Pittsburgh power vs. Pdi

Discussion in 'Trucking Technology' started by CraigR, Jul 24, 2011.

1. CraigR

CraigR New Member

I have a 2000 model 379 set up with a n14 celect plus. I am interested in doing some motor work and was wondering if anyone had any comparisons between Pittsburgh power and Performance Diesel. I have a 435 turned up to 525 with 13 spd and 3:55 rear ends. I want to tow the mail
  2. bigyellowpete

bigyellowpete Town Bike Supporter

I have the same year, model and engine, and run the Pittsburgh Power, along with a bigger turbo, ceramic coated pistons, and open exhaust. I have been running it for 3+ years without problem in a heavy haul application. If you are only looking at hauling 80k gross weights, you already have more than enough power. If you do either upgrade, make sure you put in a high torque clutch as well, or you will be doing it in no time anyway.
  3. CraigR

CraigR New Member

I carry avg. Gross weight 100000lbs and pulling a bridge lose about 21 mph. Just looking to cut some of that loss pulling the bridge. And looking for little better take off. I have another pete 2005 with a 475 cat twin turbo 18spd with 3:36 rear ends and he can pull away from me at red light and we are about the same pulling the bridge.
  4. bigyellowpete

bigyellowpete Town Bike Supporter

The Pit Power is probably a better way to go unless your ECM is already *****ed. I talked to my engine guy last night, who installs both systems, and he said the Pit power with the big Holset turbo is the way to go. With the work I have done I am putting over 600 hp to the ground on setting 1 right now. Neither one of your trucks has great gears for pulling hills, but out on the flat spots you are turning lower rpm's and saving the fuel for sure.
  5. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Member

As a rule PP in more Cummins friendly than PDI and visa versa, but they are both stepping up their respective games.