06 Pete number flash on odometer

Discussion in 'Peterbilt' started by canadianhopperpuller, Apr 20, 2017.

1. About a year ago I bought a 2006 Peterbilt 379. It has the C15 Acert engine that has 1.62 million km on it. The guy I bought it from says that it has been rebuilt, but had no paper proof.
    Every once in a while when I open my door with the engine shut off, it'll flash a number on the odometer before it shows the mileage. The number that comes up is 1342177. Anyone know what this could be?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

I'm wondering whether that's the count in American miles? That number of miles looks right for a truck that's 11 years old. I know it equals over 2.16M km, but at 1.62 km, the guy who you bought the truck from averaged only about 1.760 miles/week (2,835 km/week). Even company drivers do better than that.

1,342,177 miles equals an average of around 2,350 mi/week (about 3785 km/week), which is more reasonable.

So, my guess is 1,342,177 is the mileage count. No idea why the km count is different than the conversion from that mileage count...if that's what it is.

3. It did sit for about a year before I bought the truck as well. And it had a dedicated run that had the owner home every night.

4. Injun

Injun Rabid Squaw Staff Member Supporter

Might take it to a Pete dealership and find out what the ECM reading is. Got my curiousity up now, too.

5. I'll have to try that. Maybe they know what it is. Would be nice if it's showing when it was rebuilt.

• Like Like x 1
  6. r3gulator3

r3gulator3 Well-Known Member

It is one of the odometers coming on. Your gauge may have a slight short in it. In most rigs from about 2004 up the odometer would come on with an open door. Frieghtliner it's with the head lp switch to 07 then with door after....I dunno man. That 1.3mil number doesn't calculate to anything unless it's a trip meter coming on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rigjockey

rigjockey Token Canadian.

Comes in handy when you have the truck number, The pin number and the milage memorized and the some asshat starts talking.
    You can just open the door and see the mileage before the pump times out.:D

8. I realize that it shows my mileage when I have my door open. The other number that flashes is the mystery.