescued me.
No idea why they're called reaches.
:confused-96:
Maybe @Hammer166 knows.

Do you have a planter or should I bring that as well?
If you plant horseradish at ground level it will take over your acreage!
I wasn't serious about the horseradish. I'm not even sure what to do with it. I'm just pissed that my garlic isn't doing well.

Maybe next time I'll plant it in dirt instead of gravel and wood chips. :D

Natural seeds is what I'd like to get a hold of for next year. Not mutant Monsanto stuff they sell at the stores.

Termaters, peppers, jalapeño, green onion,...

I wonder what I could grow to deliberately allow the rabbits & squirrels to eat, as a distraction from the good stuff. :dunno:

dave350

IMG_1978.JPG
Just for kicks I went out and looked at my horseradish bed and WALLAH!!!!!! Got me a sprout! You have to look close. You have to look real close but I got vegetation. My horseradish has reached puberty. :D

dave350

I wasn't serious about the horseradish. I'm not even sure what to do with it. I'm just pissed that my garlic isn't doing well.

Maybe next time I'll plant it in dirt instead of gravel and wood chips. :D

Natural seeds is what I'd like to get a hold of for next year. Not mutant Monsanto stuff they sell at the stores.

Termaters, peppers, jalapeño, green onion,...

I wonder what I could grow to deliberately allow the rabbits & squirrels to eat, as a distraction from the good stuff. :dunno:
I use a 2x8 or 2x10 and then mix my own soil. I have put chicken wire around my beds if I want to keep critters out. It can be a hassle to weed but it's not too bad.

If you buy heirloom plants you should be ok. Heirloom means the seed hasn't been messed with and I believe it also means the seed is at least 50 years old? Something like that. Heirloom tomatoes are the tastiest out there by far. They don't produce like the hybrids but I don't care, I only plant heirlooms.

Google heirloom seeds and you'll have a lot to choose from. You can still plant the same corn seeds the Indians did many years ago. I think that's cool but I don't have the room to plant corn.

dave350

As far as the horseradish. You can use it to make tiger sauce which you can use on pit beef sandwiches along with a big dollop of ground horseradish. :)
I also put horseradish on hot dogs and sometimes burgers.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
If you buy heirloom plants you should be ok. Heirloom means the seed hasn't been messed with and I believe it also means the seed is at least 50 years old? Something like that. Heirloom tomatoes are the tastiest out there by far. They don't produce like the hybrids but I don't care, I only plant heirlooms.
I assumed heirloom was just a brand name like beefsteak and Roma.

So heirloom is what I've been referring to as "natural God seed" meaning no scientists have messed with it.

Good to know. :thumbsup:

Now I don't have to pester organic gardening people like @Blood to give me seeds. ;)

Last year he brought me a box of tomatoes and several types of peppers and I saved the seeds but then I got them all mixed up and dont remember what is what.
As far as the horseradish. You can use it to make tiger sauce which you can use on pit beef sandwiches along with a big dollop of ground horseradish. :)
I also put horseradish on hot dogs and sometimes burgers.
Pit beef! OMG I forgot about that. It's what the Baltimore area is famous for.

I lived in White Marsh for most of 2000 working for Comcast. Pit beef was pretty much all I ever ate.

Rigjockey

Supporter
I use a 2x8 or 2x10 and then mix my own soil. I have put chicken wire around my beds if I want to keep critters out. It can be a hassle to weed but it's not too bad.

Google heirloom seeds and you'll have a lot to choose from. You can still plant the same corn seeds the Indians did many years ago. I think that's cool but I don't have the room to plant corn.
I learned something here. I did not know what heirloom seeds where. I know enough not to buy Monsanto seeds because you can't replant them. I learnt that on the Netfilx.
It's a communist streaming service:D

dave350

Pit beef! OMG I forgot about that. It's what the Baltimore area is famous for.
Yeah, I'll go over to the price club and get an eye round roast for 2.99 a pound (although I went yesterday and now it's 3.69 a pound :mad:) then you crank the oven to 500 and cook for 5 minutes a pound then turn the oven off and leave the roast in the oven while it cools down. It should give you a medium rare roast and it'll be tender.

Pretty close to pit beef. If you're interested I'll get all the details from Sandy. I know she rubs the meat with some spices. Let me know.

Rigjockey

Supporter
ya know, right now, i got a large container of chinese fried rice. i got it Sunday along with the General Tso's Chicken.

i will be having this extra rice for about 3 days now.

i think that's about all the rice i can stand!
Well throw it in the garden and see if you can't grow fried rice:D In the worst case it will become compost.

dave350

but will more cats come into my yard?

as it is now, fried cat can be a tasty morsel, but i have no place to dispose of the fur.
Well now there's an interesting thought. You're adding a protein source to your diet and the trade off is just a little rice. :thumbsup:

As far as fur disposal just bag it and wait for a windy day. ;)