Purchased a new 2013 Freightliner Glider kit from Harrison

Discussion in 'Freightliner' started by Copperhead, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Injun

Injun Psycho Squaw Staff Member Supporter

3.58 rear, 7.2 to 7.8mpg.

Lower RPM is part of the fuel economy equation, but more important is how hard the motor has to work. You can leave it in high gear with your foot in the middle of the turbo and climb a hill at 50mph and 1100rpm, or you can downshift, climb at 1400rpm/45mph and half throttle. You will get better fuel economy with the lower speed/higher RPM because the engine isn't working as hard.

If you have a turbo pressure gauge, watch what it's doing. The lower you are able to keep that number, the better your economy will be.

This flies directly in the face of most mega-fleet pencil pushers. Their claim is lower RPM, better fuel economy. That only works on flat land and low, gentle rolling hills. It does not work in the mountains.

BW9's engine is able to get good economy because he has it tuned to not have to work hard under most circumstances. And he knows how to drive it.
  2. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

Trucks, regardless of brand, are only as good as they can be if spec'd properly and maintained well. Any truck can be a rattle trap. And basing opinions on the quality of a brand of truck from experience with fleet spec'd trucks is disingenuous to say the least. We all know fleets will not order anything on a truck they can get by without. A well spec'd out truck, even the ones that most perceive as bad ones, can be as solid as any other truck. My current Columbia is quieter and more solid than any fleet spec'd truck I was in. But then, I didn't short change the specs. I spent the extra money to spec it out correctly the first time. Mostly because my intent was to keep it for a long, long time.
  3. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

I will admit, it was a test based on what some have done as well. 7.6 mpg, calculated, for the life of the truck (34,000 miles to date) is not bad with those 2.64's. And pulling is no issue. I have pulled gross loads up some pretty stiff grades and on winding, very hilly, two lane roads and not had any issues. I have pulled loads on grades, that may not have been as long as something in the Rockies, but were actually steeper than most of the mountain country grades. There are a lot of back country roads in the midwest, PA, OH, etc that can be harder to negotiate than a lot of mountain highway running. I have taken many, many 8+ grades with this truck and not had any issues. Have not had to downshift any more than I did with 3.55's or 3.70's. 2.64's in direct drive are identical to 3.55's in double over. 2.79's are identical to 3.70's in double over. And there is a lot of factual evidence that upwards of 60 hp and corresponding torque is lost to the rear wheels by using the overdrives. Eaton has shown it. One of the reason I gave the 2.64's a shot was because of statements made by the senior engineer at Eaton stating how it was far more efficient to do so and run in direct.
  4. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

Update on the setup.... 120,000 miles on it now. Just yanked 46,000 lb of pet food out of Wisconsin to the house today. 7.9 mpg for the day. Actually, pulled off an 8.1 mpg average for the week. Had a couple of lighter loads in there, but also hauled the pet food and steel coils this week. So that 8.1 average was not done just hauling air.
  5. Tim

Tim U.S.Constitution Supporter

Steel coils in a van?:panic:
    DubbleD likes this.
  6. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums:
    I've hauled coils of paper in a van, does that count?

How about tinfoil? I picked up some tall, skinny coils of tinfoil in Virginia once & relayed them to another guy in Kansas City. I think he was taking them to Austin, TX for fans of the Alex Jones Radio Show.
    DubbleD and Tim like this.
  7. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

Yep, quite often. The last one was 13 coils, 43,000 lb. They lay flat tied to pallets. I get coils a few times a month. I never cease to be amazed at the number of folks that have no idea that lots of steel coils are hauled in dry boxes. spread them out across the van floor, down the middle, etc and placed on numerous dollar coin sized pallet stars that lock the pallets to the wood floor to keep them from moving. Most of the ones I haul go to Lozier in Omaha that makes shelving for stores and warehouses.
    rigjockey and Tim like this.
  8. Tim

Tim U.S.Constitution Supporter

Oh! Flatbeder beginner coils!:taunt:
    DubbleD and freedhardwoods like this.
  9. Teej

Teej New Member

Im specing out a Coronado kit with the 12.7. I see you have the ported/coated manifold and BW turbo.Any changes in the ECM? Who did the installs for you?
    We have Pittsburgh Power out my way here in Pa. that does those upgrades and tweeks the ECM.
    I know Fritzgerald has the upgrades on their 12.7's,but they wont change the specs to what I want on the drive train.(same as yours..2.64 or 2.79's,painted frame,others) ..build time is now 8 weeks.
    Why did you choose the 18 over the 13 spd?
    Have you been satisfied with Harrision's since your purchase? They seem easy to work with so far with the specing.
  10. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

The manifold and turbo were installed on the engine by the dealer before they dropped the engine in the glider. I had Trent "Diesel Doctor" get most of the EPA '98 settings out of the ECM. I chose the 18 over the 13 for low end flexibility when pulling heavy out of some interesting areas. It has indeed been useful at times with that 2.64 rear. I don't use it frequently, but considering I got the factory rebuilt 18 for almost the same price as a factory rebuilt 13, it seemed like a good idea. I have been extremely happy with the job Harrison did on my ride and highly recommend them. Was in there a couple of weeks ago, talking with Phil Woody, the guy that oversees all their glider stuff. They have expanded their shops, hired more crews, and are on target to produce over 1000 gliders in 2014. They are swamped with business. And they are very friendly folks that want to make sure you are happy. This in no way is to criticize Fitz, it is just stating that Harrison is a good option when looking at gliders. Harrison does have one issue that is changing. While I was able to really go goofy on tweaking things out on the specs, they are not allowing that anymore. Simply because they are going gang busters on building gliders and it is rapidly becoming and assembly line thing and not so much a one for one build kind of thing anymore. Fitz might have the edge on them in that regard.
    DubbleD likes this.
  11. Teej

Teej New Member

Thanks for your response.
    Did you purchase the manifold/turbo separately yourself and have them install or did they also do the purchase themselves ?
    If I cant get them to do that,that is one big advantage Fritz has with their motor upgrades.
    Also on the the 18 spd tranny..is that a single over? What model?
    In direct,what speed do you like to run at? With this set up and mpg your getting,Im guessing your running sub 65 mph..
    Sorry for all the questions,but I need to have all my changes together and into the factory by tuesday's cut off .
    Really appreciate the feedback.
  12. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

That would be correct. I usually run in the ball park of 62-65 mph (1425-1475 rpm). I only pick up the pace once in a while to get on around someone so I am not sitting out in the left lane all afternoon, or some other traffic situation. When things get back to normal, go back to my normal cruise speeds. It does like pulling hills at 1500 rpm quite nicely and keeps the EGT's below 900F. I also put Walker mega flow mufflers on the dual stacks behind my sleeper.

My 18 is a double over, so I run primarily in 16th (direct). I got the 1850 lb torque version and spec'd 1850 lb torque drive lines. The truck has seen 17th a few times, but never the top hole. I got the manifold and turbo myself, and the dealer stuck them on before dropping the engine in. I got the Bully Dog ported/polished/coated manifold, ballpark $1300 at the time, and ordered a Borg Warner 171702 turbo online for just under $600 delivered.
  13. Teej

Teej New Member

Knowing what you know now running the truck,would you stick with the 2.64's or rethink the 2.79's ?
    Im in NW Pa,so the hills aren't an issue,but will be running SE Pa. and W.V. on a fair share of two lanes pulling NLG/Propane bottles.
  14. Southern Fried

Southern Fried Well-Known Member

Holy Crap..... and I thought a big bag of Purina each week was rough. what the heck kinda critters you raisin' anyhow????:eek-64:
    Duck likes this.
  15. Copperhead

Copperhead Active Member

2.79's are not a bad choice. I would have no problem with the idea of having 2,79's in mine.
  16. Duck

Duck .

Media:
    Albums: