Smith System 15/7

Discussion in 'Truck Driving Stories - Tales From The Road' started by TRUCK3R M1KE, Jul 14, 2012.

1. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

Following distance FAIL

Proper following distance....These guys are doing it wrong.

There's no excuse for driving your truck like this. One slip-up and BAM! Hello unemployment + possible jail time.
    View attachment 6609 View attachment 6610
  2. DubbleD

DubbleD Cheef Editer Supporter

Actually due to the fact they are NOT moving. Distance from the vehicle in front of both is sufficient.

Now.. if in fact you were photographing these trucks chasing these cars and YOU were moving as well ... now we gat us a whole new kinda game.

My guess... the light up the road was about to turn green.
    View attachment 17072

Hate when they forget to put it in "D".
    View attachment 17072
  3. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

LoL...they were NOT parked when these photographs were taken. I snap a cell pic like this when I can, to use in demonstrating to others how NOT to drive.
  4. DubbleD

well then....
    View attachment 17073

how safe is that????

hmmmmmm?
    View attachment 17073
    Tim likes this.
  5. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

Plenty. I can grab my phone, activate the camera and take a pic without ever taking my eyes off the road to look at my phone.
    DubbleD likes this.
  6. Duck

Duck .-.. --- ... - Staff Member

Even if there's a cop behind you?
    DubbleD likes this.
  7. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

8. blackw900

blackw900 Flatbedder For Life!

First he says this.......

Then he says this.....

Then he says this....Which by the way is pure BS!

So.....Mr Smith System, You have the gall to say that someone else is doing something wrong while doing something wrong yourself. I know the "Smith System", It's just a way of teaching people good driving habits, That's all!
    I already had good driving habits before I was introduced to the "Smith System" because that's how I was taught to drive by the old trucker that taught me the ropes of this industry.
    I agree that the guys in your photos are following way too close....But the Imbicile in the JB Hunt truck using his camera while running down the road is no better.

I have used my camera plenty of times while rolling and it's no big deal but to do I need to look and see if I'm getting the picture in the frame, So DO NOT say you can do that without ever looking at the camera because we all know that you can't!
    Then you get on your little pedestal and preach to us about how great a driver you think you are while telling us a story that shows that you're no better than the guys you take photos of, It is nothing short of blatant hipocracy.
  9. Duck

Duck .-.. --- ... - Staff Member

First he says this...

Then he says this...

Then he gets on his pedestal & says this...

:rolllaugh:
    TRUCK3R M1KE likes this.
  10. blackw900

Yes I did...

Yes I did.

And I stand by what I said....Because I'm not the douchebag driving down the road takin' pictures of guys and then coming here and bleating about "They are doing it wrong".
    There are plenty of guys out here doing stupid crap and we all do things that are a little on the shady side from time to time "including" myself and "The reformed super trucker".
  11. DubbleD

12. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

Oh snap. I got told, didn't I?

The point of these pictures is to point out the lack of following distance...with a "don't be this guy" theme.

And yeah, BW9, I can snap a pic using my peripherals to see that the shot is remotely lined up and hoping it doesn't come out blurry. If you were sitting next to me, you'd see for yourself. But you aren't, so your hypocrisy theory is just that. I guarantee that you are more distracted by changing radio stations than I was when taking those pics.

But to make you more comfortable, I repositioned my suction cup mount so that all I have to do is push a button (like a dash cam) to get a pic. Mo' betta?
  13. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

Wait...I get it. BW9 is just worried that one day i'll post another pic like this and it'll be of him.

Sometimes we don't realize we are engaged in an unsafe activity until we are shown what it looks like from a different perspective. Do I make mistakes? Sure. I'm not perfect. No one is. But I do my best by paying a lot more attention to my surroundings than I used to, and by being considerably more patient, hence being a "reformed super-trucker".

And if someone else sees these pics and thinks, "Wow, I tend to do that. I should stop doing that", then it served its purpose.
    DubbleD likes this.
  14. DubbleD

You gotta HUMBLE SIDE!

LOL

hey, I was just giving ya some smack... (if ya ever get around to scanning my 20 thread.. you'll see what I mean. I ain't no virgin)
  15. blackw900

Wrong....

I don't do that,Never have! I always leave at least 50 yards of following distance in front of me at highway speeds.
    I've had plenty of guys tell me that it can't be done because people will cut in and fill the gap and while it is true that people will get in that space from time to time, It isn't very hard to ease off the throttle and open it back up.

So....In 40 years and 4.5 million miles I have had one accident and that was when a drunk came down a ramp and hit me on the right side of my truck in 1984 when I had about 1.5 million miles accident free.
    Since then I have never even put a scratch on a piece of equipment and haven't had a ticket since around 1990.

There are very few drivers that can come even close to that record much less top it.

I'm not perfect either....But I'm very good at what I do and I don't have to "pay more attention than I used to" because I have ALWAYS paid attention to what I do.

I'm not a very patient guy....Never have been, But somehow or other it has never interfered with my ability to make good, safe decisions while driving these trucks because when the "old guy" taught me the ropes, He drilled it into me constantly that there was no room for foolishness out here and that it took more time to clean up a mess than it does to do it right the first time.

I took those lessons to heart and have lived by them throughout my entire career.....
  16. TRUCK3R M1KE

TRUCK3R M1KE Nomad

So instead of calling me a hypocrite (for documenting dangerous behavior), how about you just look at the damn photo and comment something along the lines of, "yeah, wow, that's ridiculous", or something?

Or do you always assume everyone that's new on the forum is some moron out to make everyone look bad while tooting their own safety horn?
  17. blackw900

I agreed with you in there somewhere that they were in fact following too close.

No.....I just think that about you.