12.7 fuel efficiency add ons?

mosinee dave

Just bought a 97 fld 120with a 12.7 Detroit . Exhaust manifold is cracked so needs replacing. I see bully dogs ceramic coated are 1400.00. How are those for depentability how about Pittsburgh powers? Have any one else on here taken a older 12.7 and done or added things for better fuel milage? Like the case fuel system?. We have not even put it on the road yet so I Don not know what mpg I will be starting at . Hopefully at 6mpg would be nice to start with. Running reefer in midwest.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Bully dog, Pittsburgh power and full tilt are THE same manifold.

I'd suggest just going straight to full tilt for it. My connection to them? A satisfied customer is all.
Homepage - Full Tilt Performance

We replaced it on the 2003 classic we have and installed a new Borg 171702 non-waste gated turbo on it at the same time we did a full in-frame. You guessed it. Satisfied customer.

Product Index Welcome to Southeast Power Systems - Your Diesel, Turbocharger & Electrical Headquarters

We also replaced his charge air cooler with a brand new duralite evolution because his was slightly leaking. Again. Satisfied customer. I've run an evolution in my 14L for over 3 years now. No issues. Put it in the 12.7 with no hesitation. I put an OEM in my 14L and it was blown in 9 months. Replaced under warranty with the evolution.

Charge Air Coolers | Dura-Lite™

Good tune, good overhead and a mechanically sound engine run at 1500-1550 rpm should be all you need.

37795.jpeg

IMG_20170209_102523.jpg

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I really don't think I'd go much more than what I listed.

Get a good overhead ran
Non-waste gated turbo
Good charge air
A good reliable tune.
Good by-pass filter.

I'm in the process of making kits for a by-pass oil filter. 5 micron rating wix 51749. Sending a setup for @JunkYardDog5958 to install on his truck. He is leased on to my company.

IMG_20170323_211015.jpg

How about installing a fass fuel system? It can help improve fuel efficiency. The mpg increase I got is not huge but still a noticeable improvement. There are other things that I need to do on my truck like getting a turbo, bigger injectors and new exhaust manifold to improve more its mpg.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I'd worry about a solid and tight air induction system, Good turbo, Good injectors and regular maintenance.

Someone would have to show me significant improvements on a dyno before and after to justify the cost of a FASS.

FASS, Air dog and the likes I see as snake oil. And yes, @JunkYardDog5958 just received his AirDog yesterday and is installing it this weekend on his truck. He knows my position on it and such.

I anticipate by July he'll be willing to remove it.

ironpony

Supporter
I'd worry about a solid and tight air induction system, Good turbo, Good injectors and regular maintenance.

Someone would have to show me significant improvements on a dyno before and after to justify the cost of a FASS.

FASS, Air dog and the likes I see as snake oil. And yes, @JunkYardDog5958 just received his AirDog yesterday and is installing it this weekend on his truck. He knows my position on it and such.

I got a solid 0.4 mpg increase after installing a FASS on my DD15. The water separation feature alone is worth it for cold weather operation.

JunkYardDog5958

So far nope I like it. Only about 1100 windy af miles on it so far.